5950ultra

smcgee85

Limp Gawd
What do u guys think of the 5950 ultra?
Is it any good?
How does it compare to ati equivalents?
Which mod do u think is the best one?(albatron, asus, etc)

well ive got a 5900 modded to a 5950...and so far I love it, its plenty fast for me :)
but as far as what company to go with...Im VERY partial to BFG

get a 9800pro for $210, just as fast and faster in most tests as the 5950 for a fraction of the cost.
but if you really want a 5950, id get one with the reference cooling design, since its very quiet and cools very well.

i had the 5950 ultra but all the text on my screen was fuzzy, and i got low 3dmark scores so i returned it and got a 9800pro for more than half the price. its really nice and it scores a LOT more than the 5950.

is the difference between the xt and the 256 pro of the 9800 even noticeable
is there any point in getting a xt over a pro?

also
i read a review at overclockerscafe.com and its overall conclusion was that the albatron 5950ultra was better then the 9800xt
do u guys agree with that?
can one companies mod of the same card be that much better then another?
and also im begining to think the albatron 5950 ultra is a myth i cant find it for sale at any website

WOW
no affence man but u need a life u have 10000 posts
uh dude with the 5900 moded

hey uh visible assasin did he get a bugged card or somthin the guy with the fuzzy text

The 256MB Sapphire 9800 pros with the funky fan are supposedly 9800XTs..that's the only 256MB card I would buy.

LOL- this guy is comedian he asks for answers then insults responders. Get a 9800 Pro.

Originally posted by smcgee85
WOW
no affence man but u need a life u have 10000 posts
uh dude with the 5900 moded

you mean no OFFence dude :p
Ive been here for a long while man..hence the large post count/

Brent stop laughing at visible assasin u got 8000 urself

I didnt see brent laughing at me.

hey uh visible assasin did he get a bugged card or somthin the guy with the fuzzy text

He got a bad card...or hes useing a shitty VGA extension cable....if it isnt hte cable the card was bad....I havent had a problem with mine since I've owned it :)

smcgee85 it does not make sence nor would I advice you to buy a 5950 so late in the game. A month or so ago I would have said go ahead "you cant wait for ever", but new cards are right on the horizon (a month or 2 away) and that $400 or so dollars they cost would be better served getting one of those new cards.

Right now there two cards if you if you need a card you should consider.

1-A 5900 from Nvida
-or-
2-A 9800 PRO from ATI

I would go with with the 9800 Pro from ATI or wait.

ok i can wait a month or two i probably would off anyway cus im getting a new comp too and money doesnt grow on trees:D
what am i waiting on?
i mean what new cards are comin out
are they on the nvidia or ati site?

keep in mind that the 9800 has better and faster aa and af, so if you're looking for quality the 9800 is better, but the 5950 is alittle faster, but horrible aa.

you do realize Brent works for [H]ocp right? so this is his work and his hobby, dont be advising people on how to live or what to do when you're about to spend $400 on a videocard.

OMG can u guys just drop it i was just joking
just plz answer my questions insteed of posting random stuff i have no interest in hearing
(nor does anyone else)

u guys need to chill
and have a sense of humor

here is the post i actually want a reply to

ok i can wait a month or two i probably would off anyway cus im getting a new comp too and money doesnt grow on trees
what am i waiting on?

ok i can wait a month or two i probably would off anyway cus im getting a new comp too and money doesnt grow on trees
what am i waiting on?

they haven't been officially announced yet so the specs are still under wraps

what am i waiting on?

The two new cards coming are code named NV40 and R420 (official names will come later) and there still a month or two away. I should also tell they will most likely cost $500 but if thats to much that good news is whats out now should dramatically fall in price and thats why it may be better choice to wait. In about 2 weeks offical info on these cards will drop. Wait it out and you will see.

thx guys uv beem a lot of help
wops that sounded sarcastic but i am serious i was so confused when i first joined the forum now everything seems much clearer

also do u think they will require pci express because i dont have it and i dont think its even out yet

They will come in both, you say your buying a new computer...by summer those boards should be available, try and get one with your new set-up.

About six months ago I stated my suspicions in this forum (first forming ideas that I couldn't substantiate yet) that the cards behave differently depending on what type of system you put them into - and I was dismissed out of hand, insulted and/or laughed at for my naiveté etc., however, good for you, that those things don't bother me and I'll put myself up for ridicule yet again...

Before you listen to people that tell you what card is better than another - you should see if the system they get their information/results from is similar to your own... Such as, if you have a maxed out Intel or an Athlon 64 system, you may want to come to two different conclusions about the card you want.

Brent told you the [H]ard version of this story when using an Intel rocket:
ABIT IC7-G (i875P), Intel Pentium 4 3GHz “C”, 2 X 512MB Corsair XMS PC3200LL TwinX Dual Channel DDR400, Maxtor 40GB ATA/133, Windows XP Professional SP1 with DirectX 9.0b.

ABIT 9800XT – Operating at default clock speeds 412/730 using Catalyst 4.2 (WHQL).

GeForceFX 5950Ultra – Operating at default clock speeds 475/950 using Forceware 56.56 (WHQL).
and the 9800XT looks like the better bet...

But if you put the same two cards into an Athlon 64 system, here's what Anandtech says:
http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=2009&p=12

Now admittedly, the system he's testing here is a reference nForce 3 Pro250 mobo, something you can't even buy yet, but I suspect that this sort of thing has been going on for awhile, albeit to a lesser degree, all the way back to GF2 Rev2 mobos...

If you look at the sites that like the 5950 over the 9800XT, they invariably used an AMD system with an NVIDIA chipset in it -

Then there is the question of if you need OpenGL and Linux support in your drivers, etc., etc., etc.

But really, your main point should be to wait three weeks, if the new cards come out like they say they will, these two cards we are talking about here will drop in price, or you can buy one of the new ones.

So my real answer is listen mostly to people that use the same sort of system you have - and to wait a few more weeks studying the differences between them in the meantime :D

EDIT: spelling errors and typos fixed to some degree :)

I hear what your Balderdash but IMO he would be making a bad choice buying a $400 card and putting it in a "maxed out Intel or an Athlon 64 system" no matter how you slice it if a $200 card performs just as good if not better in some cases added with the fact new models are coming for around the same price shortly.

So in the end your right he should think about whats most important before getting a new card but not so much around the CPU (just get a damn fast one) as to the software side. In anycase Opengl is my main staying with Nvidia and because of some old games (which I still prefer and go back to) that dont run at all on ATI. So he is right make a wise decision and read the forums (even though your super busy and all :p ).

Originally posted by LiquidX
smcgee85 it does not make sence nor would I advice you to buy a 5950 so late in the game. A month or so ago I would have said go ahead "you cant wait for ever", but new cards are right on the horizon (a month or 2 away) and that $400 or so dollars they cost would be better served getting one of those new cards.

Right now there two cards if you if you need a card you should consider.

1-A 5900 from Nvida
-or-
2-A 9800 PRO from ATI

I would go with with the 9800 Pro from ATI or wait.

I totally agree, that 400 bucks could get you a next gen card in a couple months, itll be worth it to just wait it out. The 5950 isnt worth the price increase for the performace increase over the 5900, even non-ultra, same as I dont think the 9800xt is worth the price/performace ratio over the 9800pro. Ive got a BFG5900 (Also partial to BFG, which make GREAT o/c cards) flash modded to the 5950 and I bought the card for 199 bucks, ive clocked it even over the flash mod with standard air cooling and it runs everything like a champ.

i have a bfg fx5900 ultra and i regret buying it, i didnt know too much at the time about how much these cards lose ****loads of performance when anti aliasing is turned on, but a 9800 pro can run current games like the damned wind with the graphics on high AA and AF enabled, my fps in games like COD or BF1942 are cut in half if i even have 2x AA with this 5900U, i would say go with the pro, seems they are cheaper at newegg but can outperform my 5900ultra, (overclocked to 500 core), i know your talking about the 5950, but.....meh

best bang $200 9800pro from newegg. You might even bypass the next line of cards.

ok heres the specs of the comp im looking at and im 99% sure im guna get

AMD 64 3400+
er not sure bout the motherboard the compaq site doesnt say but ill find out
1gb of PC3200 ram
160 gb 7200rpm HD
uh it doesnt matter but it comes with a 9200se (which i will replace with a better card)

anything else of importance?

You should price match your componets online and see if itll be cheaper for you to buy the parts and build it yourself. If your gonna wad out the cash for a system like so, might as well. You might have a few bones left over for better components, or some cosmetics.

A compaq? You're going to let Compaq build your AMD64 system?

Okay, I'll help you out, but this isn't going to be easy... The Compaq version of the AMD64 3400 is in their 8000 series computers, the mobo in it is a compaq made nForce3 150 .... and I think they actually offer their own 5950U - you might want to check into it, it might be cheaper from them if they are building your system...

*goes to wash my hands - I feel dirty now -
I then cry hard and horrible on my pillow for the poor 3400 that was sent to a compaq factory after it's birth :(*

LOL

Originally posted by Balderdash
A compaq? You're going to let Compaq build your AMD64 system?

Okay, I'll help you out, but this isn't going to be easy... The Compaq version of the AMD64 3400 is in their 8000 series computers, the mobo in it is a compaq made nForce3 150 .... and I think they actually offer their own 5950U - you might want to check into it, it might be cheaper from them if they are building your system...

*goes to wash my hands - I feel dirty now -
I then cry hard and horrible on my pillow for the poor 3400 that was sent to a compaq factory after it's birth :(*

LOL

Hahaha, my sentiments exactly ;) .

ok heres the specs of the comp im looking at and im 99% sure im guna get

AMD 64 3400+
er not sure bout the motherboard the compaq site doesnt say but ill find out
1gb of PC3200 ram
160 gb 7200rpm HD
uh it doesnt matter but it comes with a 9200se (which i will replace with a better card)

anything else of importance?

How much are they charging you? And what kind of monitor are they giving you if any?

Back