• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5870 Voltage Tweaking

miguelito

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 23, 2006
Messages
85
So, I go an XFX 5870 off of newegg. I know that ASUS has their own volt tweaking software, but I wanted the double lifetime warranty.

Anyone know how to software volt tweak a 5870? I want to do a slight bump in voltages to be able to reach the 1khz mark :)

I assume it can be done in RivaTuner, but it's not intuitive and have only done simple OCing using it. Is there any other software out their that is easier to use to volt tweak? ATITools, ATI Tray Tool, etc...?
 
I got the asus, it shipped today so I should have it on monday, to me it was either xfx or asus, but asus was available first, and I just though am I gonna keep the card for three years, I just wont register the card, since I bought it off newegg my reciept will just get passed on to the new buyer if I ever decide to sell it. which I am sure that is what I do every year, upgrade my video card. the best way to do it would be flash it with the asus bios, because I don't know how soon the voltage tool will be available.
 
Give it a couple of weeks, and Unwinder might be able to implement a solution into Rivatuner to control voltage like they did in the 4800 series. Only other way is to flash the bios, but it's alot harder to test that way than with software.
 
go here to dload asus bios


you can get the flash utilities there also.




let us kow what happens
 
Looks like none of the utilities specify if they support RV870 chip. They list other chips, but not this one...never flashed a vbios before so kinda hesitant. Don't want to brick a 2 day old card.
 
I honestly say wait a while, and let other people risk their cards. Watch over at xtremesystems.org forum as they like to do this kind of stuff. They'll figure out how soon enough.
 
ATI cards dont really benefit much from overclocking. I was just checking out a review where 900 core was like 2 FPS. Bumping the volts and going to 1000mhz is it worth risking your card for 4 FPS?
 
ATI cards dont really benefit much from overclocking. I was just checking out a review where 900 core was like 2 FPS. Bumping the volts and going to 1000mhz is it worth risking your card for 4 FPS?

i'm guessing u were reading on the 5870 and not 5850?
 
I saw one review, I forgot where it was, the overclocked it to 935 or something and it resulted in almost linear performance advantage, I kinda do believe such a powerful chip it probably is limited by memory bandwidth, however I would love for someone to actually prove it with numbers. I do think that ati should have shot for 200gb/s memory bandwidth.
 
I got the asus one and would report with oc results once I get it on monday.
 
Thanks NKD...yeah, I'm curious to see the ASUS results from OCing with Voltage Tweaking.

Its not that the 5870 doesn't already slaughter every game except for Crysis...its just the goal of having a 1ghz card! And a little curious to see what affect it has on Crysis.
 

That tool doesn't allow you to raise voltage at the moment. The 5870 is still really really new, so tweaking tools are not in abundance. I do know that people are uploading the Asus bios, so you can flash using it and use SmartDoctor software. But, all the 5870's taht are out now use the same digital voltage regulators, so any brand can be manipulated. Its just a matter of giving someone time to write a program.
 
So my next question is...what program should I use to flash a 5870? Has anyone tried to flash a 5870 yet?
 
Flash the bios, install smartdoctor, up the voltage and oc. I did the same with my 4770's. With upgraded cooling they went to 1Ghz core
 
rbe doesnt read asus bios right..
Will flashing utilities that worked on 4890 card flash the asus 5870 bios corectly ??
You can try first !
 
well I don't guarantee it but the atiflash utility doesn't get updated very often, I think you just have to have the right bios and the bios size has to be correct, if the bios was saved from the latest gpuz that supports hd 5870 than I think flash tool should flash it fine, however I get my card on monday and see how far I can overclock it, will probably upgrade the cooler later on may be, but I usually overclock to the max for benchmarking and settle on a highest stable clock on bearable sound from the fan.
 
ATI cards dont really benefit much from overclocking. I was just checking out a review where 900 core was like 2 FPS. Bumping the volts and going to 1000mhz is it worth risking your card for 4 FPS?

not quite sure what you smoking there....

-------------------------------

any test result from voltage tweak?

I am still deciding if I should go for ASUS or XFX....since ASUS's outlook does look nice....but warranty still go for XFX....:(
 
voltage tweak for now, well atleast in my case seems to be broken in software for my asus card for the time being, the max voltage it allows is the default voltage, thats where the slider ends. so hope they fix it with next software update, even Wizzard from techpowerup noted in extreme systems forums that it didn't work for him either, he just did a review on asus 5870 cards in crossfire.
 
Back
Top