• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5970 Eyefinity 8x and up AA problems

SeaFoam

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 13, 2004
Messages
5,066
I don't know if it's the eyefinity resolution doing it or what, but whenever I go to 8x AA and up my frames drop from like 70s to literally half a frame a second...

It has happened in BC2, Star Trek, Arma 2 and now Medal of Honor.

I don't know if it's just using up all the memory or there's something going on with the card. I don't remember having that issue with my 5870 but I dont think I ever had the settings up that high.
 
how much ram does the 5970 have ? what your eyefinity resolution?

based on you statement the card seem to running out ram. only solution would be to get 2 2gb 5870 or the 4gb 5970
 
You don't have the frame buffer to run 8x AA in Eyefinity resolutions. You are maxing out the available memory.

You would need a 4GB 5970 or 2GB 5870, and even then, 8x AA at 5760x1200 is probably not going to happen in modern games.
 
This thread is a joke right?

...right?

You will NOT run at eyefinity resolutions with 8xAA, with pretty much any card. I could bet that even the 4GB 5970 or 2x 2GB 5870s would struggle to run that sort of setting at playable framerates (at least in modern games)

They just don't have the RAM for that kind of stuff.
 
how much ram does the 5970 have ? what your eyefinity resolution?

based on you statement the card seem to running out ram. only solution would be to get 2 2gb 5870 or the 4gb 5970

I have been looking at another 5970 for crossfire, but I don't think they have fixed CF/eyefinity problems. I figured I was running out of memory but I am surprised it dropped so low, actually my MB went bad (still functions) but needs to be RMAd and I suppose it could be a combination.
 
I have been looking at another 5970 for crossfire, but I don't think they have fixed CF/eyefinity problems. I figured I was running out of memory but I am surprised it dropped so low, actually my MB went bad (still functions) but needs to be RMAd and I suppose it could be a combination.

Yea you are runnin out of memory.

5970 4gig or 5870 2g in crossfire is the way to go
 
Yea you are runnin out of memory.

5970 4gig or 5870 2g in crossfire is the way to go

Well, 8x isn't that big of a deal - I can turn up other settings to take care of that. Was just making sure it wasn't an issue with the card.
 
2x 2GB 5870s in crossfire won't even do it..... I have two Asus ROGs right now in 5040x1050 (3 x 22") and over 4x AA makes the games run too slow.
 
anything above 4xAA and you need 2GB of ram per card. Although, if you really want 8xAA I don't think eyefinity will be very satisfactory performance wise no matter what.
 
anything above 4xAA and you need 2GB of ram per card. Although, if you really want 8xAA I don't think eyefinity will be very satisfactory performance wise no matter what.

Depends on the game, a lot of them work fine at 8x+ just a handful (which will increase as time goes on) won't.
 
Back
Top