5xxx cards who's NOT having problem.

I got my XFX 5870 clocked at 900 and 1295 with 0 issues,I can play Dirt 2 all day smooth as silk..Is there a program that will allow me to clock higher?
Not sure if Riva Tuner would work..
Also is there a program to stress the graphics for stability?
Thanks

It's an XXX card. I'd hope it could handle it, but maybe not.

But I'm having possibly the same issue at the desktop as well, when it underclocks down to 400. Any suggestions there? (seriously)
That's probably your problem, specifically the higher memory clocks (1300MHz IIRC). I'd bet if you lower those to their rated 1250 speed, you'll have no problem. While ECC on the RAM of the 5870 is a great feature, it makes overclocking it very difficult, as you can think you're stable but you aren't. From what I've seen, most of the chips on the 5870's, especially the earlier ones, don't overclock worth shit. They're 1250MHz chips underclocked to 1200MHz at stock speeds, and while they can and should run 1250MHz with no problems, I haven't had much luck over that. FWIW, I can run my chips close to 1400MHz before a game physically crashes, but before that the performance is shit. After many hours of benchmarking and testing, I've found that I get no performance drop if I keep the RAM at 1275MHz or lower. I leave it at 1250MHz for extra buffer. I have a funny feeling that a lot of people who are having problems simply haven't reviewed the changes in these cards and changed their overclocking techniques accordingly, AIB partners included.

That's probably your problem, specifically the higher memory clocks (1300MHz IIRC). I'd bet if you lower those to their rated 1250 speed, you'll have no problem. While ECC on the RAM of the 5870 is a great feature, it makes overclocking it very difficult, as you can think you're stable but you aren't. From what I've seen, most of the chips on the 5870's, especially the earlier ones, don't overclock worth shit. They're 1250MHz chips underclocked to 1200MHz at stock speeds, and while they can and should run 1250MHz with no problems, I haven't had much luck over that. FWIW, I can run my chips close to 1400MHz before a game physically crashes, but before that the performance is shit. After many hours of benchmarking and testing, I've found that I get no performance drop if I keep the RAM at 1275MHz or lower. I leave it at 1250MHz for extra buffer. I have a funny feeling that a lot of people who are having problems simply haven't reviewed the changes in these cards and changed their overclocking techniques accordingly, AIB partners included.

Huh, doing that caused mu core clock to go from 400 idle to 157 idle, and the memory clock to go from 1300 to 300... Watt usage went from 210 to 160...

But now the screens keep glitching... Glitching bad... So I am going to put it back to 1300,,,

Huh, doing that caused mu core clock to go from 400 idle to 157 idle, and the memory clock to go from 1300 to 300... Watt usage went from 210 to 160...

But now the screens keep glitching... Glitching bad... So I am going to put it back to 1300,,,
Are you using dual monitors? Did you use Overdrive to change it?

I get massive stuttering(?) when I have 2 monitors plugged in even if only 1 is being used. The frame rate tells me 70-100 FPS but feels like 20-50 half the time.

Hi, the thread title says "who's NOT having a problem" ;p

I wasn't... 'til now...

Are you using dual monitors? Did you use Overdrive to change it?

Yes, two 30" monitors... Overdrive caused issues just using it to manually adjust fan speed, so I now use MSI Afterburner, which doesn't cause issues using it to adjust fan speed... But yes, using MSIA to adjust the clock to 1250 caused other clocks to drop, and then the video on the second monitor would jump around all over the place, but then return to it's correct spot after a split second. But when I used overdrive and had that occur, it would cause hardlocks and BSODs pretty fast, so I put the clock back to 1300 in MSIA... Using 9.12 (non-hotfix) here... 5870 XXX...

I wasn't... 'til now...

Yes, two 30" monitors... Overdrive caused issues just using it to manually adjust fan speed, so I now use MSI Afterburner, which doesn't cause issues using it to adjust fan speed... But yes, using MSIA to adjust the clock to 1250 caused other clocks to drop, and then the video on the second monitor would jump around all over the place, but then return to it's correct spot after a split second. But when I used overdrive and had that occur, it would cause hardlocks and BSODs pretty fast, so I put the clock back to 1300 in MSIA... Using 9.12 (non-hotfix) here... 5870 XXX...

whats your voltage @?

if overclocking youre going to have to bump it, its not going to support the speeds without the voltage

I was attempting to clock it back down though. It's factory overclocked, so I'd think it should work out of the box at whatever XFX has it at.

Otherwise no, I don't overclock. But underclocking is what caused the issue I was just discussing.

I get massive stuttering(?) when I have 2 monitors plugged in even if only 1 is being used. The frame rate tells me 70-100 FPS but feels like 20-50 half the time.

Turn your V-sync on.

Hi, the thread title says "who's NOT having a problem" ;p

Alot of people didn't have problems before and have them now. Myself included, though minor... Besides... A thread that full of:

I'm okay!
No Probs!
Me!
+1!
etc...

it gets kinda boring...

I wasn't... 'til now...

lol, thought so. IIRC, when running dual monitors, the card is forced into low 3D mode at idle, not 2D mode. I believe low 3D mode has clocks set at 400MHz core/900MHz RAM. The driver does this though, and I think MSI Overdrive changes clocks via software via the driver. Unfortunately, it doesn't separate clocks like the original Rivatuner did, so I think what's happening is you set a new 3D clock, the card goes to these clocks, realizes it's in 2D mode, applies 2D clocks, then 3D low power, but not before it corrupts the second display. So, the problem is you get grey screen crashes because the RAM is at 1300MHz, but if you try to set it on desktop, it'll crash your display. I think the easiest fix would be to open the game (any game) and then alt tab quickly, apply the 1250MHz memory clock, then alt tab back in and see if you still crash. If that fixes it, you know the RAM was the problem, as I suspect, and you can then apply a more permanent solutions (like a startup profile or a BIOS flash).

lol, thought so. IIRC, when running dual monitors, the card is forced into low 3D mode at idle, not 2D mode. I believe low 3D mode has clocks set at 400MHz core/900MHz RAM. The driver does this though, and I think MSI Overdrive changes clocks via software via the driver. Unfortunately, it doesn't separate clocks like the original Rivatuner did, so I think what's happening is you set a new 3D clock, the card goes to these clocks, realizes it's in 2D mode, applies 2D clocks, then 3D low power, but not before it corrupts the second display. So, the problem is you get grey screen crashes because the RAM is at 1300MHz, but if you try to set it on desktop, it'll crash your display. I think the easiest fix would be to open the game (any game) and then alt tab quickly, apply the 1250MHz memory clock, then alt tab back in and see if you still crash. If that fixes it, you know the RAM was the problem, as I suspect, and you can then apply a more permanent solutions (like a startup profile or a BIOS flash).

Is this for the game crashes or the desktop crashes? I am experiencing both.

At 1250, both my desktop and games are glitchy. At 1275, ditto. Only at 1300 do the glitches stop.

My power supply was a suppossedly top-notch P&C Silencer 750 watt Quad PSU. It was 2 years old already. Replacing it with a new Seasonic M12 750watts PSU, the problems went away

What??? This makes no sense...you didn't increase your wattage at all. You only increased the amps! Are you running two 5870's?

The Silencer has a single 12v rail with 60 amps, and the seasonic m12d has TWO 12v rails with 38 amps each for a total of 76.
If you were trying to draw too many amps then yes this could solve your problem but if not your power supply was going bad and PC power & cooling has a 5 year warranty. Send it back they have great customer service.

when i first installed it and had an initial run of crysis it lagged and ended with the infamous black and gray screen. After an initial defrag and restart, i haven't seen the problem yet.

when i first installed it and had an initial run of crysis it lagged and ended with the infamous black and gray screen. After an initial defrag and restart, i haven't seen the problem yet.

I'll never understand how a defrag can or should change anything?

But I just played Crysis myself... With my card underclocked, it was a mess, and it even crashed the driver.. Put stuff back to defaults, and it ran perfect...

I also read about turning the HDMI audio off, have now done that...

I'll never understand how a defrag can or should change anything?

But I just played Crysis myself... With my card underclocked, it was a mess, and it even crashed the driver.. Put stuff back to defaults, and it ran perfect...

I also read about turning the HDMI audio off, have now done that...

Hey I'm telling it as it is. I don't know i just did that since i went to bed and let it do its magic. Crysis looks gorgeous now and after turning on some shaders on enthusiast, i can honestly say its still one of the most beautiful games ever made.

No problems so far. Had my Sapphire 5870 for a week now and everything works perfect.
Games Tried:
Crysis (not warhead)
Dirt 2
Dragon Age Origins
Overlord 2
Borderlands
Far Cry 2
Unigine Heaven Benchmark (yes I know it's not a game)

I have been using a XFX 5850 for almost a month now. It locked up once in MWF2, but other than that, it has performed flawlessly. I am very happy so far...

My two week old card is still running fine. Sometimes my machine doesn't boot on the first try, but that is a motherboard issue. My only complaint is the memory not overclocking for shit. It literally won't hit 1250mhz.

Well, I just bought a 5850. I seriously hope I don't run into any problems. Hopefully the new drivers will fix all these problems by the time I get my new computer up and running.

Have had my XFX 5870 (stock) for a few days now running 9.12 hotfix drivers. Not one problem to report. I went with an ATI card even though I have Nvidia's 3D Vision setup.

I tell ya, I haven't missed that one bit. The performance with this card is amazing.

Update:

I am still having the 2D desktop stripes and the monitor displaying "out of signal" error message turning on my pc which goes after one of two restarts.

Gaming my card is PERFECT.....not a single problem YET.

I dont think its a driver issue...gonna RMA the card when stock is back.

Update:

I am still having the 2D desktop stripes and the monitor displaying "out of signal" error message turning on my pc which goes after one of two restarts.

Gaming my card is PERFECT.....not a single problem YET.

I dont think its a driver issue...gonna RMA the card when stock is back.

Just read today on another forum that people are reporting that uping their CPU Vcore fixed their issues...

I'm in the same boat as someone on another forum mentioned: several GSODs a day, then go a week without issue, then several GSODs a day again... I tried disabling HDMI audio (actually thought this worked 'til today...), and now they are suggesting disabling Catalyst AI... Now I've done that, and nothing for two hours...

I'm going to try the Vcore tweak if it starts up again...

An Nvidia card works perfect in my system... They're speculating that these new ATi cards want a 110% stable system to work stable...

Just finished building a Asus Crosshair III, AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE, XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition,

Catalyst_9.12_Hotfix_Win7_Vista_8.682.2RC1_[Guru3D.com]

Running rock solid, no artifacts. Only problem I had was updating the Bios for fan control on the GPU but was quickly resolved.

After rebooting the system, my screen went black, but the system remained running. It was resolved by inserting my backup GPU with the 5970 that had to be reflashed in the secondary lower pci express slot. Then swapping the order of the flashfiles, so that the flashfile 589ACNB0.bin that was supposed to go core 0 went to core 1 and vice versa. Seems like ATi swapped the master and slave positions. So if u download HD589ACNBX from XFX and your screen goes black, try switching 0 and 1 around on the .bin files.:D

i have 2x sapphire hd5850 in cf. they work fine. tf2, bioshock, mw2, l4d2. i have sold many hd 5770 1gb (his and xfx) and as far as i know they are all working fine.

How about the new 10.1 driver? Anyone got any problem?

With the old drivers, I was having GSOD/BSOD maybe once a day...

With 10.1, I can't last three hours... And this is at the desktop...

Powerplay (or whatever it's called) has my core clock jumping around at the desktop literally every few seconds... Every time MSI Afterburner polls the core clock, it's at a different Mhz... Sometimes 600, sometimes 400, sometimes 587, sometimes 547...

But never the same clock two seconds in a row...

Ridiculous!!!!

I have a XFX 5770 and at stock speeds it works great no problems, but if I OC it even 1 mhz it gives me these black lines and flickering on the desktop, browser, game menus etc.. but once into a game I get no artifacts

I have a XFX 5770 and at stock speeds it works great no problems, but if I OC it even 1 mhz it gives me these black lines and flickering on the desktop, browser, game menus etc.. but once into a game I get no artifacts

If you load MSI Afterburner you'd see the flickering is being caused by Powerplay downclocking your card...

I was increasing my CPU Vcore lately thinking that helps, but since with the 10.1s I realized I was getting BSODs but no GSODs, I decided to put my Vcore back where it was (rock solid stable) before I ever bought the 5870...

And now no BSODs or GSODs...

I might be back to stable...

hmm you are right, guess I wont be overclocking the video card then.

OCing the card is fine. It's when it downclocks too far that you see the glitching you were talking about...

I bet you have dual monitors?

Back