5770 does not work on s939 nf4 board.

tvdang7

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 8, 2005
Messages
4,301
Anyone know why my 5770 does not post on my abit kn8 nf4 board? i googled it and found others with the same problem but no solutions. the card does indeed work since it boots on a c2d system fine.,and the computer posts fine with my x1900.
 
Easy, you bought a card without doing the research. Lots of people have problems with Pci-E 2.1 cards on older Pci-E 1.0a and Pci-E 1.1 motherboards and if it doesn't work then it won't work, only fix: buy a new motherboard or a different video card. I wish I could say "try driver "x"" or "change bios setting "y"" but you bought incompatible hardware like people expecting an AM2+ CPU to work on an AM2 motherboard just because it fit.

Sorry but this time there is no good news for you :-/ Just gotta do your homework before buying hardware.
 
Last edited:
card was free just wanted to bitcoin a lil bit for fun. I guess there goes the backwards compatibility for ya. owell.
 
hey if it works just sell it. they're good little cards, i'm using one myself.
 
card was free just wanted to bitcoin a lil bit for fun. I guess there goes the backwards compatibility for ya. owell.

Did not know that so no big loss on your part then :)

hey if it works just sell it. they're good little cards, i'm using one myself.

Or trade it for an HD 4870/4890. If you need something with only one Pci-E then you can try for a GTS 250 1gb card, older but should work for sure on your system and performance per watt it is roughly better than an HD 4850 and is close to better than an HD 4870 performance wise unless you like heavy AA.
 
Easy, you bought a card without doing the research. Lots of people have problems with Pci-E 2.1 cards on older Pci-E 1.0a and Pci-E 1.1 motherboards and if it doesn't work then it won't work, only fix: buy a new motherboard or a different video card. I wish I could say "try driver "x"" or "change bios setting "y"" but you bought incompatible hardware like people expecting an AM2+ CPU to work on an AM2 motherboard just because it fit.

Sorry but this time there is no good news for you :-/ Just gotta do your homework before buying hardware.

Whoa thar. Might still be a way around it. Not all might be lost. Could always experiment with PCI-E clock rate and width settings. Say 90mhz and x8 for instance.
 
Upgrade to a modern CPU + motherboard, problem solved. :p

But seriously, if it's an NF4 motherboard, and you have a decent video card (5770s aren't bad cards at all) you could build a cheap quad core AMD setup around that for ~200 bucks or less that would run circles around your current build.
 
And uses 10 times the power.

Yeah around 190W compared to the 5770 at 109W.

Cant imagine it would be that much faster either especially if you want DX11.

Plus that 4890...now much has it been thrashed?
 
Rather have a faster/cheaper card that uses 190 watts then a card that won't post, I always say.

Personally , I would grab a gtx260 for about 70$ used and sell the 5770.
I'm sure the gtx260 will work.
 
Back
Top