5870 gray screen crash.

ARGH! I'm now getting the black screen of death using the latest catalyst hotfix. I'm not overclocking anything at all, and still getting the issue...

Welcome to the club :(

Today less crashes then yesterday. Though pink screen of death and application errors and crash when exiting a game. Also sometimes driver get stuck. Like sound goes on and game goes on but picture stutters in place. Going into windows and back gets it going again. Well this is pretty disappointing.

MD

well updated to 10.1 hot fix for gsod and tried after burrner aganin guess what
gsod after 15 mins of call duty 4
well back to asus smart dr.. havent had a crash in a long time..using smart dr..

Welcome to the club :(

Today less crashes then yesterday. Though pink screen of death and application errors and crash when exiting a game. Also sometimes driver get stuck. Like sound goes on and game goes on but picture stutters in place. Going into windows and back gets it going again. Well this is pretty disappointing.

MD

Pink striped screen, light gray striped screen, dark gray striped screen, solid dark gray screen. I've had all of those. They really need to get this shit fixed. 9.12 hotfix are the most stable for me and I still have striped crashes, and sometimes hiccups that recover.

Dear God I hope they get it fixed before Fermi is released, because I can't afford a new video card now, but I swear if it isn't fixed by Fermi I am jumping ship back to Nvidia.

Just for fun, I've tried all available BIOS for the XFX-5870 (from TechpowerUP), playing ME2 using the latest hotfix and:

2009-11-26 (874/1300) : Gray screen crash like crazy.
2009-11-26 (865/1300) : Gray screen somewhat less often.
2009-11-26 (850/1200) : No crash so far.

Now, this is my experience, and only tested for a limited time, but at least it appear that I might have found a solution that works for me. But if I keep getting Gray screen crash event with the slower clocked BIOS, I'll definately jump ship back to NVIDIA's Femi, no mater the cost of the damn thing.

Just for fun, I've tried all available BIOS for the XFX-5870 (from TechpowerUP), playing ME2 using the latest hotfix and:

2009-11-26 (874/1300) : Gray screen crash like crazy.
2009-11-26 (865/1300) : Gray screen somewhat less often.
2009-11-26 (850/1200) : No crash so far.

Now, this is my experience, and only tested for a limited time, but at least it appear that I might have found a solution that works for me. But if I keep getting Gray screen crash event with the slower clocked BIOS, I'll definately jump ship back to NVIDIA's Femi, no mater the cost of the damn thing.

Why not just RMA it for one thats not "broken"??

Why not just RMA it for one thats not "broken"??

My card originally came with a BIOS dated 2009-09-16 (850/1200). I've only tried the faster BIOS since they where more recent. Now, using the latest 850/1200 (2009-11-26) BIOS, everything appears to be working fine. If it keeps working properly, I'll have avoided sending the card back for an RMA. :)

My card originally came with a BIOS dated 2009-09-16 (850/1200). I've only tried the faster BIOS since they where more recent. Now, using the latest 850/1200 (2009-11-26) BIOS, everything appears to be working fine. If it keeps working properly, I'll have avoided sending the card back for an RMA. :)

Right but this comment "I'll definately jump ship back to NVIDIA's Femi, no mater the cost of the damn thing." doesn't really sound like you are going to RMA it, it sounds like you are just gonna throw in the towel and go to Nvidia. If its bad it needs to be replaced, Fermi isn't the answer to your problem. Have you used Nvidias drivers lately? lol

If I'm not mistaken (and I might very well be!), XFX will honor the warranty as long as there is not physical damage to the card.

And I'd be concerned that they'd argue that a non-XFX-approved BIOS physically damaged the card if it took it out of their determined specs...

Just saying... I wouldn't flash anything but an XFX-approved BIOS to the card...

Installed Asus Smart Dr. and it still crashes. Now like screen first freezes then black screen of death. Seams taht it can crash on 1000 different ways.

I want my money and my sanity back Ati.

To RMA it a then again have card that will work good one month and same shit all over? I would rather eat this card and then go nutz.

MD

I'm the exact opposite; my desktop is unstable, but gaming is perfectly fine... XFX XXX 5870 here...

Another BSOD today... Even after undoing my OC, it's still unstable at the desktop...

Computer is rock-solid stable even with the OC with an Nvidia card in it...

Hope ATi gets this figured out...

Another BSOD today... Even after undoing my OC, it's still unstable at the desktop...

Computer is rock-solid stable even with the OC with an Nvidia card in it...

Hope ATi gets this figured out...

Mine is now completely stable. It was driving me mad, crashing a few times per hour in ME2. I've played about 8 hours strait without any issues. :)

Well every thing was fine for me till last night. After about 20 minutes of Crysis- GSOD.

Then after re boot, another 10-15 min.- BSOD.

After that, I played for a few then retired for the night. I am running a 5970, stock. VERY well air cooled (My GPU temps never get above 78, at 90%+ load.) I know this is a "5870" thread, but thought it was worth mentioning.)

All this on what I THOUGHT was the most stable of the drivers bunch..the 9.12 hotfix.

Hmmm...what to do. (I should mention that I done MUCH longer gaming stints than this, and it was 100% stable. This just stared. The only thing I did was TRY the 10.1 drivers, but went back to 9.12 after stability issues. I used Driversweeper and cleaned out before re installing 9.12).

Mine is now completely stable. It was driving me mad, crashing a few times per hour in ME2. I've played about 8 hours strait without any issues. :)

Mine appears as stable...

Remember, I've never had an issue in-game, only at the desktop.

My computer can now last more than the few hours it couldn't before, but it still cannot last a week without a BSOD.

Yes, pretty stable. But nothing like the first three months of 24/7 operation with a 9800GTX+ installed, before I put an ATi card in it...

Since I undid my OC at the same time I installed the latest 10.1HF, and my computer lasts longer but still BSODs, I'm still not quite convinced that undoing my OC was the biggest factor in it now lasting up to a week before BSODing...

I'll either continue to live with it, or throw an Nvidia card back into it... If I do the latter and still BSOD, I'll just build a new machine, and quad-core this time...

I have a HD5970 that worked fine with exception to crossfire and eyefinity (typical driver issue which doesnt pertain to this topic). I didn't experience any GSOD or BSOD with the original heatsink/fan.

When I switched over to the EK waterblock and whether I kept it at default settings or overclocked, it had major GSOD during game play. I reinstalled it thinking maybe the install was wrong or something I missed. Second attempt, no good either. My 3rd and final attempt without the spacers for a tighter fit and discovery has led me to my solution.

My HD5970 has a cold bug (someone else mentioned this issue with their Diamond HD5970 in another forum). With temps at 35c under load with default or overclocked settings would cause it to GSOD randomly and usually at the wrong time. Disconnect one fan on my dual rad and set the other at low speed, 40c to 45c under load default or overclocked at 1Ghz and no issues at all.

I'm starting to wonder if some of you might have the same issue with cooling. Sure its a shot in the dark, but I'm wondering with setting your own fan speeds to cool it better could be causing a problem. Mind you I know the card can get damn hot under load even with the fan at 100% compared to temps watercooled.

I water cool CPU only, I OC CPU only. Memory is set manually to a proper speed.
I have an Asus 5870 with stock cooling running stock speeds.
My CPU get’s up to 50 deg. C when gaming and graphic card goes up to 62 deg. C.
If I switch to desktop with game in background graphic card is around 57 deg. C. When leaving a game temperature is in 40’s.
If can’t be too cold for it to fail I guess.
I have tried to put fan on full blast and it would crash still. So heat is not an issue here.
Crashes do not happen when used for longer time or on hard bits. It does not happen on hard places like when too much lightning effects or too much polygons. It just happens randomly. Sometimes it happens a lot. Other time it is super stable.
First month more or less it was not happening. Then it started. It uses to happen with 9.1 and 9.12 and now on 10.1. It happens with a patch as well but then with all kind of different and new screens and more often.
With 10.1 + fix I have also new errors like video in games stutters/stops but game is still running. When this happens I just switch to desktop and back and it is back to normal. This happens rare. Pink Screen of Hell, Black Screen of Hell, Black and then Pink Screen of Hell you name it I have had it.
Yes no more gray or gray stripped screens but a useless PC.
It never happened on desktop, always in game. Though I do spend most of my PC time playing games.
Pretty tired of excusing myself to other people I play with online. Although I’m not bad in game some people stopped inviting me in groups. Thanks Ati.
I would love to go to Ati HQ and break this card on some bodies head.
Time I can spare to be behind my own PC I would like to use on fun not repairing my system and testing drivers and patches. I do not want to play game on my guest PC or on any other PC I own. I want to play it on my uber main rig and I want to enjoy it. I cannot enjoy it now just waiting when it is going to crash. This amount of crashes will eventually break operating system. Then it is going to be impossible to detect why it is crashing. It will also kill a game installation. Imagine game with protection and you need to reinstall it because it is fubar and you can’t due protection although it is yours and you use it just on one PC?
This happens when CPU is OC-ed but also when it is on stock speed. It just happens.
That randomness is the worse part of it.
I just hope Ati or MS fixes this so I can go back to be satisfied with my new rig.

MD

I first had a GSOD monday morning after turning my pc on. I did the update with the hotfix that same monday on the afternoon, played hardcore for several days and nothing happened after that. Fast forward to friday morning, same time as last time, and I get the GSOD after turning my pc on. Hmm, that's pretty interesting that it happened the same way.

So, got GSOD monday 8th and second GSOD friday 12th. Happened after a few minutes of turning the pc on. GPU is a ATI 5770. Before this, no issue at all.

I first had a GSOD monday morning after turning my pc on. I did the update with the hotfix that same monday on the afternoon, played hardcore for several days and nothing happened after that. Fast forward to friday morning, same time as last time, and I get the GSOD after turning my pc on. Hmm, that's pretty interesting that it happened the same way.

So, got GSOD monday 8th and second GSOD friday 12th. Happened after a few minutes of turning the pc on. GPU is a ATI 5770. Before this, no issue at all.

Symptoms of the "cold bug" ontariotl was speaking of just a few posts up.

I've had my computer do this just trying to run a chkdsk before going to the desktop. Obviously the card isn't strained at that time, nor are the drivers yet even loaded. (so no new driver or HF would fix this...)

Something's flakely, or the cards just don't like these powerplay settings that keeping settings ultra-low when the card's not being used, like when first trying to boot...

I have a 5770, but I was getting GSOD problems recently.

The card worked flawlessly the first few weeks I had it, but upon turning on my computer 2 days ago, I kept getting flickering which led to a GSOD quite quickly.

I tried going back and forth between 10.1, 9.12, and the newest hotfix to no avail. Everything worked fine in safe mode or when I Driver Sweeper'd out the drivers.

After installing 10.1, then the hotfix over that, I managed to get WoW running before a GSOD. I guess the problem was running in an underclocked 2d mode. Keeping WoW in windowed mode, there was no flickering. Keeping GPU-z up, clock speed was normal 850 Mhz with WoW up and no flickering. Turning WoW off would underclock and flickering would start.

I turned on CCC overdrive, downloaded the AMD Overclock GPU tool, turned up the clock speed to 851, and now everything works perfectly. GPU-z shows that the card doesn't underclock when no 3d programs are running.

Temporary fix until AMD gives us better drivers I suppose...

It seems like some system combinations are really sensitive to powerplay, my 5850 was unstable in my core 2 duo rig but now in my core i5 rig its as steady as a rock, and yes i did check the mem etc on my old rig.

huh, I just experience the GSOD few days..

and I found somehow CPU OC relate to it...odd huh?

I swap around my cards, while I can hit 4.1G on my i7 with Prime stable with my old cards, but its completely unstable with 5970...(while Prime torture, I keep moving the application windows around just for the heck of it, and thats the main part that caused crash)

odd huh? I find this hard to believe but that is my case....

not quite sure how does that happen... but I am pretty sure its not relate to my PSU...

Nice touch, between all new color crashes finally got one gray screen again.

MD

I have a 5770, but I was getting GSOD problems recently.

The card worked flawlessly the first few weeks I had it, but upon turning on my computer 2 days ago, I kept getting flickering which led to a GSOD quite quickly.

I tried going back and forth between 10.1, 9.12, and the newest hotfix to no avail. Everything worked fine in safe mode or when I Driver Sweeper'd out the drivers.

After installing 10.1, then the hotfix over that, I managed to get WoW running before a GSOD. I guess the problem was running in an underclocked 2d mode. Keeping WoW in windowed mode, there was no flickering. Keeping GPU-z up, clock speed was normal 850 Mhz with WoW up and no flickering. Turning WoW off would underclock and flickering would start.

I turned on CCC overdrive, downloaded the AMD Overclock GPU tool, turned up the clock speed to 851, and now everything works perfectly. GPU-z shows that the card doesn't underclock when no 3d programs are running.

Temporary fix until AMD gives us better drivers I suppose...

UPDATE:

This works until the computer gets turned off or restarted. Clock speeds revert back to normal when it boots up, and flickering/GSOD occurs if I don't OC the GPU by that lofty 1MHz

UPDATE:

This works until the computer gets turned off or restarted. Clock speeds revert back to normal when it boots up, and flickering/GSOD occurs if I don't OC the GPU by that lofty 1MHz

This has all been known for months now... Please read the thread(s)...

The only thing that's new is that the new drivers and hot fixes aren't solving it for all...

my issue is how did none of this come up in the testing before they released the cards?

my issue is how did none of this come up in the testing before they released the cards?

Some theories:

1) perhaps it did. Ship it, fix it later. (Even MS did this with the 360, to their later regret...)

2) Some part on the card is going out of spec faster than anticipated. The fact that later BIOSes have different voltage settings may have something to say on this.

3) Not everyone's having it happen. Different systems, different OSes, etc.

4) An OCed system sees to be far more affected for those who are affected. Some were speculating that the new cards' GSOD were actually keeping you from seeing the BSOD.

4a) When I un-OCed my system, I began seeing BSODs instead of ATi's GSOD. I undid my OC, and the BSODs stopped. I also no longer get GSODs though, either. But, even with the latest 10.1HF #2 (I think?), I still am experiencing black screens of death. So not everything's fixed, and I believe it's still the ATi part causing it.

With an Nvidia card in my system, it was rock-solid stable with the OC, though.

Manuf/shipping a new card that's not 100% stable with the current alpha-beta-omega drivers is I'd imagine pretty normal, though... Can't fault ATi there...

I can live with very initial crappy drivers. Problem is the 5xxx series has been out for quite some time now... It took quite some time to finally get my hands on my 5870, and I've already had it for over two months now...

When your drivers are wonky, you shouldn't stick with the typical monthly release of new drivers, which except for the Hot fixes, is what ATI's doing...

It should be noted that the 10.1s (and HFs...) all broke the ability for my monitors to go into sleep mode...

Some theories:

1) perhaps it did. Ship it, fix it later. (Even MS did this with the 360, to their later regret...)

2) Some part on the card is going out of spec faster than anticipated. The fact that later BIOSes have different voltage settings may have something to say on this.

3) Not everyone's having it happen. Different systems, different OSes, etc.

4) An OCed system sees to be far more affected for those who are affected. Some were speculating that the new cards' GSOD were actually keeping you from seeing the BSOD.

4a) When I un-OCed my system, I began seeing BSODs instead of ATi's GSOD. I undid my OC, and the BSODs stopped. I also no longer get GSODs though, either. But, even with the latest 10.1HF #2 (I think?), I still am experiencing black screens of death. So not everything's fixed, and I believe it's still the ATi part causing it.

With an Nvidia card in my system, it was rock-solid stable with the OC, though.

Manuf/shipping a new card that's not 100% stable with the current alpha-beta-omega drivers is I'd imagine pretty normal, though... Can't fault ATi there...

I can live with very initial crappy drivers. Problem is the 5xxx series has been out for quite some time now... It took quite some time to finally get my hands on my 5870, and I've already had it for over two months now...

When your drivers are wonky, you shouldn't stick with the typical monthly release of new drivers, which except for the Hot fixes, is what ATI's doing...

It should be noted that the 10.1s (and HFs...) all broke the ability for my monitors to go into sleep mode...
Yeah this isn't an overnight problem, it's been happening for months. It can't just be an OC thing because people's systems are rock solid with NV cards and older ATI cards yet the 5xxx series just poof, does the gray screen on its own even when not under load.

Yeah this isn't an overnight problem, it's been happening for months. It can't just be an OC thing because people's systems are rock solid with NV cards and older ATI cards yet the 5xxx series just poof, does the gray screen on its own even when not under load.

But that's another piece of the puzzle, though.

I've never had a GSOD/BSOD/black screen when gaming. Every single one, even when I was having it happen multiple times a day, were always at the desktop. Making it seem like a Powerplay issue.

But then others only have the problem when they game. And theirs happen within minutes. Again, I've never experienced this.

But then again, myself and others sometimes have problems even getting into Windows without a crash. I've experienced this myself a handful of times, and since I rarely reboot, I'd say from my experience it's a normal enough problem that I actually watch for it,and am relieved when it doesn't occur...

And, again, when that happens, you're not even in Windows yet, so it's not a driver issue there at all... But since Powerplay does its thing on its own, it could be underclocked to who knows what level, and the voltage settings may take the card to a point where it's unstable. If so, no driver will fix this. So I'm still anticipating a BIOS fix, but I'd rather wait for an official one from my manuf, so my warranty's covered. And I don't want to RMA a card not knowing if I will get one with an updated BIOS, or even worse, a card with even more problems...

What makes it really irritant for me is a fact that I can’t provoke it. If I run something to burn GPU or CPU or Memory or all together system is not going to crash. On other hand it is going to crash whenever it feels like it.
Like I’ve mentioned mostly happens in games, then again on my main rig I’m mostly in games when using it. I use other PC’s for other stuff. Finally it happened once in 2D as well. You just need to give it hours of using something and it will happen sooner or later.
Crashing when CPU not OC or not crashing with Nvidia card just makes it even more complicated. On first hand it point it points clearly to Ati but then again is OS or/and game installation still good? What happens with power requirement once OC-ed or with different card? Everything changes. Way too many variables so makes it hard to pinpoint source. Is it just Ati or Ati in combination with other stuff?
I920 makes more than twice heat when OC to 4,2 GHz and although it doesn’t reach more than 50 degree Celsius it does require ton’s of power. It surely stresses MOSFETS in VRM as well as other components on main board. Those could also fail randomly. So I have decided to stay on same speed with CPU and I’m using more voltage to see is that going to help. Well it generates more heat but my cooling system can take way more so be it.
Other step would be to reinstall a game or even OS.
Thinking about running my system from a CD or express gate and see what happens then. If stable it could point to windows and driver issue.
Anyways this all situation involves too much time debugging and kills fun of actually using your PC.
Just hope someone comes with patch or driver or whatever that is going to end this story.

MD

What happens with power requirement once OC-ed or with different card? Everything changes. Way too many variables so makes it hard to pinpoint source. Is it just Ati or Ati in combination with other stuff? MD

I've used three different 750W PSUs by two different manufs. Made no difference.

Maybe 1KW? Though 750Watt should be more then enough. BTW I use 750 watt as well.

MD

i don't usually post but I'll add my 2 cents....first to the NV fan boys...get a life...hmmmm Nvidia had never had one card that caused problems....I don't think so!!!!!!...It wasn't that long ago that ppl complained about NV cards...ie...that they sucked or that the drivers sucked....give me a break!!!!...I've used both cards for the last 13 or so years and both company's have had their problems with their products...and what piece of computer hardware has never had one problem on someone's computer somewhere?????...I myself must be the luckest person alive because I've never had any issue of importance with ANY video card that I can remember...am I alone?....again I don't think so!!!!!!.....and what if it turns out that the cause of all these problems is something else.....r all you@#$^%^%$'s are going to admit u were wrong.....probably not!!!!!...I have a ATI 5870 and have had not one problem....zip...nadda!!!...I have Intel Q6600 @2.9 GHZ...rock solid.so it is not my overclockThis problem is way overblown....the thing is most of the ppl that post are just plain lying...they r just fanboys who jump on the band wagon to slam ATI.....and the ATI fanboys r just as guilty of this....just wait when NV releases Fermi or whatever it is called has one problem and just watch the fanboys go on the attack....what do fanboys get out of all this anyways???...I never could figure that out....get a life...anyway that's my 2 cents

Maybe 1KW? Though 750Watt should be more then enough. BTW I use 750 watt as well.

MD

System draws less than 300W... Well under 400W full load... There's no maybe about it...

Besides, I used one of them dedicated to only the 5870.

It's not the power...

I have a ATI 5870 and have had not one problem....zip...nadda!!!...I have Intel Q6600 @2.9 GHZ...rock solid.so it is not my overclockThis problem is way overblown....

Be helpful... Which 5870 do you have?

Also, you don't have much of an OC, so who knows if that helps... My OC was aroudn the +50% mark, stable with an Nvidia 9800GTX+ in it... Even undoing the OC with the 5870 I am still have black screens of death (which wasn't happening prior to the 10.1HF #2...)

Perhaps we really do just need to RMA our cards... But that doesn't explain why later cards that came out have their voltages tweaked in their BIOSes...

Also, if you have read the thread, you'd realize this goes beyond the driver level. Others and myself included have seen these GSODs while booting before it ever got close to getting into Windows.

Again: perhaps we really do just need to RMA our cards.

I'm not a fanboy of either club. I tend to jump manuf every-other year... 9800pro, then 800XT, then 7800GTX, 8800GTX, 4870, 4870x2, 9800GTX+, 5870... The ones that never ever gave me grief are the three Nvidias (coincidence or not), and the 4870...

just wait when NV releases Fermi or whatever it is called has one problem and just watch the fanboys go on the attack....

That's possible too, but I'm ready to take my chances...

And if Nvidia has issues, then maybe it's a problem with the new process?

FWIW - the new ATi drivers broke things that used to work. 5xxx series has been out almost five months now. They should be past breaking things in new driver releases.

i don't usually post but I'll add my 2 cents....first to the NV fan boys...get a life...hmmmm Nvidia had never had one card that caused problems....I don't think so!!!!!!...It wasn't that long ago that ppl complained about NV cards...ie...that they sucked or that the drivers sucked....give me a break!!!!...I've used both cards for the last 13 or so years and both company's have had their problems with their products...and what piece of computer hardware has never had one problem on someone's computer somewhere?????...I myself must be the luckest person alive because I've never had any issue of importance with ANY video card that I can remember...am I alone?....again I don't think so!!!!!!.....and what if it turns out that the cause of all these problems is something else.....r all you@#$^%^%$'s are going to admit u were wrong.....probably not!!!!!...I have a ATI 5870 and have had not one problem....zip...nadda!!!...I have Intel Q6600 @2.9 GHZ...rock solid.so it is not my overclockThis problem is way overblown....the thing is most of the ppl that post are just plain lying...they r just fanboys who jump on the band wagon to slam ATI.....and the ATI fanboys r just as guilty of this....just wait when NV releases Fermi or whatever it is called has one problem and just watch the fanboys go on the attack....what do fanboys get out of all this anyways???...I never could figure that out....get a life...anyway that's my 2 cents

Chill out, jeez...This thread has over 550 posts from people, many of whom are having justifiably frustrating issues from the 5xxx series...Just because you aren't having problems doesn't mean that no one is...Or are they all lying...I don't think so...And for the record I've never had issues like this with an nVidia card...I'm not saying they are immune to problems but if I was crashing several times a day I would dump it and go to something else because I don't have that kind of patience...to be honest the issues described in this thread are what has put me off from buying a 5870 and I'm waiting until they gets resolved...there are people not having problems but I don't want to risk spending $400 and having these issues...apparently ATI has acknowledged this "imaginary" issue and is working to fix it...so I'll wait until they do and they can't looks like it's Fermi for me...but I won't buy Fermi before letting other people test the waters first so that I can make sure it isn't plagued by major issues...I'm no fanboy I'll go with whoever can give me good performance and the most stability...anyway that's my 2 cents

Back