55" LG 55EC9300 1080p Smart 3D Curved OLED HDTV $1999.99 with free shipping

crazynick

Weaksauce
55" LG 55EC9300 1080p Smart 3D Curved OLED HDTV $1999.99 with free shipping

[Currently $2999 at Amazon]

BuyDig via eBay

NOTE: This matches Micro Center's B&M price and is $349 less than the recent Frontpage Deal. It is also currently $2999 at Amazon [amazon.com]

55" LG 55EC9300 1080p Smart 3D Curved OLED HDTV [ebay.com]

$1999.99 with free shipping

Specs
OLED + 3D + Smart TV + WebOS
Resolution: 1920x1080
WiFi
Thickness: 0.17" (thicker at base)
Inputs:
4x HDMI
3x USB
1x Component
1x Composite
1x Digital Audio Out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311316841073?customid=062d481dcef94a3a8b7245c0b6dc1a69&pub=5574652453&afepn=5337259887&campid=5337259887&icep_id=117&ipn=icep&afepn=5337259887&rmvSB=true

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've heard from people who have seen these up close that they are even better than premium plasmas. Having a panasonic vt series plasma myself if that is true this is one hell of a quality set. Supposedly these things have infinite contrast along with zero motion blur and true to life color. Only thing I'd like to know is what the input lag is like. If it's like CRT we may finally have a true successor to sony trinitron.

I've heard from people who have seen these up close that they are even better than premium plasmas. Having a panasonic vt series plasma myself if that is true this is one hell of a quality set. Supposedly these things have infinite contrast along with zero motion blur and true to life color. Only thing I'd like to know is what the input lag is like. If it's like CRT we may finally have a true successor to sony trinitron.

According to displaylag.com, the input lag is 36 ms, ~ 2 frames, earning a "Great" rating. http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

I'm tempted by this but the CNet review noted that OLED is still prone to burn-in. I've really enjoyed my Samsung plasma but it only needs a few minutes on the morning news for the chyron to ghost for a good 20 minutes afterward.

Their note that an hour at 4:3 can cause burn-in (they implied it was permanent) means that watching a 2.35 ratio movie would risk the same, right? That gives me pause.

I call BS on that. There is no way a company would ship a product that would essentially be broken after 2 hours of use.

My pioneer plasma is still going strong, but this is so tempting. I guess I'll finally retire the plasma this black Friday with oled prices coming this low

I saw this set at Best Buy and it does look awesome. Too bad I dont have the cash as this is a great deal.

I'm tempted by this but the CNet review noted that OLED is still prone to burn-in. I've really enjoyed my Samsung plasma but it only needs a few minutes on the morning news for the chyron to ghost for a good 20 minutes afterward.

Their note that an hour at 4:3 can cause burn-in (they implied it was permanent) means that watching a 2.35 ratio movie would risk the same, right? That gives me pause.

Yea.. that is not accurate. I have over 1,000 hours on mine of PC usage/gaming, console gaming, and movies with no burn in or image retention. I do treat it somewhat carefully when I use it as a PC monitor, but nothing extreme. I have never experienced any burn in or image retention.

The TV also seems to do some sort of wear compensation every 4-6 hours when you turn it off. In some cases, this has completely eliminated IR that people had.

This is the CRT replacement we've all been waiting for.....I'm pretty much just waiting for the 4K version of this to be a little less outrageously priced (as in not $10,000) and I'm in. Best of both worlds, wish they could do without the curve though, but they wanted a defining characteristic thanks to all the "LED" tvs out there. While I wish SED would be resuscitated, OLED is the future and it's here.....My Pioneer Kuro cost around the same as this near the end of its production run so it is a comparable deal, but as I've treated it with kid gloves and not used it all too much over the years, I don't have a need for this just yet that I can't wait for prices to fall even further. My plasma has many years of life ahead of it, as I imagine these OLED sets will as well.

I have the EA9800 from LG & this is 100% true, best TV I've ever owned by a large margin.

OLED will soon be VERY cheap as it will replace all the current types of screens, they're just trying to squeeze out the last drops out of the first movers.

OLED will soon be VERY cheap as it will replace all the current types of screens, they're just trying to squeeze out the last drops out of the first movers.

It's not going to be cheap any time soon, people have been saying its going to get cheap soon forever and it never does. Samsung stopped making their oled tvs, its only lg making them now because its expensive to make them. As far as I have read the only reason LG keeps making them is because they use only white oled with color filters to produce the other colors and this allows them to get acceptable yields.

It's not going to be cheap any time soon, people have been saying its going to get cheap soon forever and it never does. Samsung stopped making their oled tvs, its only lg making them now because its expensive to make them. As far as I have read the only reason LG keeps making them is because they use only white oled with color filters to produce the other colors and this allows them to get acceptable yields.

Clearly I'm wrong because this $2K set would have cost you like $30-50K just a few years ago, and clearly OLED isn't far superior and more versatile than all the other types of screens, I'm sure no one will ever bother trying to make a buck out of them.

I've seen this screen at BestBuy. It's amazing!! However, I was able to pick up a slightly used Sony 4k 55in tv for my home office for less than $750 and there's no way in hell I would ever buy another TV that isnt 4k.

Clearly I'm wrong because this $2K set would have cost you like $30-50K just a few years ago, and clearly OLED isn't far superior and more versatile than all the other types of screens, I'm sure no one will ever bother trying to make a buck out of them.

This set is on clearence... its last years model. A few years ago would have gotten you this:

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55EA9800-oled-tv

far cry from the $30-50k you claim.

That same first initial set cleared out at $2k just like this one is now... Hardly a price reduction. You can troll all you want, I never said anywhere anything about the sets features or value, only price...

I just got the Sony 950B 65" a few months ago to last until I l can get a 70" OLED 4k panel for under 2 grand so I'll be waiting at least 3-4 years of not longer.

This is a good deal but 55" is too small for me currently.

Depends on your definition of soon - more like 3-4 years, if everything goes well.

LG doesn't have the production capacity to reduce prices below $2K and satisfy demand.

And like others have mentioned, the only reason this set is so cheap now is because it's being phased out. LG's no longer making 1080p OLEDs.

1080p lulz. 4k will be streamable soon. Once it does the value of even the best 1080p TVs drops to a few hundred dollars.Not a sound investment to buy a premium 1080p right now..

1080p lulz. 4k will be streamable soon. Once it does the value of even the best 1080p TVs drops to a few hundred dollars.Not a sound investment to buy a premium 1080p right now..

Uhh, 4K streamable content is already available, although it only looks about as good as a 1080p Blu ray due to compression...

As for this set hitting a few hundred dollars, I highly doubt it, I'd buy one for each bedroom at that price, LOL.

It already exists, but it requires ~ 25 Mbps and if you've got a capped connection, you're going to have problems if there's a decent amount of content. It'll also be highly compressed. If I get a 4k set, I'll go the extra mile and buy a 4k BD player. If you actually care about picture quality (presumably the reason to go to 4k), then might as well invest in quality source material (of course you and most others wont, because most don't care about PQ, just like most don't care about SQ)

For those reasons, if I had to choose between OLED or 4K, I pick OLED. I'd rather be dazzled than just the same ol' in higher resolution, and it'll make everything look that much better. Hell, the guys that invented the blue LED won the Nobel Prize for it just last year! But if it was a 4K OLED for this price? No brainer! However long it takes for that to happen!

I bought a Samsung 55 inch curved 4k series 9 for 1600 bucks locally a few days ago.
This is not a deal and LG panels, especially this looked pretty crap in the shops. The panel also has distance between screen and bezel resulting in dust etc going in the panel circuitry or motherboard etc.

For those reasons, if I had to choose between OLED or 4K, I pick OLED. I'd rather be dazzled than just the same ol' in higher resolution, and it'll make everything look that much better. Hell, the guys that invented the blue LED won the Nobel Prize for it just last year! But if it was a 4K OLED for this price? No brainer! However long it takes for that to happen!

The main advantage of 4k isn't resolution, it's gamut. Assuming the TVs are covering the recommended color space, the new sets will exceed the Adobe RGB color space by about 50%.

If 2K OLED comes close to that, then you're probably right, but otherwise, 4K wins.

I bought a Samsung 55 inch curved 4k series 9 for 1600 bucks locally a few days ago.
This is not a deal and LG panels, especially this looked pretty crap in the shops. The panel also has distance between screen and bezel resulting in dust etc going in the panel circuitry or motherboard etc.

No offense but the LG OLED is leagues better than your samsung in PQ. Also curved and 55" at 4k means that if you are farther than 4 or 5 feet from your screen you wasted your money

The main advantage of 4k isn't resolution, it's gamut. Assuming the TVs are covering the recommended color space, the new sets will exceed the Adobe RGB color space by about 50%.

If 2K OLED comes close to that, then you're probably right, but otherwise, 4K wins.

Nothing about what you said is true. Resolution has nothing to do with color space, someone took you for a ride when telling you that. Probably best buy employees LOL

OLED has the ability to reproduce color better than any technology to date. Hell, plasmas do color better than 4k lcds and OLED beats plasma(not in color accuracy though, the king is still a calibrated panasonic plasma until someone perfects the OLED panel)

The only advantage 4k gives is picture sharpness. They are exactly the same as the 1080P screens before them just with 4x the pixel density. The only thing we can use right now at 4k resolution is pretty much just PC games, everything else is 1080P upconverted to 4k which has the same problem as DVDs upconverted to 1080P, which is that they don't look much better than their standard resolution.

Last edited:
^ What he said.

People are so ridiculous. Maybe by 2025, they'll be enough titles for 4k to even be considered.

4k is the new 3D. A fad born of marketers and paid for by ignorant consumers.

Mine is arriving today. Just waiting for the phone call from the air freight company for delivery. So stoked. This price is incredible for OLED.

LG just released pricing on their 4K OLED sets arriving at dealers this week. The 55" is ~$6000. This 1080p set is a no brainer at $1999, although the deal looks dead now as they increased the ebay price back up to $2399. I decided to go ahead and buy this now and then transfer it to the bedroom in about two years when the 4K variants become actually affordable. The 4K variety has no chance of being below $4500 by Christmas 2015 so fuck waiting for that. I'm not paying another $2500 for 4K capability.

Also, to the person wanting flat instead of curved LG has accommodated for that with the release of the 4K variants, but you're in the same boat waiting a year or two for them to drop to this price range.

No offense but the LG OLED is leagues better than your samsung in PQ. Also curved and 55" at 4k means that if you are farther than 4 or 5 feet from your screen you wasted your money

OLED has the ability to reproduce color better than any technology to date. Hell, plasmas do color better than 4k lcds and OLED beats plasma(not in color accuracy though, the king is still a calibrated panasonic plasma until someone perfects the OLED panel)

The LG screen that I saw did not look better to me. Maybe on paper OLED is fantastic and everything but LG running its own demo vs. Samsung running a 1080P upscaled looked better in terms of sharpness of image and colors.

Ofcourse this is subjective assessment but I would rather do 4K than do 1080P OLED any day of the week. The Samsung upscaler was also the best looking when compared with Sony, LG and Toshiba 4K tv sets that I saw.

So yeah, I will continue to maintain my subjective opinion and continue to offer it to people willing to listen. Spending 2K+ on a tv that is not even 4K is absurd in this year.

As for content, you must know that the new bluray 4K players and discs will be out by Q3/Q4 of this year so I don't see any hurdles in less content going forward. Also 4K streaming has already begun. 3D vs. 4K is a very different ball game and 4K has already won out.

The LG screen that I saw did not look better to me. Maybe on paper OLED is fantastic and everything but LG running its own demo vs. Samsung running a 1080P upscaled looked better in terms of sharpness of image and colors.

Ofcourse this is subjective assessment but I would rather do 4K than do 1080P OLED any day of the week. The Samsung upscaler was also the best looking when compared with Sony, LG and Toshiba 4K tv sets that I saw.

So yeah, I will continue to maintain my subjective opinion and continue to offer it to people willing to listen. Spending 2K+ on a tv that is not even 4K is absurd in this year.

As for content, you must know that the new bluray 4K players and discs will be out by Q3/Q4 of this year so I don't see any hurdles in less content going forward. Also 4K streaming has already begun. 3D vs. 4K is a very different ball game and 4K has already won out.

4K looks great and is far from a gimmick, I would agree, but all you have to do is turn down the lights to see the fundamental difference in quality between your Samsung LCD and an OLED panel in whatever resolution. People who spend $2k+ on an OLED know what they're paying for.

4K is not the jump 1080p was, at least on a 55" unless you sit rather close... It looks good but I'll take the inky blacks of OLED over it any day.

Plus, 99% of content is still 1080p, and you aren't going to see 4K Blu-ray replace everything this year. It's going to be a slow rollout, initial players will be expensive, just like when Blu-ray was first released. Once 4K content is actually plentiful, likely in 2-3 years time, I'll upgrade to a 4K OLED - prices by then should be much more reasonable.

I'm glad your happy with your Samsung, but I don't know why you are trying to convince anyone that the OLED isn't worth it. There must have been something wrong with the demo footage you saw, or settings were off..

Nothing about what you said is true. Resolution has nothing to do with color space, someone took you for a ride when telling you that. Probably best buy employees LOL

The only advantage 4k gives is picture sharpness. They are exactly the same as the 1080P screens before them just with 4x the pixel density. The only thing we can use right now at 4k resolution is pretty much just PC games, everything else is 1080P upconverted to 4k which has the same problem as DVDs upconverted to 1080P, which is that they don't look much better than their standard resolution.

http://hometheaterreview.com/the-colors-the-thing-that-will-make-4k-so-amazing/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._2020

^ I don't think any 2015 4K TVs are Rec.2020 compliant still. Some of them have a wider color gamut, yes, but they don't cover the entire Rec.2020 space.

Hopefully economies of scale will kick in and you won't have to choose between OLED and 4K in a few years. I am fortunate enough to own an LG OLED TV (office) and a Samsung 4K tv (living room), and they really can't be compared. Both devices were calibrated with an i1 Display Pro/CalMAN and the LG puts the Samsung to complete shame in overall viewing experience. One of the best examples that I can give is the "movie" TimeScapes. I have the 4k UHD copy and it looks mighty impressive on the Samsung, but it still looks significantly better on the LG even with the resolution discrepancy.

With that said, I still wouldn't change my setup. I wanted a larger television than 55" for the living room, and I couldn't stomach the premium that the larger OLED's command today. Like you said though, this is also my own subjective opinion. I feel comfortable enough providing it since I use them both several times a week.

My set arrived today :) The PQ is incredible

Pdrb.png

^ I don't think any 2015 4K TVs are Rec.2020 compliant still. Some of them have a wider color gamut, yes, but they don't cover the entire Rec.2020 space.

I stand corrected. I found topics on AVS that confirm what you just said. So for now, 4K is mostly resolution...though I've read 4K also makes passive 3D truly HD (though don't recall if that's with current BD or not. Looks like I'll sit on the sideline till next year.

Yeah he beat me to it. It's just a color standard that needs to be adopted by the cameras shooting the content before it would even be able to get to the display. Problem is 99% of LCD screens are 8 bit or 6 bit dithered. The higher color standard requires 10-bit or 12 bit and LCD just isn't capable at this moment in time. Also there is no reason 1080P screens wouldn't be able to use the standard as well, it's just that some 4k screens have the capability right now while the 1080P variants don't have it implemented. Either way OLED would still look better at the old standard because it reproduces a much higher amount of the standard vs LCD.

grats x3shpere I'm jealous

I totally want one. These things make my Panasonic plasma look like ass. I need 65"+ though. I'd take a 1080p OLED set over any other technology at 4K.

Kind of wishing I wouldn't have missed out on this deal. Been looking at them for a while now...

Back