• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

$500 Office PC build

yangx

n00b
Joined
Apr 5, 2009
Messages
5
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
little gaming if any, casual games. Mostly web browsing / Office work

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
520 tax/shipping included

3) Where do you live?
Minnesota

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, RAM, Case, power supply, motherboard, hard drive, cd/dvd burner, and a video card - on board video card is fine.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I have no parts to reuse.

6) Will you be overclocking? no

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
19inch - 22inch

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
building or buying - which ever is best

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
none

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, I have a 32/64bit windows 7

I'm building this computer mainly for Office work.

I've put together an Intel build.

LIAN LI PC-A05NB $89.99

GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard $79.99

SAPPHIRE 100291L Radeon HD 5450 $44.99

CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX $64.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 $91.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB $54.99

Pentium Dual-Core E5400 $69.99



and a dvd burner for 20$


Total about $516.93,

I'm looking to order something soon and build it by the end of the week.
Also, any recommendation on an AMD build that would be better for the $$.
I'm also interested in a i3/i5 build if I can keep it under $600.

added cpu
 
Last edited:
Honestly, just get a Dell. For your uses it makes the most sense.

I configured a Vostro 230 that has a Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 3 year warranty, and a 20" monitor for $550. Look at the Vostro's instead of the Inspirons and you can get a good deal.

Also I think you forgot a CPU in your list...
 
Honestly, just get a Dell. For your uses it makes the most sense.

I configured a Vostro 230 that has a Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 3 year warranty, and a 20" monitor for $550. Look at the Vostro's instead of the Inspirons and you can get a good deal.

Also I think you forgot a CPU in your list...

hmm that's not a bad idea. I'll look into that.
 
If the prebuilt route doesn't pan out, that custom build is not that good for the money. Mostly good parts but shitty price to performance ratio.

Better setup for the money:
$163 - AMD Athlon X4 635 CPU + MSI 880GM-E43 AMD 880G ATX Motherboard
$82 - G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$55 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$57 - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W PSU
$90 - Lian Li A05 case
$20 - DVD Burner
---
Total: $467 plus tax and shipping.

Faster hard drive, faster CPU, better CPU for multi-tasking, large, cheaper but equal quality PSU, and cheaper yet equally performing DDR3 RAM.
 
Back
Top