500,000 Downloads of Windows 8 Since Last Night

HardOCP News

[H] News
Steve Ballmer, during a surprise visit to the Microsoft Developer conference, said that a half million copies of Windows 8 have been downloaded since last night. :eek:

Ballmer noted the early enthusiasm for the product — 500,000 copies of the operating system have been downloaded since last night, he said. However, he said the company still has a lot of work to do. “We still have a long way to go with Windows 8,” Ballmer said, noting that while much of the core operating system is in place, the company still is working on the services that will accompany Windows 8 as well as the efforts to bring it to ARM-based systems. “It’s not going to be Intel or ARM,” he said. “It’s going to be Intel and ARM.”

I'm using it with the latest VirtualBox right now...Windows 7 with a WP7 shell...

Wow I did not even realize it was ready yet. I thought it was only available to specific parties before it goes public. I might check it out.

i had my old dual core 939 and a core2 setup floating around i'm gonna install on tonight. I'm currently too happy with my win7 setup to bother tinkering on it with a new os atm.

If I had to use two words? Weird and Fluid.

Also, get ready to "LOVE" the Windows key.

Does Win8 Dev Edition expire sometimes in the near future?

I am thinking this will end up being another Vista dud as it concentrates too much on tablet touchscreen stuff. Sorry, but I don't want a touchscreen interface for my desktop. Windows 7 works too well for me to give it up unless there is a really good reason.

If I had to use two words? Weird and Fluid.

Also, get ready to "LOVE" the Windows key.

this.. i cant for the life of me, figure out how to close a window.. you hit the win key and the OS "suspends" leaving it in memory, but it stops using processor power. if you want it gone, you have to open task manager from the desktop and term it that way.... i assume after a period of time, it may do application suspend to disk (like putting the pc into suspend mode, but on a per application basis) other wise, we are going to need a LOT more ram. i could see gamers and true power users wanting 64+gb for this OS if it leaves it in the ram. the new task manager kicks some serious ass however... i hope someone finds a way to port it backwards to win 7 :D

The 2 interfaces look so disjoint right now that it seems to me that there are really 2 different OSes in 8 patched together. Hopefully they will make the integration smoother, but the idea is that they want one OS to rule them all; At times it looks childish while at other times it really looks polished. Its all about the apps and cloud in this os, plus touch and fancy graphics. I don't really find any productivity boost with this vs. 7..

What if I already "LOVE" the Windows key?

Then you would be the first I've heard say that! My problem is they are trying to make the Windows key act like the Home key on Modern phones and it just feels a little awkward. Maybe I'll get used to it if I switch over, not sure yet.

On another note I do like the live tiles, my question is how well dev's will pick up on using them and If I will be able to add shortcuts to it, such as game shortcuts. I tried created a shortcut and clicked "add to start menu", but it did not make a new tile. I guess we'll see in a later build perhaps.

Diablo 2 made me hate the windows key..
Since you used every other key adjacent to it and it not being disabled in game, I would hit it about every 10 minutes.. Win-Key can DIAF

I don't know if I like the whole metro start menu on the desktop, but I LOVE it on a Touch screen. I have an extra HP TouchSmart laptop that swivels into a (really bulky) tablet, and it works great.

Gonna load this up on me Asus EP121. I just installed a new 128gig SSD and a new wireless N/bluetooth card, so this should rock and roll and really pull out the potential from this tablet.

seems like a very short run for win7. shame, i rather like it. i'll be keeping it for a long time yet.

One of those downloads right here. I'll probably load it up this weekend on my spare laptop and try it out.

Installed it on a laptop and hated it...with a passion!

I could see it working well on a touchscreen, but it's like a giant Windows Phone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against a desktop change, it's just that everything took about 3-4 extra clicks to get to (like extended Control Panel options or even Shutdown) and there was nothing intuitive about it. ...and like someone mentioned already, there's no "X" in programs (if you right click, it just gives you settings, but nothing to close it out).

The concept of a giant taskbar dominating the screen is cool, they just need to make it work better with a mouse. Also, I tend to like multiple programs open at once and side-by-side. This "Metro" concept completely killed mutlitasking for me.

I hate to say it, but if this is what Windows 8 will end up shipping as, my next laptop will be a Mac and my desktop will stay Windows 7.

I hate it also. I see use on a phone or tablet, but a desktop PC, the thing sucks. I'm sure you can remove the stupid panel of crap and just have a desktop.. But why switch from 7 then?

Guys they already have a great desktop mouse/keyboard OS, Win7. How can you draw conclusions of a touch centered pre beta OS when you only used it on a pc?

My question would why would you want to run a Dev copy which is just a tad above Alpha stage, when the Beta will be released within a few months and be more like the finished product?

If you have to ask that here, you don't deserve to work for [H], much less post in it :-P

http://onsoftware.en.softonic.com/how-to-download-and-install-windows-8

How to: Download and install Windows 8
By Elena Santos on 14 September, 2011

Windows 8 Developer Preview, a very early testing version of Windows 8 mainly addressed at software developers, is already available for download. You can choose between the 32-bit, 64-bit and 64-bit with development tools, and test it as much as you like until November 3rd, 2012 - the preview's expiration date. Hardware requirements are the same for the three versions: a 1-GHz processor, 1 GB of RAM memory and 16 GB of free space in your hard drive. Not too much to ask for these days.

Reactions: Santa
like this
I am thinking this will end up being another Vista dud as it concentrates too much on tablet touchscreen stuff. Sorry, but I don't want a touchscreen interface for my desktop. Windows 7 works too well for me to give it up unless there is a really good reason.

I think WIndows 8 is trying to be the merger between platforms, one universal OS across all devices, not like a desktop version and a mobile version so to speak.

seems like a very short run for win7. shame, i rather like it. i'll be keeping it for a long time yet.

not really.. MS OS releases used to be about every 2 years.. just XP screwed that up.

My question would why would you want to run a Dev copy which is just a tad above Alpha stage, when the Beta will be released within a few months and be more like the finished product?

Perhaps if you are a developer which is the main reason I loaded it on my EP121. And also if you have a Windows tablet which was the other reason I loaded it on my EP121. It still pretty rough but what is that is actually pretty solid. Office 2010 works, web browsing works, and the dev tools work of course. No reason to take the EP121 back Windows 7 ever again for me.

Guys they already have a great desktop mouse/keyboard OS, Win7. How can you draw conclusions of a touch centered pre beta OS when you only used it on a pc?
Anandtech made note of the fact that the tablet-centric Metro shell is the UI for all versions of Win8.
You can get to the desktop, but it takes a few steps and the Metro UI seems to always come back.

No one is forcing you to upgrade. All versions of Windows, with XP as a blatant exception, retain flagship status for only 1-3 years. However they are usually updated and supported for about 8-10 years after release (Windows 7 extended support ends in mid-2019 IIRC).

I hate it also. I see use on a phone or tablet, but a desktop PC, the thing sucks. I'm sure you can remove the stupid panel of crap and just have a desktop.. But why switch from 7 then?

Exactly! Feels like a total step backwards for me. They did a great thing with the taskbar in 7 and I could see an evolution of it to replace program icons...but Metro is painful with a mouse (as it currently is).

To the best of my understanding, Metro will be the main focus of all versions of Windows 8.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/08/31/designing-for-metro-style-and-the-desktop.aspx

Exactly! Feels like and there just wasn't anything painful about it. a total step backwards for me. They did a great thing with the taskbar in 7 and I could see an evolution of it to replace program icons...but Metro is painful with a mouse (as it currently is).

I used Windows 8 all day with a keyboard and mouse as much as I could all day and there was nothing painful about it. Overall the new Start Screen to me works just fine with keyboards and mice. I'd like to see tile groups and the ability to scroll vertically but I just don't see any them that's really difficult or slowing me down.

this.. i cant for the life of me, figure out how to close a window.. you hit the win key and the OS "suspends" leaving it in memory, but it stops using processor power. if you want it gone, you have to open task manager from the desktop and term it that way.... i assume after a period of time, it may do application suspend to disk (like putting the pc into suspend mode, but on a per application basis) other wise, we are going to need a LOT more ram. i could see gamers and true power users wanting 64+gb for this OS if it leaves it in the ram. the new task manager kicks some serious ass however... i hope someone finds a way to port it backwards to win 7 :D

Anybody with a video on how task switching works on metro? I'm kinda dependent on the task bar. Like putting a custom toolbar pointing to my work folder.

Quote: Hardware requirements are the same for the three versions: a 1-GHz processor, 1 GB of RAM memory and 16 GB of free space in your hard drive. Not too much to ask for these days.

16 GB of free space is kind of a lot to ask for if you're running an SSD. Honestly I think they should be trimming Windows down, not bloating it up further. Vista and 7 are already big enough IMO.

Yeah, my windows key is going to wear out first. You exit applications using the windows key. Right clicking does some configurations mostly.

Startup and shutdown times are really fast, even on an old 250GB hard drive.
So far, all windows 7 drivers are working just fine. Monitor, network, graphics cards are installed with no glitches.

Back