5Ghz Processor (stock)

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
Do you think we will ever see a four core processor that has a base clock speed of 5Ghz? Or is intel/amd just going to keep adding more and more cores?

There is one out right now. the 8086K does 5Ghz out of the box but with 6 cores. This is my 2nd one. It's running at 5.2Ghz across all cores. I haven't delidded this one but if I did it would run in the high 60's under load and at 5.4 to 5.5Ghz. lot of guys are getting these speeds after delidding.
Right now it hits low 80's under my new Corsair H150i Pro. Love the CPU.

stock, bios switch? same difference?

My Asus Hero had it set at 5Ghz but I didn't look, it could have just been one core. I don't know.

I do know I have all cores sync'd at 5.2ghz and under load I'm high 70's, low 80's. This was 20+ minutes of Prime95.

There is a $100 bill in front of you but because it's just out of your reach, you don't pick it up and instead walk away.

And, I guess there are some guys like that.

Part of me believes that they already have a 20Ghz processor with 50 cores in a vault somewhere however they need to build up to that and make the consumer pay for every little increment.

The question was if there would be one released with a 5GHz base clock and you go on to talk about your overclocked processor.

How much voltage does your CPU need to keep that 5.2GHz overclock? How much power is is consuming? How hot are your VRMs? How long will it last before you have to down clock it because it's degraded? How long can your motherboard provide 100+ amps of current to feed the CPU?

There's a reason Intel's and AMD's 5GHz parts were halo products, and even then they only boosted to 5GHz+ under certain conditions. The power consumption is just too high beyond 4.5-4.7GHz for most people.

Part of me believes that they already have a 20Ghz processor with 50 cores in a vault somewhere however they need to build up to that and make the consumer pay for every little increment.

If that were the case, then we'd wouldn't have have the 2-10% per year performance increases we've had for the last 10 years. And those increases weren't all from clock bumps. They're hitting real physical limits of silicon now, and all the low hanging fruit that gave us 30-100% gains year over year are all but gone.

stock, bios switch? same difference?

My Asus Hero had it set at 5Ghz but I didn't look, it could have just been one core. I don't know.

I do know I have all cores sync'd at 5.2ghz and under load I'm high 70's, low 80's. This was 20+ minutes of Prime95.

There is a $100 bill in front of you but because it's just out of your reach, you don't pick it up and instead walk away.

And, I guess there are some guys like that.

The OP specifically asked for a *stock* processor - MCE isn't stock and not all VRM's and cooling solutions can handle it.

There is one out right now. the 8086K does 5Ghz out of the box but with 6 cores. This is my 2nd one. It's running at 5.2Ghz across all cores. I haven't delidded this one but if I did it would run in the high 60's under load and at 5.4 to 5.5Ghz. lot of guys are getting these speeds after delidding.
Right now it hits low 80's under my new Corsair H150i Pro. Love the CPU.

It does 5ghz single core oob. Not all cores. No CPU does 5ghz oob stock on all cores. Pipe dream. Maybe when we get to 7 or 5nm but proba ly 5nm which is possibly the electron limit since most electron orbitals are just barely less than 5nm from the nucleus of an Si atom.

Last edited:
Intel could, if they'd jiggle AVX to not run at full rate somehow.

So the last 15 years of failing to exceed 5 GHz in mass-production products was just a grand conspiracy?

Even with processors designed for speed-first (Pentium 4 Prescott, FX 9000-series Piledriver refresh, and now Coffee Lake refresh), we've never gotten close to exceeding 5GHz in a mainstream part.

But must be a grand conspiracy, led by the Illuminati, who own all the world's fabrication plants (and tell them to never share the news)? And of course corroborated by all the schools, so they don't tall anyone about the 0.00000001 nm process technology they teach all those students.

Let me tell you on this quite clearly: if Intel had all the answers to the processing world solved and in a vault somewhere, they wouldn't have lost Android to ARM, they wouldn't have let Apple match them on performance/clock, and they wouldn't have let AMD own them for six months of lost sales to Ryzen.

The fact that we have such a competitive processor market is testament to how behind Intel really is, and how little space they have left to grow (without some new technology to replace Silicon).

Conspiracy theories go right out the window as soon as you realize how many millions of people are involved just pushing the state-of-the-art in fabrication technologies, let-alone the fabulous results of those efforts (CPUa, GPUs, and tons of custom ASICs.)

Last edited:
Intel made a special Xeon for fractional trading scammers that was a 5GHz quad a year or two ago.

They might, back in 2009/2010 was talking to a friend (who wouldn't make this up) whose uncle worked for Intel as a engineer and they already had 24 core CPUs back then, but I'm sure the clock speed was sub 2.5ghz. There is no way they are near 20ghz though, maybe 5.5ghz lol. Pretty sure they do have 50 core processors though.

They might, back in 2009/2010 was talking to a friend (who wouldn't make this up) whose uncle worked for Intel as a engineer and they already had 24 core CPUs back then, but I'm sure the clock speed was sub 2.5ghz. There is no way they are near 20ghz though, maybe 5.5ghz lol. Pretty sure they do have 50 core processors though.

Yes, it's called Larrabee, and it uses the same architecture as the Intel Atom (with a high-performance vector unit) with a high-speed interconnect. So it's not exactly built for single--threaded performance (what users like you care about).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larrabee_(microarchitecture)

There's no conspiracy here, only complete misunderstanding by Pathological Liars who won't keep spouting their bullshit.

Intel turned these into the Xeon Phi, which has yet to light the world on fire. Because GPUs are still more efficient, and more dense.

Last edited:
Multicore is crap anyway. Until compilers can magically make code multi-core capable transparently, cores are borderline useless IMO.

Oh god, not the GHz war again. Anyone remember Netburst? IPC is what matters, not clock. Asking "will we ever see XXXGHz CPUs?" misses the point.

Oh god, not the GHz war again. Anyone remember Netburst? IPC is what matters, not clock. Asking "will we ever see XXXGHz CPUs?" misses the point.

There's a fundamental limit to how many things can get done during one clock cycle. So IPC improvements are limited. Netburst wasn't bad because it focused on clock speed, it was bad because it sacrificed IPC to get there. What matters getting more work done every second, and that takes a combination of IPC and clock speed.

Back