5xxx cards who's NOT having problem.

I'm not having problems.. well 1 of 2 (of my first cards ordered) came DOA. Returned and got another through newegg. No problems since.

9.12 hotfix

Windows 7

Q6600 @ 3.6

5870 @ stock / and overclocked

Runs Heaven benchmark DX11 19x10 all night long no problems.

Update:
Ok I get the vertical lines crash when trying to run either the heaven benchmark or dirt2, both dx11 games. TF2 and borderlands run fine. I updated to the august 2009 directx runtimes. Was there one after that?

I updated to 9.12 hotfix. Still stock clocks.
I employed the xml fix to powerplay which is forcing those clocks to 400/900.

EDIT: ok after changing the clocks, dirt2 seems to work now, at least after a reboot.

Last edited:
as far as ocing ram I read that the ddr5 ram used in 58xx cards is ecc, meaning if you push it too far it will actually declock itself....slow itself down and as far as I'm aware this is new on gpus....supposedly if this is true you no longer should get artifacting when ocing ....I know this is how I used to be able to tell when to back off or when I was close to a cards sweet spot when stepping their ram clocks. Lines are the actual gpu if I'am not mistaken either having a faulty bios/bios problem, problematic core, or part of pushing it too far...if it is artifacting out of the box then I would rma it....you should never have to underclock imo....you paid good money for a card that should atleast meet advertised specs.

Last edited:
FYI guys, when I had my 5850 I was using vista 64 sp1. I wonder if the issue is due to vista sp2 and windows 7. I'd definitely try flashing to your motherboard's latest bios as well, and perhaps flashing to the asus oc bios.

Zero problems with my Sapphire 5870 and with the latest BIOS flash, zero problems with Eyefinity (no flashing on the displayport).

I had occasional gray / striped screen lockups with a silverstone 560W PSU (2 x 18A 12v rails). Have had a Corsair 850W TX in for a week and no lockups or issues at all. From what I've read the 5870 likes at least 40A on the 12v rail.

XFX HD5870 XXX Edition. Running maxed out Dirt2 and other games for hours on end. No issues at all, the performance is amazing. Installed since Christmas.

Other specs in sig.

I had occasional gray / striped screen lockups with a silverstone 560W PSU (2 x 18A 12v rails). Have had a Corsair 850W TX in for a week and no lockups or issues at all. From what I've read the 5870 likes at least 40A on the 12v rail.

I doubt it. If it ate 40 amps on a 12v rail it would be pushing 480 watts by itself.

Asus 5870 (stock) running 9.12 drivers (official) no problems. Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit Q6600@ 3.6

With all the reports of these cards locking with strips, gray screens Im just curious as to how many are working properly. Are you OC'ed and what brand/drivers?

Havent had it yet running XFX 5870 9.12 w/hotfix not OC'ed

One issue//HDMI port doest like my LCD ACER 23" forget model
Sapphire 5770/9.12s/Stock/October timeframe
Win7 Pro X64 RTM
Currently Hooked up DVI-Dx2 LCDs.

OK its only been installed for 3 hours but no problems with a Sapphire 5850. Just played an hour of MW2 and smooth as butter. It was on my 4870 but that died with a bright white flash and a puff of smoke - I kid you not :eek:

I was getting random lock ups on mine while gaming(the XXX O/C version) Put the clock speeds to 850/1200 and haven't had a problem since. Voltage increase might fix it but the performance increase is not worth the hassle IMO.

One issue//HDMI port doest like my LCD ACER 23" forget model
Sapphire 5770/9.12s/Stock/October timeframe
Win7 Pro X64 RTM
Currently Hooked up DVI-Dx2 LCDs.

I just picked up a Saphire 5850 and a 23 inch Acer P235H and I have had 0 problems with HDMI,overclocked to max settings in CCC,Dirt2 or any other games no problem so far..

Saphire 5850
i7 860
EVGA P55LE
Silverstone ST85ZF PS
Windows 7 64 bit

Nary a problem to be had with the HIS 5870 runnin 9.12's.
Very pleased with this card.

Hi,

XFX HD 5770
Current OC 920 core 1300 mem
Driver package 9.12

Issues: Currently none. originally one issue with with the initial install. I got vertical lines across the screen. However, I was making the switch from Nvidia to ATI graphics. I did do a driver cleaner before the ATI install and turned out one after. My guess was an in use driver from Nvidia causing some issues. The CCC driver package I downloaded from ATI, acted on the first try too. Once again I narrowed it down due to the card switch. After I got the issue resolved everything ran smooth. After a test run, I started tweaking the clocks for the card. So far 920 for the core, 1300 memory. Looks like it has more room to run. This might be shaping up to be a nice card.

checking in. Currently trying out an Asus 5870 (have 30 days to make the decision to keep or not).

No grey screen crashes or anything severe like that but i'm having other issues although not related to the 5870 particularly. My issue is with ATI in general i suppose as seen here: http://www.hardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1482396

I was getting random lock ups on mine while gaming(the XXX O/C version) Put the clock speeds to 850/1200 and haven't had a problem since. Voltage increase might fix it but the performance increase is not worth the hassle IMO.

After reading a few other post I might need a new PSU. I'm using a 650TX at the moment. I ordered a HX850 modular. I'll bump the clock speeds back up see if it helps. Where'd you guys get the BIOS update for XFX cards? I looked on the website, logged in, saw nothing.

FYI, OC'ing your new HD 5xxx series cards will not use the default power play library profiles, therefore in some scenarios your card may not be getting enough voltage during a "low load" scenario causing screen corruption. However, I think with new drivers this problem may have been fixed. If anything try disabling any OverDrive changes to begin with.

OK so i have a XFX XXX hd5870

no issues so far. just played crysis for 2 hours and temps are solid with GPU at 60C and CPU at about 40C for all 4 cores, and Harddrives at 30C

the only issues ive had are 2 BSOD but not sure what they are related to.

XFX 5870 stock cooling @ 800/1200 w/auto fan control (Cat 9.12) - no problems at all.

MSI 5970 with cat 9.12 on 64 bit Win7 RC. Just installed it & it is OK so far. Did a complete ATI driver removal first with revo, ccc & aml. Then pulled my 4870x2 & popped in the 5970, installed cat 9.12 & checked hot-fix, but it said my driver is up to date. Ran 3DmarkV with 21613, 22308gpu & 19765cpu. Gpuz says it's OK as well. I'll try some games later & keep U informed

None so far, but its been less than 24 hours. So far I'm loving this card more than my GTX280 SLI'ed cards!

Thought I'd add another post since I picked up another 5XXX card. I sold my 5850 since I'm not playing a lot of games right now. I picked up an XFX 5770, and it's working perfectly as well. I would also add that I'm pleasantly surprised and impressed by the performance of this card being a mainstream part. I popped the card in, booted, rebooted, and everything was ready. I started up Dirt 2, turned a couple of settings down, but left most up, and the game still flies at 1920x1200 in DX11. I was totally expecting to have to turn everything all the way down to keep my framerate where I like it, and I didn't need to. I imagine the Cryses games would be a different story, but I rarely play them anyway. This is a really solid card for the money. (128bit bus or not)

I just picked up a Saphire 5850 and a 23 inch Acer P235H and I have had 0 problems with HDMI,overclocked to max settings in CCC,Dirt2 or any other games no problem so far..

Saphire 5850
i7 860
EVGA P55LE
Silverstone ST85ZF PS
Windows 7 64 bit

Havnt been home to check my LCD model yet but I think that is the one from pictures.
Could be my HDMI cable, not worried about it as I dont plan on using HDMI anytime soon..

Received my XFX 5870 last week. Been playing Crysis/Warhead @ Max settings with 2x AA @ 1920x1200 without an issue. Haven't overclocked and been running Cat 9.12's + hotfix from day 1.

No grey screen crashes or weird color distortion. So far I'm very happy with this card. I came from a nVidia 7900GT so the difference is night and day with gaming.

Only thing that's been odd is Windows 7 Experience Index reports only a 6 for 3D performance. I'm sure that's due to remnants of the nvidia drivers somewhere in the OS. Ran driver sweeper, but still didn't fix it.

I'll eventually do a format and reinstall of the OS, I expect that number will go up after that has been done.

I got my XFX 5850 XXX (my first ATI/AMD card ever) about a week ago and only had one problem. Catalyst AI was causing Borderlands to lock up, so I turned that crap off. Since then it's been fast and stable.

Edit: Well, except for the Resident Evil 5 mega-ugly DX10 HDR glitch, which is apparently caused by the drivers and hasn't been fixed yet. So far I've concluded that both ATI and nVidia have shitty drivers. Just can't win in the software department, huh?

New Visiontek 5850 works great. Only issue is black bars in Unigine Benchmark. I've emailed them but don't actually expect a response.

Still no problems whatsoever on the xfx 5870. Absolutely none with 9.12 hotfix. Played MW2 for quite a long time yesterday too, for like an hour. I also left the pc on during the day for about 6 hours from this morning until I got home and it was still running when I got back. Guess I got a good card maybe, oh yah, running @ 900/1200.

checking in. Currently trying out an Asus 5870 (have 30 days to make the decision to keep or not).

No grey screen crashes or anything severe like that but i'm having other issues although not related to the 5870 particularly. My issue is with ATI in general i suppose as seen here: http://www.hardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1482396

I take this back. I am having a major issue with mine. My DVI port just died.

From previous post on different thread:
"Wow the DVI ports really are dead now. I've tried pulling out the card for a while, reseating it, using yet another dvi to hmdi cable, hooking another pc up to my monitor just in case, using a utility called hdmiOn.exe as recommended by a friend and several more combinations of timing the boot up of pc and powering on of monitor. It truely am left with only the card's HDMI port. Well... perhaps the display port works but I can't test that. So it looks as though I need to return the card after all. :( I can probably exchange it for a sapphire one if that will make a difference. But I don't want to exchange it and have this happen all over again. "

Hopefully this isn't a bigger problem then just one unlucky user with a defective card. I've purchased an additional 5870 to see if the problem is repeatable.

Good and bad news...

So as I said earlier, I went to frys today and picked up another 5870 to test this. Here they are side by side. They look exactly the same. Anyways, I'm happy to report the XFX 5870 does not exhibit the same issue as the Asus, even while following the same steps that created the issue with Asus meticulously. :cool:

Bad news is, of course, I need to return this defective Asus. And because I bought it from Central Computers, that means I get to eat a 15% restocking fee. Oh well. And no i'm not going to even bother putting the asus as a secondary, not even to test. Why? Because technically, in my current financial situation, I shouldn't even be considering the purchase of one 5870, never mind two! :eek: LOL! And something tells me once I see my favorite games with two 5870s, I'll some how make the rational to only exchange the asus to keep both. I gotta protect myself, from myself, lol.

Last edited:
I doubt it. If it ate 40 amps on a 12v rail it would be pushing 480 watts by itself.

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that the 5870 used 40A on its own. I mean in a loaded system (i.e. highly clocked quad core pulling on the 12v rail as well).

Before swapping in the 850w for the 560w I set my cpu back to 2.66ghz stock from 3.6ghz and noticed almost no issues.

Have had the 850w corsair in for 3+ weeks with my cpu at 3.6 with zero issues. So for my setup the 12v rail amps was the problem.

Back