• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5970 craziness

Loafdogg420

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 2, 2010
Messages
445
Sup people. I recently built a new system wrapped around an i7 and a Sapphire 5970. I almost had a major cardiac event when I threw the video card in for the first time and received no signal. The strange thing about it is my mobo booted normally (FF) and I could tell by HDD load that it was booting to windows. After checking connections I decided to re-seat the card in one of the lower pci-ex slots. At that point, vid came up and everything appeared to be normal. I switched it back to the primary slot and this time it worked... ? Maybe it was a bad connection? But anyway, once I reinstalled drivers, I tried running a 3d app and that's when the real panic set in. Regardless of the game, the driver would stop responding and if it didnt kick back to windows, it rebooted. I've heard some rumors about a "cold bug" and was starting to feel like that was what I was dealing with. I have the DangerDen FC block on the card and idle at about 78F, load 90F. lol. I was not expecting those kinds of numbers. The ambient temp in my office hovers at about 68 so its the ideal environment. So, I started to adjust some voltages and tried about 10 different driver versions with no luck. I was ready to RMA the sucker when I read about the regular 5970 having problems with manual fan control, etc. I flashed the BIOS' to the newest available for the card (according to Sapph support), not the OC version. Now, 3d performance is there but I still get a few random driver errors. At first, I thought I made a mistake grabbing this beast of a card but now I feel that with some real drivers (ATI, hah!) I wont see any glitchy crap.
 
My overclocked 5870s in CFX don't approach those heat levels on air.
 
Yeah that's like 26C and 32C, respectively. Those are amazing temps. I got 92C (200F) with the stock cooled 5830!
 
It' not a cold bug. My 5970 and 5870 (both watercooled) idle temps are 24 celsius. That's cold. :)

Your problem is with idle 2d clocks that are too low at 137/300. Just make a CCC profile and raise your idle 2 clocks values to 400/900. It will solve ALL your problems.

Had the same ''problem''. Raised the 2d values to 400/900 6 months ago, and never had a single crash/freeze/BSOD/GSOD or ''display stopped responding blah blah blah'' message since then. Rock stable with both cards at 1000/1200. :)
 
The Gigabyte x58 UD7 (applies to UD3 and UD5 also) boards have a BIOS setting to select which of the four PCIE x16 slots is your primary video adapter. Did you select the appopriate slot for your card?

Also, you may want to ensure it is in a full x16 slot (the first or third full-length PCIE x16 slots.)

I recently installed a UD7 (last weekend) and installed two 5970s, and watercooled the board, GPUs, and CPU. So far no issues.
 
I don't experience driver issues, either, and generally I think the 10.5 drivers are fine. There may be a few applications that have problems, but otherwise they're ok.

And if you're watercooling, don't worry about VGA BIOS updates that fix fan speeds.
 
It' not a cold bug. My 5970 and 5870 (both watercooled) idle temps are 24 celsius. That's cold. :)

Your problem is with idle 2d clocks that are too low at 137/300. Just make a CCC profile and raise your idle 2 clocks values to 400/900. It will solve ALL your problems.

Had the same ''problem''. Raised the 2d values to 400/900 6 months ago, and never had a single crash/freeze/BSOD/GSOD or ''display stopped responding blah blah blah'' message since then. Rock stable with both cards at 1000/1200. :)

Good deal. I will adjust the 2d.

My liquid cooling loop runs from a 360mm to the cpu, then IOH, then 140mm, then 5970. I think its a good amount of wattage being dissipated. but 24c, very nice. how are your load temps?
 
The Gigabyte x58 UD7 (applies to UD3 and UD5 also) boards have a BIOS setting to select which of the four PCIE x16 slots is your primary video adapter. Did you select the appopriate slot for your card?

Also, you may want to ensure it is in a full x16 slot (the first or third full-length PCIE x16 slots.)

I recently installed a UD7 (last weekend) and installed two 5970s, and watercooled the board, GPUs, and CPU. So far no issues.

I have it in the top-most 16x slot and I have it selected as the primary slot also. So far, im loving the ud7. worry-free install and amazing OC capabilities.
 
Wow. Just saw your sig too lol. extreme cooling. Any pics of that bad mofo available?

3 loops 4 triple rads

Mountain Mods Extended Ascension. You can see 3 triple rads on the front panel, and one triple on the top panel. You can see the 3 pumps MCP655 and the 3 res. Also, the 5970 and 5870, both with their own loops.

4674955256_8557934d55_b.jpg


4674947476_b62e84e181_b.jpg
 
It' not a cold bug. My 5970 and 5870 (both watercooled) idle temps are 24 celsius. That's cold. :)

Your problem is with idle 2d clocks that are too low at 137/300. Just make a CCC profile and raise your idle 2 clocks values to 400/900. It will solve ALL your problems.

Had the same ''problem''. Raised the 2d values to 400/900 6 months ago, and never had a single crash/freeze/BSOD/GSOD or ''display stopped responding blah blah blah'' message since then. Rock stable with both cards at 1000/1200. :)

Can you tell me where you go for the CCC profile and the 2d clocks because I'm new to this. thanks
 
Mountain Mods Extended Ascension. You can see 3 triple rads on the front panel, and one triple on the top panel. You can see the 3 pumps MCP655 and the 3 res. Also, the 5970 and 5870, both with their own loops.

Impressive. Thing is a tank. :eek:
 
Mountain Mods Extended Ascension. You can see 3 triple rads on the front panel, and one triple on the top panel. You can see the 3 pumps MCP655 and the 3 res. Also, the 5970 and 5870, both with their own loops.

4674947476_b62e84e181_b.jpg

That case is HUGE. How much does the system weigh with the coolant added? Must be over 100 lbs, lol!
 
Back
Top