5970 launches Wednesday ?

If e-tailers are already accidentally posting product pages, it doesn't seem so unlikely to me.

I'm excited to see how well it overclocks. :)
 
Lets hope some new drivers come with it that support Crossfire/Eyefinity. It pains me to see the second 5870 in my PC is doing absolutely nothing atm :(
 
Lets hope some new drivers come with it that support Crossfire/Eyefinity. It pains me to see the second 5870 in my PC is doing absolutely nothing atm :(

The 5970 is the reported name for a xfire, single PCB, dual GPU card.

If the drivers that come out before/when the card launches fail to provide adequate support, PM me, and I'll start handing out the pitchforks.
 
Like a hole in the head! :p But I need one too!

No seriously. I made the stupid mistake of RMAing my 5870 to Newegg. And they refunded me my cash instead of sending me another 5870 or at least giving me my card back. It really sux. I exchanged emails with them and the most they could do was offer me $25 bucks off my next purchase. Now I need either the 5970 or the 5870 Eyefinity-6 edition. I really miss the performance...
 
Now I'm torn whether to get two 5870 crossfire or a 5970. The money is not a major factor in my decision. I will probably go with whatever I can find in stock first.
 
Wasn't the 4870x2 better performance than a pair of 4870 1GB cards in Xfire due to the onboard Xfire chip? I wonder if we will see the same phenomenon with these cards.
 
Damn, that was quick.

Maybe the 5970 is the reason you can't find a 5870 anywhere.............damn ATI.:D
 
Damn I so want to get this upon release, but that review saying to Lucid Hydra couldn't recognize a dual GPU card currently is going to make me hold off.
 
Hey, I don't think I've heard from Kyle lately in many of the forum posts except one thread on tessolation. Hehehe. Perhaps he's busy writing a review and cramming to get it done within another day or so. A review of ...something? *wishful thinking*
 
Damn, that was quick.

Maybe the 5970 is the reason you can't find a 5870 anywhere.............damn ATI.:D

You could be right.
Otherwise its damn stupid to release another card on 45nM when they cant fulfill current orders.
 
You could be right.
Otherwise its damn stupid to release another card on 45nM when they cant fulfill current orders.

Agreed, but, oddly I think that putting out the 5970 could potentially help boost sales in 5850, 5770 and 5750.

People often look at the best-cars on the market and dream about owning say a Lamburgini, Ferrari, etc but realistically have to choose a more moderate car. I feel that often though, they'd be tempted to buy a cheap Ferrari if one such existed but alas a cheap Ferrari is an oxymoron but cheaper ATI cards than the 5970 do exist. By taking the performance crown away even if only for a few months, it helps give ATI the image of being the best? top of the line? etc which could help to their advantage. If nothing else, it gets them a ton of PR on hardware magazines, review sties and other sources. While nVidia touts the mighty power of Fermi with GPGPU white papers?

Sometimes being known for being top of the line is better than being known for being budget-orientated. IE Ferrari versus Hyundai. Note that's probably a decent comparison since a Ferrari can probably go double the speed an average Hyundai can ;).
 
Yep. I agree. It's the same methodology driving the 5850 purchases.

You want the closest affiliate to the best, without spending that kind of money...


of course, this is [H] :)
 
Check your local Frys tomorrow. They often put the cards out a day b4 the official release.
 
Agreed, but, oddly I think that putting out the 5970 could potentially help boost sales in 5850, 5770 and 5750.

Sales boost? Have you looked at e-tailers stocks of 58xx cards lately? A supply boost is the only thing that will boost sales right now.
 
While I'm excited this may be coming to market very soon...

Whose case is this going to fit in anyway though?

I don't think it would fit in mine...
 
While I'm excited this may be coming to market very soon...

Whose case is this going to fit in anyway though?

I don't think it would fit in mine...

It would fit my p-62k as I have plenty of room for my 5850 with at least 4 inches to spair.
 
I might have to move some of my watercooling tubes around to ensure the card fits..but I don't think I'm ready to drop $600 for this anyway.
 
The 5970 is the reported name for a xfire, single PCB, dual GPU card.

If the drivers that come out before/when the card launches fail to provide adequate support, PM me, and I'll start handing out the pitchforks.

I'd be really surprised if they launched the 5970 WITHOUT proper Eyefinity support. I mean, come on, that is one of the main driving features of the 5800 series. Plus, they've been saying that xfire support is coming. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you 5970 early adopters ;)
 
So I am building a new system, but realistically it won't be fully purchased/assembled until early January. I'm thinking of waiting until then to pick up this card, my only concern is that the prices could go up and the stock could be sparse. I'm thinking I am being paranoid and will probably just wait.
 
So I am building a new system, but realistically it won't be fully purchased/assembled until early January. I'm thinking of waiting until then to pick up this card, my only concern is that the prices could go up and the stock could be sparse.
Supposedly we're supposed to expect an influx of RV870 chips by the end of the month, but I really don't know if it's going to be enough to accommodate the existing SKUs and this new SKU in any decent way ("decent" meaning retailers can keep them stocked).

My bet: if we see 5970's launched hard tomorrow, I think we can expect to see them gone by the end of the day and then to maintain the same supply trickle the current cards are going through for another few weeks at least. It sure seems like the wrong move for AMD if that's the case, but what do I know.
 
Wow, its a bit of a lemon at launch as it is thoroughly outclassed by the dual 5870 setup in stock performance and is a terrible clocker compared to the 2x5870.
It also lost the HDMI connector, they should have lost the Displayport connector instead.
f'in company politics ftl.

They could not Loose the display port slot because its needed for eyefinity.
 
Wow, its a bit of a lemon at launch as it is thoroughly outclassed by the dual 5870 setup in stock performance and is a terrible clocker compared to the 2x5870.
It also lost the HDMI connector, they should have lost the Displayport connector instead.
f'in company politics ftl.

Yeah it seems like power draw is the killer here, the power rating is 294W and the cable config is 300W, while the 5870 hardware has room for big overclocks I think the power is limiting true 5870 speeds.

Deal breaker for me I think, for the price tag I'd expect a true 2x 5870 card, or at least reliably capable.
 
Wow, its a bit of a lemon at launch as it is thoroughly outclassed by the dual 5870 setup in stock performance and is a terrible clocker compared to the 2x5870.
It also lost the HDMI connector, they should have lost the Displayport connector instead.
f'in company politics ftl.

I wouldn't say it is a lemon. 1, the drivers are mature for such a new card that isn't official supported. 2, The power consumption is a lot nicer than I was expecting hince why such the low clock. I imagine that their oc tool that they were using was one of the reasons for such the low clock. 3, as stated, the dp is needed for eyefinity. every highend card from ati ships with a dvi-hdmi adapter. What I would have like to have seen with this card is the 6 mini dp version. I imagine this will be refreshed in the coming months. Right now, keep an open mind to a single review. Still waiting on hard.
 
The HDMI shares with one of the DVI ports, so you can only use one or other other.

Or remove displayport and use 2xDVI + 1xHDMI or a variation on the theme.
They arent compelled by law to use Displayport at all.
 
Less complicated than implementing "another" display connection standard?
Do you know what the complications are?

Nope.

I rather have seen them use pure mini dp ports to be honest but thats just my opinion.

Curious though why do you dislike display port so much?
 
Nope.

Curious though why do you hate display port so much?

Not many monitors, that aren't Dell specific, have actual DP ports built in. That means we have to fork out $100 for an active adapter. I would have preferred being able to use HDMI+DVI+DVI-- but I don't doubt there is some kind of technical limitation, which made ATI/AMD go this route. That our Dell bribed them ;)
 
Back
Top