512MB 7800 Ultra a possibility?

Polish Ninja said:
I found this x800 Fatal1ty review

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=ODA2LDE1

where Doom 3, Half-life 2, and Battlefield 2 all benefit from 512mb of video memory. If a game like HL2 runs faster with 512mb then surely FEAR, Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, Prey, etc. will take advantage of 512mb too. If it provides a performance increase then I'd imagine Nvidia would at the very least solder on another 256mb and sell 7800's for more $$$.
damn you.... now instead of 450 on a 7800gtx... i have to spend 550 or so on a x1800xt or 7800gtx ultra
mad.gif

Entropy1982 said:
damn you.... now instead of 450 on a 7800gtx... i have to spend 550 or so on a x1800xt or 7800gtx ultra
mad.gif

heh i'm in the same boat, I'm gonna be in the market for an 7800gtx here soon...ah well hopefully I'm far enough out that 512MB GTXs/Ultras have dropped from msrp. i'm also waiting on the new asus a8n32-sli deluxe.

mastercheeze said:
heh i'm in the same boat, I'm gonna be in the market for an 7800gtx here soon...ah well hopefully I'm far enough out that 512MB GTXs/Ultras have dropped from msrp. i'm also waiting on the new asus a8n32-sli deluxe.

oooh what's that? :) .... i was super set on my DFI ultra D since i don't plan to SLI anyway (or at least i don't think i will) and just mod it later if i will (it's moddable to sli) and i hear the board is a great overclocker

I didn't read the entire thread but I'm pretty sure I saw 512 7800 announced. But it was probably the inq so...........

Entropy1982 said:
oooh what's that? :) .... i was super set on my DFI ultra D since i don't plan to SLI anyway (or at least i don't think i will) and just mod it later if i will (it's moddable to sli) and i hear the board is a great overclocker

pretty much an a8n-sli premium with some extra goodies....

hardforum linkage

Asus USA page linkage

supposedly coming out this month, i'm interest mostly because of the 8-phase power. don't know too much technical about it but they sure make it sound nice :p

it will go good with my future 512MB 7800GTX/Ultra :D

I think nvidia would only release a newer/faster 7800 GPU based card if the newer ATI cards does bring a halt or slows the sales of the 7800 line.. Even if so, I would believe nvidia has already made profit with there newest gen since its been out for quite awhile now. Especially since they've gained so much support over that period of time with many computer distrubitors. Not to bash ATI, but they've dug themselfs into quite a hole for the time being & I know its a company that does not want to play catchup like they did in the past. I have no doubt there new line would be pretty solid, they just need to pick up the pace. I would rather see it how it has been the past few gens. Two great GPU companys releasing nearly at identical times & let us consumers to determine what is better for our hard earn dollars. I don't want to see a back & forth thing start to occur with both companies. That may make it harder for people to keep up. This may not help ATI either since nvidia already has the edge on them for the time being.

-DarkLegacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMAN
I have it from a very reliable source that a 7800 Ultra is going to be released,they are just waiting for the right time and for the GTX to drop a little more in price.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
linkage.

you cant just claim something with no proof
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I cant reveal my source, but i can say it will be faster than the R520 and will have 512mb of ram and will cost about the same as the R 520. There will be a 256 version also.

CMAN said:
Quote:
I have it from a very reliable source that a 7800 Ultra is going to be released,they are just waiting for the right time and for the GTX to drop a little more in price.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
linkage.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I cant reveal my source, but i can say it will be faster than the R520 and will have 512mb of ram and will cost about the same as the R 520. There will be a 256 version also.

I do hope you are correct, but I wish there was some proof for this statement.

It would make perfect sense that Nvidia would do this but then again companies do drop the ball.

I just hope it gets released soon - my 3-months to take advantage of the eVGA step-up program is almost up!

CMAN said:
Quote:
linkage.

any approximation on dates?

trinibwoy said:
I just hope it gets released soon - my 3-months to take advantage of the eVGA step-up program is almost up!

same.. I bought mine on July 30th or something... come on Nvidia... hard launch it now!

Entropy1982 said:
any approximation on dates?

VERY soon after the R520 release,theres no point it releasing it right now. Do you remember when ATI released their new card right after the 6800 was released,Nvidia hasn't foregotten that and has something for them.

CMAN said:
VERY soon after the R520 release,theres no point it releasing it right now. Do you remember when ATI released their new card right after the 6800 was released,Nvidia hasn't foregotten that and has something for them.

im gonna laugh if nvidia hard launches the very second that count down on ati's site expires.

With all of the media coverage this weekend, you are starting to sound like that New Yort Times lady who refused to reveal her source :) I have to say I agree because it's stupid to think that nVidia has been sitting back not working on anything to counter ATI all this time.

CMAN said:
Quote:
linkage.

pandora's box said:
im gonna laugh if nvidia hard launches the very second that count down on ati's site expires.
That would be extremely embarassing for ATI... :eek: Let's hope the X1800XT is competitive enough to make nVidia push their boundaries even further (when GPU companies compete = we win!). :D

pandora's box said:
They will probably give them a few hours in the limelite,but not too long.

Back