5750 minimum PS?

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 28, 2008
Messages
4,018
Been asked to help friends upgrade their son's HP crapolotta for the holidays(sound familiar anyone?) Based on price, and needs I think the 5750 will suit the need while not being obsolete the day purchased. Anyhow, it is a stock HP A6502f PC bought in Canada (so names might not match US) I am not sure what these glorified low end OEM boxes use as PS, but I bet it isn't over 350W. It is a minimal system. 500GB HD, DVD, onboard video/sound. Would a 5750 kill that? Is a 450W+ a must?
Thanks in advance for any advice given.
PS- do any of you PC smart guys feel like a bitch for family and friends, befor/after/during the holidays? I wish there was a time of the year i could work my mechanic buddies no questions asked;)
 
HP uses decent PSUs, at least (*whew*:)).
The HP online specs show this computer to have a [Phenom-8450 (T) 2.1 GHz (95W)], is that correct?

If so, the 5750 would be pushing it, but not breaking the PSU.

However, the 5750 still needs a 6pin PCIe adaptor, so there might still be problems, as most stock HP PSU do not include that 6pin.
 
Cheers.
Is a 4 pin to 6 pin adapter not provided or possible? I own a XFX 4830 that came with a bunch of grub, but can't remember and the atic is a scary place!
He has 3-4 molex 4pin. Is it workable, or is a new PS a must?
 
Back
Top