5850 Unlocked Bios!!!

I just opened the msi link at the top of the thread. click the link, then click the "Download" link just above the file image, on the left.

Nice how-to. My XFX will soon be liberated.

My old x800xt has a Danger Den universal block on it I could switch over... Hmm so much work for only 5FPS more in OC room

well this is what I have done 950core 1125 mem vs stock
l4d maxed out 1920 x 1200 8xaa 16xaf. I ran furmark @ 1280 x 1024 no aa windowed
I am pretty sure you can tell which is which w/o me labeling them.
and furmark is the only other thing I really have that would give a consistent reading.
193973066365374505.jpg

For Comparison Sake:

5870 850 Core 1200 Memory (Stock Clocks)

8501200.jpg

5870 850 Core 1125 Memory:

8501125.jpg

5870 950 Core 1125 Memory:

9501125.jpg

5870 950 Core 1250 Memory:

9501250.jpg

Clearly at that resolution we are encountering a severe cpu bottleneck.

Lets try 1920x1080...

5870 850 Core 1200 Memory:

stock1920.jpg

5870 950 Core 1250 Memory:

95012501920.jpg

Last edited:
Dang that's a ridiculous frame bump. I'm impressed especially with the bump in the "minimum fps" department as that's all that really matters to me. Just gotta hope you get a decent chip that can OC.

Oh and how safe is it to run these overclocks over a long period time. Could you potentially damage the card?

With extreme overclocks on hardware its lifespan is basically lower, I've had a few cards I've overclocked to very high (but benchmark safe) speeds and run at them speeds for several years and then started to give artifacts later in their life and requires a lot of downclocking almost to stock to remain safe, I think the memory fails to maintain those high clocks after a good few years, it varies from card to card.

WIth overclocking nothing is certain, each card behaves differently, whatever anyone tells you the bottom line is it's a risk.

wait does this unlock the extra shaders or only allow you to OC higher?

Only OC higher.

This (old) thread confirms the fact that the 5870's 8 extra TMUs and 160 extra shaders accomplish jack shit over the 5850 when clocks are equal.

So overall is the bios flash is beneficial or no. If so I'm looking to flash the bios and watercool my two XFX black 5850's. May even look into a vmod. Years ago I had a couple 7800GT's vmodded and watercooled. Those cards sat at #1 on futuremark 06 and #2 in 05 and 03 for a while. Not looking to break records but am looking to get my money's worth out of them.

AMD X2's / 7800GT Overalls:
3DMark06
3DMark05
3DMark03

Last edited:
I know the feeling I upgraded from a 8800GTS myself. Great card but the 5850 beats it back and forth :D

Regarding the clocks. Yes, these settings are a keeper. They are rock stable and I'm liking the temps as well. ;)

Hey nice work Diesel, is that with the stock cooler as well?

For anyone experiencing flickering problems after OCing, here's the fix.

Enable overdrive

create a profile in CCC and save it, but do NOT activate

c:\users\<user name>\appdata\local\ati\ace\profiles [must have show hidden files on]

open the .xml with the same name as the profile created

make the following changes

Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0"
Property name="Want_0" value="40000" [previous should be "15700"]

Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0"
Property name="Want_0" value="90000" [previous should be "30000"]

Save and close file

now by going in CCC and activating the profile the idle speeds should be 400 and 900 instead of 157 and 300

this will marginally increase idle temps

This is generally only a problem when you run two or more monitors in extended desktop mode. The idle clock gets set too low and the DVI ports start flickering.

So is the Asus bios unlocking CCC Overdrive to 900Mhz territory? I didn't know that CCC could be unlocked that high. I have a Diamond 5850 and can only set 775Mhz with their bios :( I don't want to really raise the vCore right now but I know I can get over 775Mhz with stock voltage and would love to be able to use CCC to do it so I can keep the power savings too.

So is the Asus bios unlocking CCC Overdrive to 900Mhz territory? I didn't know that CCC could be unlocked that high. I have a Diamond 5850 and can only set 775Mhz with their bios :( I don't want to really raise the vCore right now but I know I can get over 775Mhz with stock voltage and would love to be able to use CCC to do it so I can keep the power savings too.

You have to use MSI's Afterburner utility once you flash the bios as CCC overdrive will not allow you to ever overclock this high.

It also goes without saying that doing this will definately void your warranty. Overclocking using CCC is one thing, but re-flashing your bios is a totally different thing.

I've always been a little timid about the idea of flashing a bios for a video card but figured I would try it. Just did and that was about as painless as it gets, and I have an unlocked card now! Good thread. Now I need to decide if I want to put this thing under water. Had a hose blow a few months ago (100% stupidity and my own fault) and have been all air ever since so kind of weary, but the idea of this thing running into 1Ghz territory is oh so tempting...

Nice thread. Hopefully 5830s will benefit from something like this? :D

I just bailed on Nvidia and got a 5850 powercolor and will attempt the msi flash. But how do you back up your current bios again? is it using GPU-Z?

Hello I would like to know if I can unblock the bios of my His 5850 to be able to serve me of MSI Afterburner and the tab voltage. I activated the function but that doesn't work. flasher the bios with a bios asus which? [ATIADLHAL] EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 1 AccessibilityCheckingPeriod = 0

[Properties]
ShowGeneralTab = 1
ShowFanTab = 1
ShowMonitoringTab = 1
ShowOnScreenDisplayTab = 1
ShowScreenCaptureTab = 1
ShowProfilesTab = 1
ShowUserInterfaceTab = 1

[Settings]
Skin = default.usf
StartMinimized = 0
StartWithWindows = 0
RememberSettings = 0
FirstRun = 1
FirstUserDefineClick = 1
FirstServerRun = 1
HwPollPeriod = 1000
MMIOPageSize = 4
PCIBusFilter = -10h
ShowTooltips = 1
ShowHints = 1
PauseInSuspendedMode = 1
CurrentGpu = 0
Sync = 1
AttachMonitoringWindow = 1
MonitoringWindowOnTop = 1
ShowPerformanceProfilerStatus = 0
LCDFont = font4x6.dat
LCDScrollTimerPeriod = 30
UnlockVoltageControl = 1
UnlockVoltageMonitoring = 1
ShowOSDTime = 0
RestoreAfterSuspendedMode = 0
StartupViaTaskScheduler = 1
StartupDelay = 0
MinMonitoringGraphHeight = -1
LocalizationDebugFlags = 0
EnableLog = 0

RecreateLog = 0
LogPath =
DontStopLoggingOnWriteFailure = 0
LogLimit = 10
ForceConstantVoltage = 1
AllowCaptureVoltageDefaults = 0
Link = 1
UseDirectInputHotkeyHandler = 0
SendToTrayOnClose = 0

[ATIADLHAL]
EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 1
AccessibilityCheckingPeriod = 0

[NVAPIHAL]
ClockDomainIdWorkaround = -1

Is it a reference model? MSI Afterburner only services their custom models, and reference models (voltage control, that is).

Good evening my model is a his 5850 iscooler I don't know if it is a model of reference

Good evening my model is a his 5850 iscooler I don't know if it is a model of reference

The cooler has these slits on the back, the fan is in the middle, and the PCB is blue, isn't it?

It's nonreference, which for HIS models, means you can neither monitor, nor control, the chip's voltage via software. Sorry :(

Back