5870 gray screen crash.

So If i get a 5870 is it a sure thing i'll randomly have GSOD ? :confused:

It's more like a game of Russian Roulette. But if you're going to have loaded chambers, you'll know it sooner rather than later.

But I no longer have GSODs. I was having them several times a day previously, though.

No I just have black screens of death. Average about maybe twice a week now, but the computer appears to reboot, though too...

So, if I do have a bum card, well, newest drivers seem to have fixed a lot of it...

I previously posted (more than a month ago) that upgrading to a better PSU stopped the GSODs for me (they were never that frequent). Well I can report that having a better PSU hasn't solved it as I have experienced 2 or 3 GSODs in about 2 months. Which isn't terrible but confirms to me that it is indeed an ati issue (hopefully just drivers).

The last one I just experienced now didn't reboot my system, it just GSODed for a minute, black screened for a second or 2 and I was back in my game menu.

After more than 10 years of green I've switched to red side with a Sapphire HD5850. My perfect stable rig give me a GSOD from the first day. Playing games for hours but after a while in desktop dang, GSOD.
Tried 10.1,10.1 fix, 10.2 RC1 (with all that jazz, uninstall from Control Panel, safe Mode with Driver Sweeper) and nothing. Last resort tried latest beta and *knock in wood* 5 days trouble free.

hottubjohn we are far from flame war level on this forum. That’s so 2001 :) Be constructive or be ignored.
Point been it was working 100% good. Boom next thing you know it crashes your system. So month ago I would say I do not have this problem. I do have it now.
So yes if you get now any of 5xxx series card you might get card that will work excellent forever. But, for same money, you can get a card that is going to start crashing after while as it started for many of us here. Do not get me wrong 5xxx are so good if not best when they work.
People posting here do OC and they are used that their OC-ed rigs are more stable and cooler (this time speaking of temperatures of components) than run of a mill boxes sold by your local grocery shop. We are not talking about your grand mum PC’s. We are talking about best cards you can get atm. So if unpredictable crashes result in me loosing spot I’ve fight for in online game, and that is made by any of components and any of brands I use in my system, I have right to be pissed off. Major pissed off that is. I use this ring almost only for gaming. If it crashes whenever it feels like it, that is not an option disregarding what name is on imprinted on 400$ graphic card/PC part.
Let’s hope 10.2 will solve issues with 5xxx cards. Can’t wait to download official WHQL version.

MD

I just swapped in my XFX 5870 to test the 10.2 drivers from AMD. No go, still getting a brown/gray/blue (it seems to be whatever the primary color on the screen is) etc screen crash, sound stuttering, and then a BSOD. It's still the same issue as the previous drivers I've tried, 10.1, 10.0, 9.12, and 9.11.

I hate to be like this, but after Newegg told me they couldn't help me, and to continue dealing with XFX, I'm getting pretty fed up. I don't know about anyone else, but it seems to me hundreds, if not thousands of users are having this problem. I've found massive threads on several major tech sites, Guru3D, ATI, etc... oh, and of course this one.

I've got a $439 paperweight here, I'm angry, and I'm positive I'm not the only one. It's been a little over two months for me now, it's just sitting here, in an anti-static baggy. I want my money back, or a card that WORKS. Every time ATI releases new drivers I reinstall it and try again, always a BSOD in the end. (I've tried it in THREE different computers, all the same result, not to mention this isn't the original I received from Newegg, it's an RMA.)

I really wish Kyle here at HardOCP would lay the smack down or something. What's going on here just isn't right, at all.

Last edited:
I sold my card for what i paid for it to someone, and told them about the problem, figured let them deal with it if they wanted to and i'd just wait it out and get a card at a later date. Seems like AMD needs to worry less about adding features to current drivers and worry more about fixing up the existing ones, this is the only time i've ever had a problem with AMD/ATI's drivers, for me personally.

So 10.2 a solution to GSOD, please sound off????

Please be clear and repost what OS you are running. I do not think Win 7 RC1 is supported officially and I know moving from RC1 to a retail version of Win 7 solved some issues on my end.

Nothing in the 10.2 notes about the monitors not sleeping properly issue.

And when I say nothing, I mean nothing. Nothing about it being fixed, and nothing about it even existing and being a known issue.

Not good...

I have the official 10.2.. GSOD is not fixed. Had one yesterday just playing TestDrive Unlimited (not a very stressful game at all).

I have the official 10.2.. GSOD is not fixed. Had one yesterday just playing TestDrive Unlimited (not a very stressful game at all).

LOL!

Back in July of last year, I had the mother of all black screens of death with my 4870x2 playing TDU...

Not exactly sure what happened, but I thought the card had died... It wasn't 'til I put another card in the system and still couldn't get it to boot that I went the Repair Windows Vista option and finally got my system up and running again...

Playing it on my 5870 was never a problem, though...

(But, again, I've never had a GSOD/etc with my 5870 WHEN GAMING, only at the desktop...)

OK, it was my understanding that this GSOD issue would be addressed in 10.2 which it is it does not seem to be. I have a list of questions into AMD to solicit feedback on the issue and what you as an end user might do to fix the problem. Let me see where this goes. Hopefully we get a solid article out of this to address the issue.

Kyle,

Make sure it's clear to them that while some seem to have it within minutes of gaming, some (like me) never have it in gaming.

But for people like me, I used to have multiple GSODs a day at the desktop.

With 10.1+HF+HF, my GSODs are almost gone. My computer can last almost a week. So, who knows, mine could be gone with 10.2.

Also, again, some (like me) also would have the GSOD when attempting to boot. The drivers hadn't loaded yet. This can't be all drivers? (I rarely reboot, so I can't say that I do or don't still have this issue, but I cross my fingers at every boot now...)

Nothing in the 10.2 notes about the monitors not sleeping properly issue.

And when I say nothing, I mean nothing. Nothing about it being fixed, and nothing about it even existing and being a known issue.

Not good...

Indeed. I'm no programmer but how hard can that be to fix?

But I am rather lucky apparently as my 5870 has been issue free short of that minor annoyance. So I'm not going to sweat it too much.

Kyle,

I knew you wouldn't let this slide! Thank you.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, retail. I've tried just about every non-warranty voiding "fix" for this, and nothing has worked. I even got in touch with XFX over it, and after a massive tech support chat session (that went on for about a month) they had me send it back for an RMA. So I sent it back and a week or so went by and they replied to my session and said the card was definitely faulty. They sent me a replacement card. It was dusty and even had some fingerprints on it, I was to say the least a bit aggravated. Anyways, I checked the serial number on the replacement, it was definitely a different card.

I installed the replacement card, loaded the most recent drivers at the time, loaded up WoW, and within 45 minutes my game froze, my sound stuttered, and my screen went solid light blue (I was flying in a frozen area with a lot of blue sky around. When it happens, it seems to switch completely to the primary color on the screen at the time.) and a moment later, BSOD. I immediately got back in touch with them, and they basically just told me to call them in person for a "better troubleshooting" experience. I haven't called them yet, but I plan on it. (Also, if the first card was considered faulty because of this problem, and they sent me a replacement... I take it I spent $30 to send my card in, and just got another bad card.) The 10.1 driver came out, I tried it, GSOD. Now the 10.2 is out, tried it, and again another GSOD within about 15 minutes of game play.

My system isn't overclocked at all, and runs completely stable with my old 8800GTS for hours on end. I've tried the replacement in two other computers besides my main and got the same results. Both of the other computers are running Windows Vista Home 64-bit and Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit. This was also using the 10.2 drivers on both machines. Another thing I'd like to mention, it's happened on Modern Warfare 1 and 2, World of Warcraft, and Left for Dead 1 and 2. It's also happened while browsing the web. The oddity in all of this is that the card will run Borderlands for HOURS on end and never crash. When I first got the card that's all I was playing, I finished the entire game without it ever GSODing.

I don't know what to do, but I don't want a $440 paper weight anymore. I also don't want to call them up and have them tell me to spend another $20-30 on shipping the replacement card back. At this point I don't know if it's the card or the drivers and it really stinks.

Last edited:
I even got in touch with XFX over it, and after a massive tech support chat session (that went on for about a month) they had me send it back for an RMA.

Do you have a chat lot you can forward me?

I have a friend who have a 5770 that have this issue, after swapping the card with my 5970 the problem disappear, and when I put the 5770 on my rig, the problem appears...

I am start thinking this is a hardware failure than a simple driver issue there...

I installed 10.2, but it no surprise that it didn't fix my cold bug issue in 3d under 40c with the HD5970.

Last edited:
When I first installed the 5870 back after boxing day, right away after 15 minutes in Crysis I got GSOD. It was so bad that after the reboot my screen would not turn on. I had to switch dvi ports to get any signal. The first DVI port did not work, not until the next day when I tried it again.

With the official 9.12, the GSOD would really come at random. For those 2 weeks I only had about 2 GSOD in close to 50 hours of gaming. It only came in games, never in 2D mode. When it does come, I have to hard reboot otherwise it will keep looping.

10.1 was good for me, GSOD did not happe much either. But ever since the hotfix that "addresses" this issue, I GSOD like crazy. All the drivers since 9.12, instead of "hard freezing" at greyscreen, where I have to reset, my monitor will instead eventually black out for 10 seconds then turn back on again. The game will be resumed, I get a triangular icon like that's yellow in my taskbar, if I doubleclick, nothing happens, I don't understand what the icon means. At the very least I can continue what I'm doing without a reset. But this is not a fix. Happens in 10.2 as well.

Have you guys that had GSOD issues had NV drivers installed previously?

Yeah shansoft its damn wierd, its multiple issues i think as i agreed earlier with some guys in this monster of a thread, i used to get instability with grey screens at the desktop & freezing in games with my core 2 duo & powercolour 5850 rig, that rig was 100% stable with my 8800GT in it, with my new rig i am 100% rock solid praise the lord!, this is a tricky 1 indeed.

I saw that someone claimed that using the bios setting the default voltage for ram was the cause. Hard setting it to the voltage needed was the fix according to the person.

I had never seen this problem with my 4870 X2. I got my 5870 today and this problem is a nightmare. :mad:

AVP crashed in 2 minutes. Fallout 3 crashed in about 3 minutes. I can't believe this.

Last edited:
for the past few days, I've been chatting back and for with sapphire on their support ticket page and they finally gave me info to go ahead with an RMA. I hope the new card I get won't have the freezing gsod issue.:(

You can add me to this list, I am quite pissed off right now. I was hardcore nvidia since day 1, decided I was fed up with lack of a new card, and bought myself this brand new rig complete with a HSI 5870. AVP ran flawlessly (still does, other than a random brown screen when a facehugger tried to latch on), and the BFBC2 beta worked well. Well I fired it up today and noticed while I was playing the beta i'd see these little white spots that kinda flicker on a certain object, and chalked it up to beta issues/driver stuff. Now tonight I fire it up and I get random polygons flashing squares, white rectangles, the works.

My desktop is also getting these squares at random times and Win 7 keeps telling me the display driver stopped responding but was fixed somehow. I guess what I need to know is this a bad card I should RMA, or should I wait it out for a fix? I've already got 10.2, i've tried the 1mhz trick with AMD GPU, which fixes my weird underclock issue (gpu and mem underclock to 157/300mhz while in windows, causes lots of stutter when trying to play mkv files), but flashes half the screen while in fullscreen video.

I really hate the RMA wait, but I can't help but feel its the card at fault, seeing as it started happening gradually and not immediately. And before anyone asks, I don't overclock also, and the gpu sits at 39c idle, and got up to about 60c after playing a game for an hour or so.

Saw the posts about powerplay being the culprit, unplugged my second monitor (was disabled anyways), still didn't work (was still underclocked). Ran a clean install of 10.2 without the second monitor, now BFBC2 works perfectly as before, but fullscreen 1080p bluray still stutters like mad...

well Thursday of last week i received my new xfx 5870
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product

I currently also have a 5770
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814121355

I've been running the 5770 in eyefinity sense 12/1/09... ZERO PROBLEMS! I bought the 5870 to push games like crysis and BFBC2 at 5040x1050 res... and it does it, but crashes. when I got the 5870 I just popped it into my system, it worked (mostly) with the current drivers i had... 10.1 i think. the power play feature on the 5870 was causing it to crash at desktop, but i fixed that buy ramping the idle clocks to 400/900... that fixed that.

In game though the core temp of the gpu can't reach 60C or i get the GSOD I'm lucky enough to be able to have a very cool system so I can keep it's temps at 58C with fan running at 60%, but I still get the GSOD on occasion, just not as often... I can ramp up the speeds to 90-100% but that just crazy... fan pushing 5k RPM and sounds like a jet in my case, but it keeps it at about 40C. I've done this in crysis with everything on high and the card ramps up to 60C and then crashes. this is my only problem with this card at this point... I can deal with slight blips at desktop, drivers will fix that, but not the temp problem. can someone help me with this???

Specs: i7 [email protected], asus p6t deluxe, 6GB corsair dominator@999, WD VR 300GB, vista ultimate x64, and 1000Watt corsair PSU.

My XFX 5870 xxx will have the GSOD issue unless I underclock it. Tried again with the 10.2 drivers and the issue still persists. I have never had any nvidia drivers installed, and this is the only video card I have used w/ my current setup.

When I first got the card like 2 months ago I had the GSOD for the first few hours and then underclocked it and didn't have the issue until I just tried stock clocks again.

It is fine clocked at 800/1200, but I am fairly certain that is not what I paid for. I consider this to be a hardware issue, considering an RMA.

My XFX 5870 xxx will have the GSOD issue unless I underclock it. Tried again with the 10.2 drivers and the issue still persists. I have never had any nvidia drivers installed, and this is the only video card I have used w/ my current setup.

When I first got the card like 2 months ago I had the GSOD for the first few hours and then underclocked it and didn't have the issue until I just tried stock clocks again.

It is fine clocked at 800/1200, but I am fairly certain that is not what I paid for. I consider this to be a hardware issue, considering an RMA.

x2! That's my same exact problem to the letter. With 10.2 I would get the GSOD, with 10.3 I was getting the BlackSOD.

Also 120MHZ refresh rate is very flaky on the 5870 & 5770.

Kyle,

Will you please ask them whether they think the issues in these threads (artifacts, driver stopped responding issues, crashes etc. in 2d. with 5970 in 2560x1600 w/ Windows 7. Only seemingly fixed by ocing 2d clockspeeds to 230 or higher)

http://forums.amd.com/game/messagev...hlight_key=y&keyword1=stopped responding 5970

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1499329

And many others, including ones I have posted on this forum are driver/windows 7 issues or if they are hardware related, and if there is any planned fix (and what they advise us to do in the meantime) While it does not affect every single person it is a very widespread problem.

I suggest you return your card if you have issues with it.

I will, I am just worried its an interaction with my hardware or Os rather than a broken card. I am going to RMA tonight to be safe but I am worried this will continue to happen and since its a widespread enough problem to find this many posts asking for help they might want to comment on the issue, even if its "sounds like it may be a faulty card". Just seems like a high failure rate, but I am not an expert.

Enjoy Dinner!

AMD tells me it does not see returns on the cards due to GSOD, so I am telling you to RMA them if you see the issue. That will cost them money and in turn that will get the problem SOLVED quicker.

Thats what i would do kyle, any probs at all with the card just RMA it, the louder you lot shout the more they will sit up and listen, tis all about the $, you payed good money for ur cards and this mess is unacceptable.

A faulty card is in breach of your rights as a buyer, you do not have to put up with it in any shape or form, RMA it.

Thought i might contribute my 2 cents.
2 cards purchased Feb 1, 2010
One card works perfectly but currenty exchanging 3rd card for GSOD and Striping issues. Would crash with music, sometimes to desktop but not always. Tried all sorts of driver updates etc. to no avail, tried all the lower/over clock settings fix and it did not work either. Hopefully tonight new card will work...I will update with my findings later. Thanks for this great resource of information by the way. Very cool to part of such a great community.

Back