$5500 4K 32" Sharp LCD on the way

It's good seeing this on the horizon. Nice to know there's something potentially worth upgrading to after I move to 1440p.

Better start saving up... I wonder what the refresh rate on that is. It would be awesome if we had a 4k 120hz monitor in 1 to 2 years, with GPU's being able to push them non-sli.

Great news!

Finally some progress. Hope things keep moving towards higher resolution, higher refresh, lower price monitors.

That said, I wonder what laptops can drive 4K monitors right now. Does MBP Mini DisplayPort max out at 2560x1600 or can actually do more?

$5500, that was about what I was expecting. I just may have to get one of these. Unless they ruin it with horrid pixel response times and/or input lag.

4K at 31.5" would be a pretty epic picture. I figure my system in my sig could run it fairly decent. I can get 130+ FPS on my current 1440 display which is 3.7m pixels. The 4K screen is 8.3m, or about 2.27 times as many pixels, so I should still be able to hold a min of 60 FPS on this 60 Hz screen without changing anything.

The killer thing about this screen is of course not having to deal with the Eyefinity/Surround nightmare and associated SLI/crossfire problems on multi-monitor setups, single monitor connection (DP) and of course the killer PPI on one contiguous screen surface with no bezels to worry about.

It's meant for work and has extra inputs=scaling and around 1 frame of input lag. A 60hz display with a 17ms-ish delay feels incredible slow compared to a near-delay free 120hz+ display.

$5500, that was about what I was expecting. I just may have to get one of these. Unless they ruin it with horrid pixel response times and/or input lag.

4K at 31.5" would be a pretty epic picture. I figure my system in my sig could run it fairly decent. I can get 130+ FPS on my current 1440 display which is 3.7m pixels. The 4K screen is 8.3m, or about 2.27 times as many pixels, so I should still be able to hold a min of 60 FPS on this 60 Hz screen without changing anything.

The killer thing about this screen is of course not having to deal with the Eyefinity/Surround nightmare and associated SLI/crossfire problems on multi-monitor setups, single monitor connection (DP) and of course the killer PPI on one contiguous screen surface with no bezels to worry about.

does eyefinity/surround even support 4k resolution?

It's meant for work and has extra inputs=scaling and around 1 frame of input lag. A 60hz display with a 17ms-ish delay feels incredible slow compared to a near-delay free 120hz+ display.

I just can't stop thinking about how awesome 4K resolution would be on a 31.5" screen.Then again I am not sure games would be able to scale properly. All icons and text would be incredibly tiny.

does eyefinity/surround even support 4k resolution?

I think that would be a non-issue with 4k displays. The resolution is already so incredibly high that you would not need to increase it, nor would you have the GPU horsepower to run more than one practically. Could you imagine a GPU setup trying to run 25 million pixels with three of these displays in Eyefinity/Surround? Not to mention I don't think it is even supported. The only benefit then for surround/eyefinity would be to try and get the large "wrap-around" visual experience, regular monitors will fit that bill better than 4K displays. At least not for many years.

How are people planning to deliver 4K? Via digital download? And does DP1.2 even support 4K resolution at an acceptable refresh rate? (60Hz)

How are people planning to deliver 4K? Via digital download? And does DP1.2 even support 4K resolution at an acceptable refresh rate? (60Hz)

This is a computer monitor, not a TV. And yes to your second question.

Better start saving up... I wonder what the refresh rate on that is. It would be awesome if we had a 4k 120hz monitor in 1 to 2 years, with GPU's being able to push them non-sli.

http://www.sharp.co.jp/lcd-display/corporate/lineup/k321/index.html

The japanese pdf states it does 60Hz on all normal resolutions (75 and 72 on some small ones no one needs)
As well as 60Hz(DisplayPort 1.2 Multi-Stream or dual HDMI cables) and 24Hz on the native res (important for movie production and viewing)
Seems to be 30bit color but no information if internally or input.. and there's no word on the backlight gamut, only states it's LED...

I'm almost ready to slaughter my piggybank, but there's still insufficient information.

Last edited:
More accurately, it will do native resolution and 60 Hz on a single DP 1.2 input but will require 2x HDMI cables to do the same.

Financially Sharp is in very bad shape. This monitor may not be available all that long. Assuming it ever comes to NA to begin with. The good thing is though it may lead to other manufacturers getting into this size category. That would be good I'm thinking.

It's an interesting monitor but the pixel density is a bit disappointing, I'd rather have the same resolution in a 24" screen.

sure it can,they even link it on the page under "media coverage"

http://www.displayport.org/faq/

http://www.sharp.co.jp/corporate/news/121128-a-2.html

and some wired coverage:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/11/sharp-4k-monitor/

Now if Apple can invest in this or another big PC MFG to shore up Sharp, we'll start to see them in the US sooner rather than later.

I know this is already a big set forward from the $25,000 EZIO 36" 4096x2160 model. Heck if it was closer to $2,00 I'd order 1 right now.

I just this week bought a Dell u2713HM 2560x1440 because I figured the EZIO for $25k would be the standard price range for desktop 4K displays for a few years. If this is MSRP for $5500 it is almost in my reach instead of a eventual PLP setup.

There might not be native 4K content for consumers yet, but I could have more financial charts on screen and still have room for other stuff and 1 monitor versus 2-3 is easier sometimes when they are this large.

Would be better if it was 4096x2160 though if they are trying to cater to the movie content creation types though. next we need some cheaper home 4K projector news

Last edited:
It's edge-lit, according to the video :( For a $5K+ display I would expect a real backlight. Maybe NEC will make a proper monitor with this panel...

Sharp gotta get this on their 70" lineup. I don't know any brand that subsambles @ 4:4:4 as well as low input lag on almost all of their displays.

This, at 40 inch would make sense to get rid of my zr30w for pc flight simming. At just 32 inch it just does not justify the extra expense for a switch. Oh, and ofcourse a bit cheaper.

If the input lag is as good or better than my 2711, I think I may have to get this.

Hopefully this leads to other 4k monitors. I want a 28" or smaller 4k screen and 120+hz.

120 hz 4K screen with flicker-free backlight and accurate colors would be a real upgrade over my trusty NEC. Guess I'll have to wait at least another couple of years :)

4k 120hz sounds too good to happend. The hardware that can push that amount of information is not even on horizon yet.

I want one. And maybe flock it with 2 1080p displays for eyefinity. God that would be a good upgrade over my 30". Running 25mp would be hard, I used to run 21mp.

Back