~$500 Computer Build for my Mother.

Mati71

Limp Gawd
*Update* My mother just gave me $1000 cash to spend on a new computer, suggestion?

Thanks!

My mother asked that I would update her Pentium 3 build that shes had for ages. She doesn't really use or have a TV, so she watches a lot of internet TV from her bedroom

What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc.

My Mother does a lot of web surfing such as places she should not link too (get rich websites and what not). It's rather annoying because shes one of those Chain email forwarders that I tend to delete instantly as I receive them (mostly of health notification on miracle pills and the lot). She doesn't do any photo-chopping but she likes to upload her pictures of her grandchildren. As for Gaming, yes, she likes to play the most recent games possible, believe it or not, but she doesn't have a computer that will do that now. She loved playing Doom, Half-Life and Graphic Adventure games like Myst.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

Budget is around $500, though she would be flexible for the increase in cost for the necessary performance/part change.

3) Where do you live?

Washington State

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

Necessary: CPU, RAM, Case, Graphic Card, Hard-drive, Blue-ray drive and OS

Other potentials are: Interface card for Portable hard-drive, Bluetooth/wireless internet connection card, or a Sound Card of some sort.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

She has a motherboard, power supply, and portable Harddrive which are:

ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard, Corsair TX750W, and WD 1 TB portable Hard-drive.

6) Will you be overclocking?

Not sure at the moment.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?

She has a 24 inch ViewSonic LCD monitor

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

As soon as I figure out what parts to get.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.

No raid or anything special, just enough function to access her portable Hard-drive and what ever she needs in order to interface with the current motherboard.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

She currently has a 32bit XP Professional, but she want to upgrade to the new Windows 7 64bit version.

My Mother would be excited if she would get the opportunity to go and by a PC game that she can take home after work and play into the wee-hours of the mornings, she's like that. She'd probably start playing World of Warcraft if she could. My Mother loved to sit and watch me play WoW when I was into it.

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
What's the most resource-intensive game or program that your mother may play?

Does your mother watch a lot of Blu-ray movies?

Are you within driving distance of a Fry's B&M store?

I did not work with that because both the socket and ram are eol. While yes the am3 is about to be eol its still based on current ddr3 ram and much newer than the 775 socket.

If you can get (and are willing to buy) a used Q9950 for under $125, go for it. Also realize you'll need DDR2 instead of DDR 3.

Otherwise, ditch the P45 motherboard.

Here's my suggested build.

$80 - AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core
$120 (before $30 MIR) - BIOSTAR A770E3 AM3 AMD 770 ATX and XFX HD-485X-ZNFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB
$39 - Rendition by Crucial 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
$40 - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM
$36 (use promo code EMCKFJE35) - NZXT GAMMA Classic Series GAMA-001BK Black Steel ATX
$60 - LITE-ON Black 4X Blu-ray Disc Reader SATA Model iHOS104-08
$100 - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit English 1-Pack - OEM

Subtotal: $474.92
Shipping: $19.31
Total: $494.23
Total after MIRs: $464.23

The Athlon II X3 450 will beat any comparably priced new socket 775 chip (basically any 775 dual core chip.) You also have a chance at unlocking the fourth core, and it's a pretty decent overclocker.

The 4850 that Hossdaddy found is the best card for your budget right now. It has a ton of combo deals too.

I would at least get the Bluray player from my build. It's the same drive as the one Hossdaddy included, but it's a retail drive so it will have Bluray software which is needed for Bluray playback.

For this small of a budget, use the motherboard's integrated sound.

@ Tirades - She wants to be able to watch Blueray Movies and she does dables in Autocad once in awhile.

@tonytnnt, hossdaddy, Suprfire and Tirades - looks good, but how would this setup compare with a Q9550 if I can find it used?

An additional Question, should I get a Blueray disc player as well as a regular DVD? or does it not matter (thinking of wear and tear). Also what about Wireless Connection/Bluetooth.

Thanks Very Much!

Games like WoW are optimal with 3 cores , a 4th core would not provide nearly as big of a performance boost as going from 2 cores to 3 cores would.

The x3 450 processor would be great for WoW. But if you want an extra core for newer games that are coming out which utilize 4 cores... You mentioned Doom and Half-Life 1, so she might be interested in Half-Life 2 or source engine based games which are benefited by a 4th core.

It all comes down to what price you can snag a Q9550 for. But otherwise, the x3 450 is a great performer.

I don't think there's any degradation with Optical Drives so you are fine with just 1 drive.

My mother just gave me a $1000 in cash to spend on a build rather than $500, any suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks very much.

Games like WoW are optimal with 3 cores , a 4th core would not provide nearly as big of a performance boost as going from 2 cores to 3 cores would.

The x3 450 processor would be great for WoW. But if you want an extra core for newer games that are coming out which utilize 4 cores... You mentioned Doom and Half-Life 1, so she might be interested in Half-Life 2 or source engine based games which are benefited by a 4th core.

It all comes down to what price you can snag a Q9550 for. But otherwise, the x3 450 is a great performer.

I don't think there's any degradation with Optical Drives so you are fine with just 1 drive.

My rig at the stock speed can play any Source engine games with max everything with great fps. Just get her the AM3 based computer, Wait she gave you 1000 and you are only spending 500 get her a 2500k rig :p

Nah, she originally told me $500 bucks but came by the house today and gave me $1000 to put towards the computer instead of $500.

Nah, she originally told me $500 bucks but came by the house today and gave me $1000 to put towards the computer instead of $500.

The AM3 rig is solid, I have had a Athlon II X3 425 for a while now, Its not the model of power but it gets the job done on anything i need and the 450 will be better.

A $1000 budget gives us more room to work with (within reason, of course ;) ):

$170 - AMD Phenom II X4 840 & Biostar TA870U3+ combo
$40 - G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT 2x2GB DDR3 1333 kit
$130 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB HDD & Antec EarthWatts EA-650 Green 650W PSU combo
$60 - Lite-On iHOS104-08 SATA BD-ROM drive (retail model)
$200 - Sapphire 100314-2SR Radeon HD 6870 1GB
$50 - Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX mid-tower case
$100 - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM
=====
$750 - Subtotal (not including shipping, taxes, or rebates)

I used the extra money towards a quad-core processor, a larger capacity hard drive, and a better video card. (Yes, the price includes the cost of Windows as well.) I stuck with tonytnnt's recommendation for a Blu-ray drive as (good) standalone software capable of playing Blu-ray movies would cost you at least $60 more.

The Sapphire HD 6870 has a combo deal that may interest you:

$200 - Sapphire HD 6870 & Total War Shogun 2 PC game

Basically, you receive a free game that your mother may or may not get interested in.

You do have some room in your budget to go with Intel's latest-and-greatest Sandy Bridge setup. Simply replace the board and processor in the above build with:

$268 - Intel Core i5 2400 & Biostar TH67+ combo

Keep in mind that you do pay a premium for going Intel.

Last edited:
I'll put an Intel rig together for you tomorrow. For a $1000 budget I usually recommend a Sandy Bridge chip. It'll pretty much look like tiraides build but might be a tad faster than the i5-2400 and might be able to work in a Radeon 6950 2GB. We'll see.

I'm ashamed to have forgotten to ask this earlier....

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.

No raid or anything special, just enough function to access her portable Hard-drive and what ever she needs in order to interface with the current motherboard.

Which connection(s) do(es) the "portable" hard drive use?

A $1000 budget gives us more room to work with (within reason, of course ;) ):

$170 - AMD Phenom II X4 840 & Biostar TA870U3+ combo
$40 - G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT 2x2GB DDR3 1333 kit
$130 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB HDD & Antec EarthWatts EA-650 Green 650W PSU combo
$60 - Lite-On iHOS104-08 SATA BD-ROM drive (retail model)
$200 - Sapphire 100314-2SR Radeon HD 6870 1GB
$50 - Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX mid-tower case
$100 - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM
=====
$750 - Subtotal (not including shipping, taxes, or rebates)

I used the extra money towards a quad-core processor, a larger capacity hard drive, and a better video card. (Yes, the price includes the cost of Windows as well.) I stuck with tonytnnt's recommendation for a Blu-ray drive as (good) standalone software capable of playing Blu-ray movies would cost you at least $60 more.

The Sapphire HD 6870 has a combo deal that may interest you:

$200 - Sapphire HD 6870 & Total War Shogun 2 PC game

Basically, you receive a free game that your mother may or may not get interested in.

You do have some room in your budget to go with Intel's latest-and-greatest Sandy Bridge setup. Simply replace the board and processor in the above build with:

$268 - Intel Core i5 2400 & Biostar TH67+ combo

Keep in mind that you do pay a premium for going Intel.

Is there something wrong with the 750w Corsair psu she has now?

I was just going to ask about the PSU, the power supply is brand new and never used. Can I not use that?

absolutely! This budget is waay overkill for what she needs, which is a nice "problem" to have :)

Okay, $1000 build.

$323 - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz and GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3-B3
$80 - G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
$275 (before $30 MIR) - XFX HD-695X-CNFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB
$65 - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM
$60 - LITE-ON Black 4X Blu-ray Disc Reader SATA Model iHOS104-08
$90 - LIAN LI PC-7B plus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$90 (use promo code EMCKFJA53) - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit English 1-Pack - OEM

Subtotal: $982.92
Shipping: $26.64
Total: $1009.56
Total after MIRs: $979.56

So the two variables in this budget (if you ask me) are the case and the motherboard. You can get better motherboard for $20 to $30 more, which you can take out of the case by going to the Cooler Master HAF 912 for $60. If you look around the forums you should be able to find Danny Bui's case list if you'd like more choices. I think the Gigabyte motherboard in my build will be more than sufficient for your needs, unless you need eSATA. If you need eSATA there's a few motherboard combos with the 2500k or the Samsung F3 that should meet your needs.

Nice, thanks for all the input! But I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on Tonytnnt build suggestion on the SB $1000 build. Thanks very much for all the help!

And yes, a Gaming Mother.

@Tirades - not sure on the input of her WD 1TB connection, need to confirm that.

Nice, thanks for all the input! But I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on Tonytnnt build suggestion on the SB $1000 build. Thanks very much for all the help!

And yes, a Gaming Mother.

@Tirades - not sure on the input of her WD 1TB connection, need to confirm that.

LOL Your mom is going to have a nicer computer than me and if your sig is accurate you also.

Back