5xHDD's into 3x5.25" bays converter

JonTa

Weaksauce
Im looking for cheap solution, to accommodate 5 hdds into 3 bays.. I've seen this in 'show off thread', but can't find a single place that would sell this in europe. anyone know where to get hold of them?

thanks for the link, but would really prefer 5 in 3 option.. like this one;

71777581bo5.jpg

most of the 5 in 3 are hotswap which aren't cheap, but I remember seeing some that weren't hotswap, just real basic for like $20, can't remember where

yea, i have myself two hot swap versions in lian li 343 cube, but im planning to ditch those and go for 6× basic ones, since i dont use hot swapping + the hot swapping have bad cooling.. if anyone spots one of those basic vertical disc mounting cages, please let me know..

yea, already looked into Lian Li EX-34N, but if only would be in 5 in 3 form.. I dont want to loose 6 drives with 4 in 3 bays, as i have 36 sata ports avaliable, so i want to have 30 drives in 5,25'' slots + 6 at the back with lian li 120mm cages - thats max for pc343..
Guess I need to make custom design and then get someone to make it up for me.

The picture i've attached above states that this bays are; 3x 5.25" bay --> 5x 3.5" bay adapters (from California PC systems)

i've checked the californiapc site, but cant find them.. would need some pictures, to see how it looks likes

I swear I saw one before but can't find it now
why not get that norco case? it has hot swap built in, would be cheaper and a lot easier if you need to replace a drive

how do u mean cheaper? and wichi norco case ar u talking about?
i already have the pc343 case, i just want cheap solution to put in 30 drives infront in 5.25 bays.. im not interested into hotswap, as this is my HD content streaming server, and i have my drives on all the time..

i've checked the californiapc site, but cant find them.. would need some pictures, to see how it looks likes

Just check Ockie's Galaxy 2.0 build here (The very same CalPC units):
http://www.networkisdown.com/showthread.php?t=276&page=2

But here's an important bit of info about those CalPC 5in3 units:
Now, one last piece to the puzzel.... drive mounting units. I called CalPC and it turns out that they have increased their prices for the drive mounting units I originally bought for $30 or so a pop, they now want $50 a pop + shipping.?

So six of those would total up to $300, the same cost as the Norco RPC-4020 case.

However there is another alternative if you're that dead set against hot-swap:
3-to-5 Mounting bracket - $29

Very bare, more than likely have to rig up a fan in front of the cage. Though $29 is a bit too much though...

Quick question, how do you have 36 SATA ports available?

Just check Ockie's Galaxy 2.0 build here (The very same CalPC units):
http://www.networkisdown.com/showthread.php?t=276&page=2

But here's an important bit of info about those CalPC 5in3 units:

So six of those would total up to $300, the same cost as the Norco RPC-4020 case.

However there is another alternative if you're that dead set against hot-swap:
3-to-5 Mounting bracket - $29

Very bare, more than likely have to rig up a fan in front of the cage. Though $29 is a bit too much though...

Quick question, how do you have 36 SATA ports available?

hey, thanks for the links! i have already found a company here that can make u everything out of aluminum, so im going to drawing board, and will make 5in3 bays..

ports are;
Asus P5BV/SAS (12ports)
2× AOC SAT2-mv8 (16ports)
1× Adaptec RAID 3805 (8ports)

hey, thanks for the links! i have already found a company here that can make u everything out of aluminum, so im going to drawing board, and will make 5in3 bays..

ports are;
Asus P5BV/SAS (12ports)
2× AOC SAT2-mv8 (16ports)
1× Adaptec RAID 3805 (8ports)
you should really consider that Norco case
would probably be cheaper and MUCH easier, especially if you ever lose a drive and have to replace

thanks for suggestion, but first of all, im from europe and there is no single 'online' store to sell this, second I can't see the benefit of this case over mine pc343 which can hold up to 36 drives vs 20 drives in norco case.. i have all the parts already, so im just after 6 cheap bay converters, like 10€ per piece = 60€ for my server to be finalized..

really appreciate ur helping with this tho..

Hi guys, that's my server that was posted earlier, they're the same NON HOTSWAP bays that Ockie used in some of his older builds. They can be purchased from California PC (http://www.calpc.com/) but they are not listed on the website. Either call them up (1-800-394-4122) or send them an email (calpc at calpc.com) asking for the "Five in three drive bay coolers" - You can choose between black and white. They were $25 shipped from California to New Jersey for a single one. I've bought six of them over the years, just call them up.

Here's the system with four of these cages:
hddmv6.png

Still have three bays left :D

EDIT: Oh, if you want the machine to be quiet, make sure you ask to get your cages with no fans installed. The fans they provide are very high RPM server-grade fans that move a crazy amount of air, and are not quiet at all. I ordered mine fanless and dropped in some very quiet Enermax fans.

I guess that is the real question here. I don't know. It seems Chenbro OEM's for everyone, but I don't see their stuff for sale in the US.

I ran across these while looking for something else.

http://www.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_detail.php?serno=83

have just placed an order for 6 of them.. was looking all over the net, mailed at least 15 stores/distributors.. its 21 EUR per unit, which is a bit over what I was looking at first, but still well worth it..

now i'm only missing 20 1TB or 1.5TB drives :), but i think will go with WD Green 1TB 5400rpm drives for my Blu-ray storage..

thanks Kil4Thril for spotting this out

Back