$500 budget, looking for studio monitors

Fully [H]
Source: Yeti Pro USB Microphone connected to MBP

What should I get?

Considering M-Audio BX8 D2.

Any particular reason you need monitors with that mic? IIRC you could monitor directly off that microphone via the headphone jack without any lag or delay. Having said that KRK VXT4's are on sale for like 150ish each? (i think)

I would probably use the headphone monitoring on that mic as well for the actual recording.

It isn't for monitoring. The Yeti Pro has a really nice analogue output. It is acting as my DAC. Bonus: it can act as my volume control for the studio monitors.

This setup is only for listening to music.

Hah interesting, anyway yeah the KRK or the JBL LSR305's or 308's which I mentioned in a another thread.

I strongly suggest going someplace and listening for your self if at all possible... what sounds great to you may not sound great to me and vice verse

couple of screaming deals I see right now (I have listen to both of these quite a bit and love both of them)

Mackie MR5mk3 $129

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...zmap=MR5mk3&zmac=2&zmas=1&zmam=89202644&SID=0

Tannoy Reveal 501a $99 (that is a smoking price right there).

http://www.amazon.com/Tannoy-Reveal...d=1386032888&sr=8-50&keywords=STUDIO+MONITORS

to my ears either of these will be better than the KRK's or JBL's

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I should mention that I have no issues with cosmetically challenged or used items.

As a result I'm also considering the Dynaudio BM5a mkii.

At that price I would go for them, but who are you using as broker for used monitors? GC?

Consider Guitar Center at least you'll have a peace of mind if you need to return it within 30 days.

Dynaudio is a good choice, JBL and KRK are good choices, Mackie is a good choice though a bit over expensive usually.

If you've found some used Dynaudios for a good price, that might be worth looking at. They make some pretty damn good speakers. Their BM series aren't their "high end" stuff but then their high end is pretty far up there.

The good news is that even new, you'll find that for that money you get some nice sounding speakers no matter who you choose.

I've been very happy with these: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605500&seq=1&format=2

They are pretty much an exact clone of M-Audio’s BX5 monitors (which cost twice as much)... so much so that there's talk of lawsuits - it seems that Monoprice may have a line into the same factory that makes the BX5's - the specs are identical between the two.

They also offer an 8" version of the same - for $100 more. (Basically identical to the M-Audio BX8 D2 you were considering). On a budget, these are a great bang for the buck as to value. And I can't complain about how they sound at all. :)

Last edited:
I was considering these. Too bad I can't demo/buy them locally.

I've been very happy with these: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605500&seq=1&format=2

They are pretty much an exact clone of M-Audio’s BX5 monitors...
At $150.xx, plus $22.xx in shipping it is $172 and some change. This means that it is only $7.xx shy of the BX5 D2 on Amazon. Not so much of a bargain now. :(

I like the BX5, if only there was a seamless way of integrating it with my Energy ESW-M6 subwoofer.

At $150.xx, plus $22.xx in shipping it is $172 and some change. This means that it is only $7.xx shy of the BX5 D2 on Amazon. Not so much of a bargain now. :(

Ya, they go on sale every once in a while - they were $129 on cyber Monday - same price I picked them up for on sale a while back.

Unfortunately not, but they do have a 30 day in-home trial period. It is a bit of a hassle to unpack, repack, and ship them if it comes to that, but I feel they are well worth looking at.

I was considering these. Too bad I can't demo/buy them locally.

Yeah, the 30 day trial makes it a lot less risky. Excellent speakers though, I doubt you'll want to get rid of them :)

Back