500,000 Downloads of Windows 8 Since Last Night

16 GB of free space is kind of a lot to ask for if you're running an SSD. Honestly I think they should be trimming Windows down, not bloating it up further. Vista and 7 are already big enough IMO.

this includes superfetch and other cache features and things you can turn off, also page file.

SSD are dropping in price anyways so people likely will be buying larger ones and not the 60G or smaller as much now

MrGuvernment, the costs of SSD does not go down all that fast once we factor in the march of technology. SATA3 128gb vs a SATA2 128gb when new would make one wonder if we can hit $1 per gb for the newest offerings on the market anytime soon.

Ideally we need 256GB to get the best performance that SSD can provide. MSATA format at this size is too cost prohibitive and it is only recently that we see the MSATA catching up to SATA3 SSDs controller wise.

Keep in mind that this isn't feature complete. It is also very unusual for them to put a developer preview (which is basically milestone 3) in public hands.

They obviously want to scour all these sites for posts, etc... and make some adjustments to the 'feature complete' version.

Regardless of my feelings on my use of the preview build, I think releasing it to see this kind of feedback was a very smart move.

Keep in mind that this isn't feature complete. It is also very unusual for them to put a developer preview (which is basically milestone 3) in public hands.

They obviously want to scour all these sites for posts, etc... and make some adjustments to the 'feature complete' version.

Regardless of my feelings on my use of the preview build, I think releasing it to see this kind of feedback was a very smart move.

The remarkable thing about Windows unlike any other OS is that millions of people will run pre-lease versions from day one and Microsoft obviously wants to leverage this as much as possible for Windows 8 since it such a huge initiative. Since I want to learn about Metro development like millions of others I will be running Windows 8 full time on my EP121 from here on.

I tired it out on my main rig for about 30 minutes then put win 7 back on. Did not like it at all. Didn't run very well on my system. Trying to navigate around was a pain. I really hope they don't try to stick with this touch screen crap for a desktop.

this.. i cant for the life of me, figure out how to close a window.. you hit the win key and the OS "suspends" leaving it in memory, but it stops using processor power. if you want it gone, you have to open task manager from the desktop and term it that way.... i assume after a period of time, it may do application suspend to disk (like putting the pc into suspend mode, but on a per application basis) other wise, we are going to need a LOT more ram. i could see gamers and true power users wanting 64+gb for this OS if it leaves it in the ram. the new task manager kicks some serious ass however... i hope someone finds a way to port it backwards to win 7 :D

I assume alt+f4 still works to close windows?

this includes superfetch and other cache features and things you can turn off, also page file.

SSD are dropping in price anyways so people likely will be buying larger ones and not the 60G or smaller as much now

I wont be buying SSDs until the 256GB + models start selling for $100 or less.

I used Windows 8 all day with a keyboard and mouse as much as I could all day and there was nothing painful about it. Overall the new Start Screen to me works just fine with keyboards and mice. I'd like to see tile groups and the ability to scroll vertically but I just don't see any them that's really difficult or slowing me down.

I used it on a Thinkpad with "the nipple" and then on my desktop (connected to a 42" screen) with it. Both experiences felt counterproductive to me.

It probably could be better refined on the Thinkpad with Lenovo releasing better drivers, but I found myself hurrying to get off of Metro and back to the desktop every single time. Even in desktop mode, the Start menu doesn't pull up a full menu (which is EXTREMELY frustrating for a lifetime Windows user). ...it took me 10 minutes to figure out how to add my hidden wireless network (cause it's not a direct option) and then tweaking any extended settings required going to Metro to click "Control Panel" and then going to the additional options of the Metro powered condensed Control Panel screen (which brought you back to the familiar Windows desktop one). All of that only takes me about 2-3 clicks in Windows 7.

On my desktop PC, multi-tasking was only an option without Metro. I usually have 2+ browser windows side-by-side or multiple Word or PDF documents that I need to compare (which is part of the reason for a 42" screen). I couldn't do that at all with Metro. It felt like playing on an Xbox or trying to use my phone on-screen with a mouse...only with more apps. If I wanted apps, I'd get a Mac. I want "applications" and programs.

It really seems like Microsoft only cares about the future consumer laptop and tablet market with this upcoming release. I really don't see how any business user would adopt this nor any power user that's used to the traditional Windows layout.

Again, I'm compensating for the fact that this is a pre-beta, multiple applications I tried installing wouldn't work correctly and drivers were an issue. Overall, I like the idea...it's just a poor implementation of it (and I've used previous MS betas and love MS's early "Metro" concept with Zune and Windows Phone).

...just my opinion and experience.

Right, which means no flash on any Win8 tablets. I wasn't concerned it would be the case for desktops. Still sucks; webOS seems to handle Flash very well.

I honestly do not like it and to be honest this will be hard to win over the business crowd..

Right, which means no flash on any Win8 tablets. I wasn't concerned it would be the case for desktops. Still sucks; webOS seems to handle Flash very well.

Unless third party browsers like firefox are blocked like they did on the iOS, there's nothing stopping other browsers from implementing it.

The AIR platform is in pretty good shape here, especially if MS starts handing out applications in an online appstore as well. At the moment, you've got the same AS3 based applications running on HTML, iOS, Android, and Windows. You can actually upload your flash games into the android market right now, and it'll be available for download the next day, right next to the other applications.

It became preferrable when making media sites because you only had to contend with one language (AS3), but on html you'll have to juggle three (HTML, CSS, Javascript) and even now, an html5 website is guaranteed to break if you open it in a different browser. And now, rather than learn Objective-C(iOS), Java(Android), and .NET(MS), you just need to learn Flash to start making applications on all three platforms. Adobe has already assured that flash based apps will run on Windows 8.

I assume alt+f4 still works to close windows?

no it dosent... in fact. even windows keying out of it... the music fromt he game im no longer interested in is still playing.. you MUST kill it from task manager.. untill someone finds the right way to do it.

The remarkable thing about Windows unlike any other OS is that millions of people will run pre-lease versions from day one
How is this remarkable?
The same thing occurs on linux, android, OSX, iOS, and as far back as I can rememberer even OS/2.

Unless third party browsers like firefox are blocked like they did on the iOS, there's nothing stopping other browsers from implementing it.
A number of third party browsers handle flash in iOS.

A number of third party browsers handle flash in iOS.

I don't use my ipod anymore but first version of firefox was a glorified bookmark manager, Opera streamed from their own web server and the app was just an output window. There were no possible ways for an alternative browser to display flash content, they can't even be called 3rd party because they're just piggybacking on the stock browser.

Simply put, when people were clamoring for flash, there were no third party browsers allowed on iOS.

Skyfire was released for iOS about four months after Firefox Home so I'm not sure what you mean by "when people were clamoring for it"

anyway, the point is it wasn't "blocked" as you put it

How is this remarkable?
The same thing occurs on linux, android, OSX, iOS, and as far back as I can rememberer even OS/2.

Android and iOS aren't desktop OSes, people just don't download and install those on spare phones by the millions and the number of Windows 8 beta deployments will probably rival Linux production deployments which happened with Windows 8.

I used OS/2 back in the day, not a bad OS actually but certainly never popular enough for people to download hundreds of thousands of alpha copies in an evening though of course the Internet downloads weren't like they are today.

16 GB of free space is kind of a lot to ask for if you're running an SSD. Honestly I think they should be trimming Windows down, not bloating it up further. Vista and 7 are already big enough IMO.

Yes, I seem to have forgotten that HDD and SSD sizes have shrank over the past few years. Storage space is now more valuable than ever.

i havent read anything about win 8 taking advantage multicore/multithread hardware. Will it be the same as win 7?

i hav the ent read anything about win 8 taking advantage multicore/multithread hardware. Will it be the same as win 7?

Actually in the Keynote by Sinofsky other day he made reference to Windows 8 actually having improvements that improved utilization of multi-core CPUs.

Back