$500 Non-Gaming Basic PC Build

soul555top

Limp Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Web Browsing (Email, Youtube, Netflix), Office Apps (Word, Powerpoint), Light Photo Editing.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$5-600 including tax/shipping.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Bellevue, WA 98006
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, RAM, PSU, MOBO, Case, HDD, Optical Drive (Not BluRay), possibly a memory card reader?
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Monitors will be purchased locally. Reusing decent kb/m combos.
6) Will you be overclocking?
No.
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
I assume nothing over 1920x1080 max. 20-27"
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
ASAP
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Obviously will need USB, but other than that nothing special. Plan on using onboard video since no gaming.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Will need Win7 licenses. I dont think I will do Win8 as the users are comfortable with Win7.

So I am looking into building two identical builds for my mother and aunt. They have very minimal needs computing wise, but they are interested in a built machine. They have both had budget prebuilts in the past, and have been unhappy with them from the get go. I am just starting to look around to see if this is feasible, but figured I would check here to get some opinions as well. If you think going prebuilt is a better option, can you please give me some options? Thanks!

What budget prebuilts did they get in the past?

It is possible to build a non-gaming basic PC build with OS for $500 but it's generally more cost-effective to get a prebuilt. In fact there's a great deal that ends TONIGHT for a prebuilt Dell PC with monitor for $380 shipped:
http://www.gotapex.com/content/6247...urner-WiFi-20-LED-LCD-Monitor-for-379-Shipped!

There's also this Lenovo deal:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883255242

And this Acer deal:
http://www.gotapex.com/content/6249...B-HD-DVD-Burner-for-449-99-with-FREE-Shipping!

Not entirely trusting of Acer but the Lenovos and Dells are solid.

The prebuilts from the past are their current computers, a Dell and an HP.

Both computers are so sluggish now and have tons of little issues with them. Issues that I never experience on my sig rig. Stuff like forgetting what program opens PDF's, the sound cards going in and out... I figured by buying decent parts and building it, I could avoid those types of issues.

*Also, thanks for the input Danny. You have helped me in the past and you sir are a rock star.

Back