5870 + Battlefield BC2 Artifacting

I have a Q6600 at 3.33GHz and an XFX 5850 at 900/1125. It runs flawlessly at 1680x1050 with everything maxed, no HBAO, 1xAA/8xAF. I could easily turn up the AA/AF, but I can't notice the difference and don't want to risk dropping below 60fps. The 5850's fan is on auto and maxes at 31%. Its temperature maxes at 81C.

Load times are quick, but I don't have anything to compare them to.

This is the first online FPS I've played regularly since BF1942, and I'm having a blast.

I get the same thing on an HD4850 and Catalyst 10.2. So the card isn't bad. Its either the game engine or the drivers, and I'm leaning toward a little of both. For the record, All my other games run flawlessly.
I also own every Battlefield game and ex-pack except BF: Vietnam. I've also run ATI in my gaming rigs since 2004.

-BF2 release had a similar problem with ATI cards for about the first 2 months after release. I remember distinctly flying a jet through the mountains, and then the mountains would suddenly dissappear. If I didn't get out right then, I would crash into a mountain I never saw. ATI driver release fixed it 2 months later. No further graphic anomalies after that.
-BF2142 had some instances where the snow or other items just disappeared on the screen, especially when watching the zoomed out view of the battlefield after you died.
-BFBC2 Beta had all sorts of issues, and I tried out Catalyst 9.11 through 10.1 on it hoping to fix it to no avail.
-BFBC2 Release I have a lot fewer issues than the beta, but the issues are still there. I can't force DX9 mode with my card and 10.2 drivers because I get a weird texture flashing issue where the ground flashes like a strobe light. DX10 mode works wonderfully, with only an occasional issue in multiplayer on the snow levels and the large desert level. The only thing those levels have in common is the constant snow/dust being whipped around by the wind and explosions. I'm betting its the programming for this effect. I'm usually too busy to worry about it though.

Since this seems to be a normal occurrence in Battlefield games for the first couple months, my guess is it is the game engine itself. DICE may use some interesting programming and optimizations that work really well on Nvidia, but not on ATI. It may take a couple months for ATI to release a driver that will clear up everything.

Last edited:
I'm getting the same artifacting with my 5870 and 10.2's.
From small boxes to larger boxes. VERY annoying.
Any info from AMD about this?

I've had a few very large concrete columns artifact out of building walls on one occasion.

The 5870 temps run a bit high in this game; 70C is a bit over my comfort level. It may be time to add a waterblock?

I've had a few very large concrete columns artifact out of building walls on one occasion.

The 5870 temps run a bit high in this game; 70C is a bit over my comfort level. It may be time to add a waterblock?
Anything under 90C is fine.

Just use MSI Afterburner and turn up the fan. My 5850 fan runs at around 30% under load and the temps max at around 55C.

Just use MSI Afterburner and turn up the fan. My 5850 fan runs at around 30% under load and the temps max at around 55C.

Really? My 5870 runs it's fan on auto at 21% :confused: maxed >70C. I have to manually crank it to at least 50% to maintain decent temps, but I like the temps at 70%.

Anything under 90C is fine.

90C :eek:

My OC'd on stock heatsink/fan EVGA9800GTX+ never came close! Seems like adding it to my WC loop is cheap insurance against such heat killing my gpu? (and making it look cool :D )

90C :eek:

My OC'd on stock heatsink/fan EVGA9800GTX+ never came close! Seems like adding it to my WC loop is cheap insurance against such heat killing my gpu? (and making it look cool :D )
Graphics cards can run upwards of 105C before they start throttling. I simply say 90C because it'll help stabilize higher overclocks. You can cool it further if it helps stabilization even more, but to declare anything "too hot" or "unsafe" beyond AMD/ATI specifications is nonsense.

I just got a XFX 5870 and bumped the core to 900 without messing with the voltage or changing the cfg file. Mine runs constantly at 70C with 30% fan. Its sooooo sweet going from my 4870x2 which I had to run at 60% to keep memio temperatures under 100C. Who knew gaming could be so quite. lol

I had no artifact problems until this evening. For some reason I was getting an entire building flickering in my base. No where else and really weird. I tabbed out of the game and AF showed temperatures ok. I also brought up GPUz and Real Temp and all cpu and gpu temperatures showed ok so I'm not sure what was happening. I had been playing for about 5 Hrs so I decided to call it quits for the evening.

Personally, I consider this a big upgrade from my 4870x2. It does all it did with a lot less noise, cooler temperatures, and I don't have any BFBC2 shadow/water flicker problems because of crossfire. It is just all around a good change.

Not sure if it's been said already, but I believe this is caused by the latest drivers. In the overdrive settings, I downclocked memory and then set it back at stock, worked fine afterwards.

I first had this in BC2, then noticed it in WoW and a few other games.

If you're talking to me I don't have Catalyst installed. Just the 10.2 drivers and yes they down clock to 150/300 on desktop and I have yet to have a problem thankfully.

All I'm concerned about is getting my damn load times down....come on ATI!

All I'm concerned about is getting my damn load times down....come on ATI!

why would the videocard affect the load time?
though it's true my load time is unusually high, I'm running on a 3xSSD array just for the games/apps too

why would the videocard affect the load time?
though it's true my load time is unusually high, I'm running on a 3xSSD array just for the games/apps too

It's a known issue that ATI drivers are causing extremely long load times. Nvidia users get in the game within 10 seconds.

thats funny cuz my rig loads before everyone elses i play with and almost all of them have nvidia cards :p I think I am the only one that can and does play in dx11 too

so fail more pls

thats funny cuz my rig loads before everyone elses i play with and almost all of them have nvidia cards :p I think I am the only one that can and does play in dx11 too

so fail more pls

Good for you. Try doing some research before you tell people to "fail more plz".

Hmmmmm no artifacts here after 10+ hours of playtime on my HD5870, and load times are exactly the same as my 9800GT.

so fail more pls

Well the drives my game is on have an average read speed of 580mb/s and I'm one of the last to load :p so something isn't right there

so fail more pls

I have a 5850 and I was also one of the last people to spawn in multiplayer maps in bc2. Forcing dx9 fixed the problem, now I'm usually the first to load the maps. So people who say it has nothing to do with dx11 are wrong.

I don't notice any difference going from dx11 to dx9... none at all, plus my frames are way above 60fps with most everything maxed. Hopefully they fix it in a future driver release but test it out for yourselves, I can't see any difference.

EDIT: actually the biggest gripe now with going to dx9 is I can't see through the glass on the stationary guns with the shield attached to them, I hardly use them anyway so it's not too big a deal, but hopefully ATi/Dice can figure out why dx11 loading takes so long so I can use the full potential of my card.

I have a 5850 and I was also one of the last people to spawn in multiplayer maps in bc2. Forcing dx9 fixed the problem, now I'm usually the first to load the maps. So people who say it has nothing to do with dx11 are wrong.

I don't notice any difference going from dx11 to dx9... none at all, plus my frames are way above 60fps with most everything maxed. Hopefully they fix it in a future driver release but test it out for yourselves, I can't see any difference.

EDIT: actually the biggest gripe now with going to dx9 is I can't see through the glass on the stationary guns with the shield attached to them, I hardly use them anyway so it's not too big a deal, but hopefully ATi/Dice can figure out why dx11 loading takes so long so I can use the full potential of my card.

Can you still use AA in Dx9 mode?

Can you still use AA in Dx9 mode?

short answer to that is no. How a person can say they see no difference between DX9 and DX11 I am not sure unless they were just not using any AA to start off with. I know I can tell a difference so I went back to DX11. I will just have to live witht he slow loading times until there is hopefully a fix for it. I have heard that the 10.3 drivers seem to fix some of this issue but do not know off hand because I don't like to use beta drivers.

short answer to that is no. How a person can say they see no difference between DX9 and DX11 I am not sure unless they were just not using any AA to start off with. I know I can tell a difference so I went back to DX11. I will just have to live witht he slow loading times until there is hopefully a fix for it. I have heard that the 10.3 drivers seem to fix some of this issue but do not know off hand because I don't like to use beta drivers.

I'm on 10.3s, no fix

Agreed. I'll load more slowly and take the higher IQ. The lighting (and AA) is just better enough in DX11 that I miss it switching to DX9. Bah.

I'm on 10.3s, no fix

I could be wrong, but I thought the 10.3 press preview drivers were released more to show new Catalyst features and not per application support and/or optimizations. The final 10.3 should have much better BFBC2 support than the press preview package, at least that's what I'm telling myself. :p

Agreed. I'll load more slowly and take the higher IQ. The lighting (and AA) is just better enough in DX11 that I miss it switching to DX9. Bah.

I noticed in your sig that you too have a 30" 3007WFP-HC and I was wodering what kind of performance (and what settings) you get with BFBC2 and the 5870. I am considering picking one up since this GTX 285 doesn't seem to be cutting it.

Thanks!

I could be wrong, but I thought the 10.3 press preview drivers were released more to show new Catalyst features and not per application support and/or optimizations. The final 10.3 should have much better BFBC2 support than the press preview package, at least that's what I'm telling myself. :p

I hope you're right =)

I'm having no issues with a 5870 - set AA and AF in .ini 1920x1200. Not overclocked at the moment.

I'll take the extra frames and 10 second loading time over some AA, I still saw jagged edges in dx11 with 4xAA & 16xAF so... to each his own I guess?

Last edited:
I noticed in your sig that you too have a 30" 3007WFP-HC and I was wodering what kind of performance (and what settings) you get with BFBC2 and the 5870. I am considering picking one up since this GTX 285 doesn't seem to be cutting it.

Thanks!
It runs great, especially in DX11. I do multiplayer with everything cranked, 4x AA, and FOV @ 80 (much more to render than the default FOV of 55), and I get about 45-80FPS average. During some insane explosions/fighting/etc. I think it might dip down to 35FPS, but that's the lowest I've ever seen.

I'll take the extra frames and 10 second loading time over some AA, I still saw jagged edges in dx11 with 4xAA & 16xAF so... to each his own I guess?

x100

I don't need any extra frames as it runs just fine a 4/8xaa and 16 af, but those 10+ secs of slow loading behind make game play suck!

I play regurlarly with a friend with a gtx260 who beats me in load time by a good 15-20 secs. We both have 4.0 ghz cpus, striped velociraptors, Windows 7.

10.3a still has long load times and white boxes for me. :(

Yep, me too. Doesn't look like anything was fixed. I wasn't really expecting anything, though. Nothing about BC2 was mentioned in the release notes.

Found this older thread while searching. I had the EXACT same problem while gaming in BFBC2 with CF 5870's yesterday, odd little black squares popping up during the snow level in single player. When I checked my temps, my primary card was at 90, secondary card at about 70. I cranked the fans up to about 65 on each card, noise wasn't too bad, temps went down to about 70/60 respectively and the artifacting stopped completely. Seemed to be a heat issue for me though I haven't seen it in another game as of yet. Running at 1920x1200, 10.4 drivers and everything cranked up highest.

Last edited:
Do people still have this issue? I'm on the current patch and current WHQL drivers and I have no issues. Actually I don't remember ever having this issue to begin with. My temps are probably retardedly high because I'm running it in a tiny box with a single 92mm fan that's primarily for the CPU.

I do get the texture shift someone else with a 5850 mentioned earlier, though. Very infrequent.

Im on the 10.3 drivers and it still does it been to lazy to goto 10.4 but i manually set fans to 60% and it seems to have solved the prob 4 now. And it only happens with BFBC2

Im on the 10.3 drivers and it still does it been to lazy to goto 10.4 but i manually set fans to 60% and it seems to have solved the prob 4 now. And it only happens with BFBC2

I'm on 10.4a preview now (fixes didn't make it into the 10.4 whql) with application profile update applied. No issues and load time is fixed.

Back