5970 at MSRP, when?

Nirad9er

2[H]4U
When will the 5970 be sold at MSRP? Its been out way to long to still be gouged by $100. What are your thoughts?

When will Nvidia have an answer for the 5970? Thats about when you'll see some price cuts ;)

When will Nvidia have an answer for the 5970? Thats about when you'll see some price cuts ;)

Exactly. The 5970 is STILL the fastest single video card on the market AND it is still very rare to find in stock, so I don't see any reason for ATI to cut prices any time soon. Nvidia won't be able to put out a dual GPU, single video card competitor until after they refresh Fermi to something a little less hot and a little more powerefficient.

At that point they'll probably stick two gtx 470 cores on one PCB and OC it to beat out the stock 5970, but will it be able to beat one of the heavily overclocked 5970 4gb monsters? Honestly, I don't know the answer to that yet.

Retailers have no incentive to sell at MSRP. Stock is low and the competition has no equivalent. It'll be awhile before you see the 5970 go back to $599.

I doubt it will ever go back to MSRP. By the time Nvidia has a comparative card, AMD should have a new release ready and the 5970 will go EOL.

I doubt it will ever go back to MSRP. By the time Nvidia has a comparative card, AMD should have a new release ready and the 5970 will go EOL.

So I guess I'll wait for the 6xxx series and skip this disappointing supply issue on 40nm. Pure fail when you can't even get something at its intended price.

well there is constant low stock because manufactures don't want to sell them. if they can allocate two cypress dies they using in the 5970 to two 5870 that is more profitable for them since 5870 is 700 while 2 5870 is 800. they are in business to make money.

well there is constant low stock because manufactures don't want to sell them. if they can allocate two cypress dies they using in the 5970 to two 5870 that is more profitable for them since 5870 is 700 while 2 5870 is 800. they are in business to make money.

While the logic there is fine, that isn't really the problem. The manufacturers just can't keep up with the demand for 5k series.

While the logic there is fine, that isn't really the problem. The manufacturers just can't keep up with the demand for 5k series.

if that where true then 5870 would be out of stock everywhere. but you can find them quite easily on newegg. even the 480 are in stock quite often now.

I did my part to deplete the 5970 stock when they were going for MSRP. ^_^
I'm an equal opportunity video card power user!

103_6341.jpg

if that where true then 5870 would be out of stock everywhere. but you can find them quite easily on newegg. even the 480 are in stock quite often now.
The 5970 is binned off the same die as the 5870 but requires lower power. If most of the chips miss the threshold for the 5970 power budget, then ATI is left with a lot of chips that work for the 5870 but not many that work for the 5970. This is probably what is happening and why 5870s are easy to get but the 5970s are still over priced.

Newegg has had 3 different brands of 5970 for about 4-5 days now..

HiS at the most expensive $749 :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161335

MSI at 699 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127467

Diamond (however I would avoid them like the plague HORRIBLE customer service , refused to honor my warranty on a 4870x2) 699 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127467

If I were you I would just buy one for $699 and be done with it , its still 100 dollars cheaper than 2 x 5870's but a tad slower.

I love the people and come on the forums and talk about how they are waiting for prices to go back to MSRP before they buy one. Especially the ones that talk about buying a 5870 and waiting for it to go to MSRP 369.00 from 399.00. Are you saying that you are sitting here for months to save 20 - 30 bucks ? Are you kidding me ? Seriously if your going to pay 599.00 for a card you can pay 699.00 for a card. Its almost like trolling but not quite. Anyone here knows why you cant find one for MSRP.

Price is high because supply is low and Nvidia have no competing part. Supply and demand if you want a slice of a small amount of pie, you have to pay over the odds.

I doubt the 5970 is going EOL anytime soon, AMD can't refresh the part to give a faster card until either the PCI-E spec is re-written or they do a die shrink to get more performance per watt. electrical power is the bottleneck here, unless you're willing to break the PCI-E 300W limit then that's the bottleneck.

This is why I believe Nvidia cannot bring a competative dual GPU part to the market in the current generation. With a single GPU they can mask their power/heat issues but not on a dual GPU card where power/heat are actual limitations.

Ya... this sucks...... I was TOTALLY looking forward to blowing $700 bucks for my FIRST top tier gfx card ever.... but the dam thing wont stay in stock... ANYWHERE. I refuse to go on ebay... thats just an ass pounding waiting to happen. Looks like Ill just have to get me some XFX 5870 XXX's and crossfire them. Sucks, was REALLY looking forward to crossfire pwnage on a single, low(er) power card.

Back