550ti problems?

Handcokc

n00b
I got a Zotac 550ti AMP! edition card last month for 134$ and i upgraded from a integrated Geforce 7100.

The game I've been playing is Project Reality Battlefield 2 mod and with the 7100 I got about 20-30 FPS on a city map. Now mind you with the 7100 I was running the game in 800x600 and with the 550ti im running 1440x900. With most if not all graphics on low or off. So did I get a dud card? Am I pushing it to far with 1440x900? Why is it that I'm still getting cruddy FPS out of this card. I'm about a day away from either getting a refund or getting it replaced any help?

Did you install the latest drivers? Does frame rate decrease significantly when graphics options are enabled?

^ yeah check that stuff next. If you run at 1440x900 with graphics on low, does it play noticeably better?

What drivers are you running? www.geforce.com - download the newest WHQL drivers.

That CPU is for sure holding you back some.

I can play BF2 on max settings (im not sure about AA and AF though) on my GTS250, and I just got a 550ti. my system is a 6 year old socket 939 4200+ on a 23inch `1920x1200 display.

I remember trying project reality, it ran okay. but maybe something went wrong with that install? im doubting it. UMM... just try to format your computer with the very basic version of windows.

what OS , winXP dx9? seven dx11?

point is... BF2 is from 2006 if I remember.. and my card back then was an Nvidia 7900GT KO and it almost ran on high at full res.

My OS is Vista 64bit

When I put everything on low Frame Rate does increase slightly but not much

BF2 can be maxed with some 4-5 year old cards + CPUs - you should not be having problems with a 550 Ti, especially at that low of a resolution. Obviously there is something wrong with your system or install. Sounds like your OS install might be really nasty with spyware/adware etc. I'd reformat and/or try the card on a friend's computer and see how it runs.

Ok I did a test ingame Here are setting

Texture: High
Effects: High
Geometry:High
Lighting: High
Terrain: High
Visible distance: 100%
Dynamic Light: High
Dynamic Shadows: High
Texture Filtering: High
AA: Off

With these setting in a city environment I was getting about 25-35 FPS

Texture: Low
Effects: Low
Geometry:Low
Lighting: Low
Terrain: Low
Visible distance: 100%
Dynamic Light: Off
Dynamic Shadows: Off
Texture Filtering: Off
AA: Off

With these I was getting about 30-40

Now maybe I'm just not very smart in hardware but..With my 7100 I was getting 20-30 FPS on the same map. usually around 25 with the 7100 but..Shouldn't I get ALOT more performance then that? Or am I just SOL

And to the above I can't do a fresh install of any OS my dad bought this computer from Best Buy...:( and no OS CD came with it

Last edited:
Well the problem is I don't have money to blow or all of the tech know how to do alot of stuff.

I think your cpu is holding you back.I had a 9800gtx+ a few years back on a old P4.It would get around the same fps your getting.Once I built my first real system using a Q9550 my fps almost doubled.It was a noticeable difference.Keep the card and work on a better system.I know it might take a bit of time but your card will last a few years before it is outdated and better cards are cheaper.

Back