6.5 gig Prosser For Sale

I'm actually curious as to what the real specs are now. How in the world did he get those numbers?:confused:

I'm actually curious as to what the real specs are now. How in the world did he get those numbers?:confused:

Like I said - P3-650Mhz with a 33.2KB baud modem?

For someone without much computer knowledge, seeing all of the 1.8/2.66/3.3GHZ CPUs may may someone thinking it must be 6.5, not 650...

33.2 converted to 32? 2^5=32, I have no problem there either.

Just sounds like someone who may have heard a few numbers about his machine before, but otherwise doesn't know computers. If that's the case, he's actually not doing too bad?

I just got another email from him with more specs. Here is a cut and paste of the entire email from him:

MODEM: INTEL (R) 536 EP 56K U.90 FAX MODEM

MEMORY: PC100 - 384 MB

HARD DRIVE: 40 GIG WESTERN DIGITAL

OPERATING SYSTEM: WINDOWS XP PRO SP2

very Basic but well worth it please feel free to make an Offer on it i know it is an older Model but it works perfectly.

MODEM: INTEL (R) 536 EP 56K U.90 FAX MODEM

MEMORY: PC100 - 384 MB

HARD DRIVE: 40 GIG WESTERN DIGITAL

Certainly sounds very possible for this to be a P3-650. And I bet he's connecting at 33.2 with that modem in the past.

I'm posting this in my classroom as a reminder to all students learn your stuff before you start talking about it! Especially if your trying to sell something.

A+ Hardware / Software instructor

I'm posting this in my classroom as a reminder to all students learn your stuff before you start talking about it! Especially if your trying to sell something.

Why? If I try to sell my car and don't fully understand the configuration of my engine and transmission, someone else looking to by a car who also doesn't understand cars isn't going to understand or even care about of any it, and someone who does know cars is going to know what I'm trying to say as long as the numbers I give out are only off by a single decimal place?

Why? If I try to sell my car and don't fully understand the configuration of my engine and transmission, someone else looking to by a car who also doesn't understand cars isn't going to understand or even care about of any it, and someone who does know cars is going to know what I'm trying to say as long as the numbers I give out are only off by a single decimal place?
A car analogy does not really work for computers. With a car, if someone says they have a used Honda Civic for sale and posts a picture, you can figure out what it is pretty easily. You can google search Honda Civic and find a pic that matches and that helps you narrow down the year, or at least range of years. Even if someone just says they have a Honda or a Civic you can narrow things down pretty fast. A bit more searching and you can find engine specs, etc, since a Civic will only have certain engine options. A Civic doesn't come with a Toyota engine for example.

A computer is a different beast. A pic of a case does nothing. Bad specs don't help and is very misleading. That computer may be a PIII 650 but who knows. It could be an Intel or AMD CPU. It could have just about anything for hardware internally. We don't know that he is just off by a decimal place.

Well I suppose you have the right to cheat yourself out of money, look foolish to all your nieghbors, and limit how many people are willing to deal with you, otherwise known as not business savvy

There are also legal aspects of this. If say someone who doesn't know about computers buys this, takes it home and somehow figures out it isn't a 6.5 gig 'prosser', he could be entitled to get his money back. it could be false advertising.

Remember the sale of e-bay for the X-Box box, or the photo of a camera.

just take a look on craigslist, its fool of idiots with no clue about the value (or lack thereof) of their old computers

I hate looking up complete systems on Craigslist. It's either:

1) Someone who bought a system recently and needs to dump it for a variety of reasons. This person wants to get almost full retail for this "great barely used" PC/laptop that's now worth 75% of original price as a warrantied refurb and 50% as used.

2) Someone selling an absolutely antique system (like this guy, BTW I'm 100% sure it has a 6.5GB HDD). They paid $1500 for some PIII/P4/K7 box nearly 10 years ago and want $300 for a "good computer for a student or second computer" when it couldn't even do the laundry for a $300 new budget tower / nettop. Not to mention the 40lb beige CRT and 52x CD-ROM drive. Get real! Even the guys dumping Dell P4 towers by the truckload, usually government surplus buyers, need to get a clue, I am not paying $100 for an 8 year old Dell.

Now I like looking up PARTS since folks that post parts usually know what they are talking about and post fair value.

Ehh now I read that it's a PIII 650MHz with a 40GB HDD.

I don't know about "false advertising" being a defense on Craigslist or Ebay unless it's purchased from an actual business. C2C sales usually default to "caveat emptor."

I hate looking up complete systems on Craigslist. It's either:

1) Someone who bought a system recently and needs to dump it for a variety of reasons. This person wants to get almost full retail for this "great barely used" PC/laptop that's now worth 75% of original price as a warrantied refurb and 50% as used.

2) Someone selling an absolutely antique system (like this guy, BTW I'm 100% sure it has a 6.5GB HDD). They paid $1500 for some PIII/P4/K7 box nearly 10 years ago and want $300 for a "good computer for a student or second computer" when it couldn't even do the laundry for a $300 new budget tower / nettop. Not to mention the 40lb beige CRT and 52x CD-ROM drive. Get real! Even the guys dumping Dell P4 towers by the truckload, usually government surplus buyers, need to get a clue, I am not paying $100 for an 8 year old Dell.

Now I like looking up PARTS since folks that post parts usually know what they are talking about and post fair value.

Too true.

I keep running across ad's like this:

Fresh new install of Windows XP Home Edition including all Microsoft security updates
Complete setup includes monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers
Microsoft Office with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook installed
Microsoft Security Essentials free anti-virus for life installed
(xxx)xxx-xxxx

The hell? How about some fucking details!

"Computer. Runs good."

Zarathustra[H];1036697935 said:
...and that's not a problem?

That might be seen as 'A' problem in some ways, but wouldn't say it classifies them as having problems. The orginal person didn't want to let him know he was giving a bad description because this seller was having problems. I could consider telling a person like that that they are giving false info helping them, not being hard on somebody that is going through a lot of problems.

Get a clue all. It's just a dope trying to sell a lame computer for a bit too much to someone computer illiterate enough to fall for it.

The usual Craigslist crap.

Back