5600x Upgrade Woes

Its weird because the earlier versions of it had a heatsink, but int he r4.0 they took it off? I dunno why.
i guessing its very cheap so they assumed its would be paired with low end chips that dont push it enough to need a heatsink.

I had my 2600 overclocked to like 4.6ghz at one point on this motherboard without issue lol. Its been at 4ghz for a while now.

I just ordered a new board on Amazon. Im going to put the 2600 back in this one, stress test it, and sell it on Facebook if all is well.

At 2000 1:1 with PBO +200 it can do ~135w PPT. With a static clock I have seen 153w PPT on my 5600X. But you really have to push it hard.
Don't do a static clock if you can help it. Does your cheap board have offset voltage?

seems aboot right. mines at 1800 1:1, PBO +200 fmax and it hits about 120w
PPT is?
It seems like a lot, I measure in hw info and the total consumption reaches about 120w during some more demanding operations on my 2700x.
I keep looking at those 5000 processors and whatever, it turns out that if I buy a 5600x, I might have problems with overheating vrm as well?

I had my 2600 overclocked to like 4.6ghz at one point on this motherboard without issue lol.
Did you have the world record? 4.4GHz is considered a ceiling OC on 2000 series Ryzen and requires very high V, yet you bested that by 200MHz on THAT shit board?

Did you have the world record? 4.4GHz is considered a ceiling OC on 2000 series Ryzen and requires very high V, yet you bested that by 200MHz on THAT shit board?

Lawd. I may be mistaken about 4.6, but it was at least a couple hundred mhz above 4ghz. System would crash in PUBG so I kept pulling it back until it stopped.

Its not a lot, when you get into the 150s on 5600X, that is a lot. But even 5800X3D can do 143w PPT and that chip is locked down pretty tight. My 5900X can do 240w PPT.
As far as I can see, it consumes nothing less than my 2700x, it turns out that the 65W TDP is just marketing

What would you recommend as a cheap upgrade compared to the 2700x? I currently have 32GB of RAM 3200MHz (4X8Gb), but now they work at 2933MHz.
In RDR2, whenever I'm in a city, I have nasty jerks, whether it's the game or the processor, I have no idea.
Should I buy Ryzen 5500, 5600 or 5600x?

As far as I can see, it consumes nothing less than my 2700x, it turns out that the 65W TDP is just marketing
TDP is a value stating the anticipated heat dissipation requirement, it was never been meant to be used as direct statement of power requirements because there are factors outside of wattage that affect cooling requirements. It gets tossed around some because it's generally in the ballpark but it's always a good idea to check reviews to see what the actual power consumption is, especially if any of the components to be used with it are borderline in that regard.

According to TPU actual system power consumption of the 5600x in their gaming test is 40w less than your 2700x and 20w less than OP's 2600(at stock). My guess is that if the 5600x is having issues with a borderline VRM setup it's due to higher power spikes, quicker fluctuations, or something else along those lines.

I have a 5600x in a cramped case and Noctua u9s. Easily kept under 70c gaming for hours with absolutely no tuning whatsoever. So PBO and all that is on auto. If you take some time with curve optimizer or just run a negative offset voltage they can run cooler.

IMG_5357.jpeg

Well... it was the motherboard. Ive got the new one installed and it was stable with XMP memory settings right off the bat. I havent done any long stress test but Ill let it run when I go to bed.

Wow so the ram that was flaky on the original board works fine on the new one? Hopefully you are good to go now.

Maybe I need to reseat the heatsink, but this thing gets up to 71c almost immediately with my giant air cooler. Prime95 has always been hotter than actual real world temps in my experience so its likely going to sit lower.

Its weird that as I get older and processors/graphics cards get faster, I kind of just want my system to work. Squeeking a couple hundo mhz out of a system 20 years ago was a big deal... now I cant even tell a difference.

Wow so the ram that was flaky on the original board works fine on the new one? Hopefully you are good to go now.
I guess so. Ill probably run mem test.

Maybe my board was just straight garbage (as they said a couple posts up) but I never really thought about it because I bought it used on the forum for a solid deal along with the original Ryzen 2600. Ill probably throw some cheap ram in it and test it again with the 2600 and a stock cooler to see if its safe to sell on Facebook.

Maybe I need to reseat the heatsink, but this thing gets up to 71c almost immediately with my giant air cooler.
You can try, but these newer, denser cpus just get hot. The size of the cooler really doesn't matter because the bottleneck is getting the heat away from the silicon itself. 5600Xs don't use much power.

The instant I clicked to turn off Prime95 it went down to 50c. I dont think Im going to reseat it unless it gets stupid in games.

Back