$50 video card?

brockj

n00b
I am in the process of a Sandy Bridge Z68 build right now, and am needing a video card. I know I can use the onboard and have been, but I would like to start doing some light gaming as I continue to add on (only so much cash on hand). I am wondering if you think $50 will be enough for a used video card to tide me over for a few months. What should I expect to find used for $50? About the only new game I am looking to play will be Heroes of Stalingrad when it comes out, otherwise most of the games I play are a couple years old.

I think you can find a 4850 for that amount.Look in for sale section I believe that is where I have seen them

any new card that costs $50 would likely be only as good as the onboard video. I agree that looking for a previous generation used card would be your best bet.

Thank you for the responses. Would you say a 4850 would be better than an 8800 GTX? I have found a couple of those used for around $50, but want to get the best I can...

Thank you for the responses. Would you say a 4850 would be better than an 8800 GTX? I have found a couple of those used for around $50, but want to get the best I can...

I think it is. I was building a system around that time and remember comparing the two and ended up with a 4850. And it's a slightly newer card that IIRC requires less power than the 8800.

Sounds like a 4850 might be the way to go. I am not at all hung up on getting a new card, a used card will be just fine for the time being...

Sure $50 cards are out there.I personally am selling a few right now.I'm not trying to offer them to you but stating they are out there.A good 8800GTX will play most 2-3 year old games pretty well.If you can add a few bucks I have seen 9800GTX+/GTS250's go for $55-60.

I just got off a 512mb 4850 a few months ago. You know, with that hot shot cpu you have, it should do very well with games that are a couple of years old. I had mine backed with a i7 920 and could run Age of Conan maxed with no shadows or AA at 30-40 fps. That is a pretty demanding game too. Also, I could run Gears of War maxed out butta smooth. STALKER ran well. So if you are thinking of older titles the 4850 should do nicely. I upgraded to a Nvidia 580.

the ati 4850 would be a good card to get .
i have 9800gtx and gts250 as well 4sale in the AnandTech forum for 55 -60 too

It goes like this:

HD 6950 = 100% = 250$

GTX 460/GTX 280 = 50% = 125$

8800 GTX/HD 4850/HD 4870 = 25% = 50-75$

I would get either a 1GB HD 4850/4870 or a 768MB 8800 GTX.

I would NOT get the 8800 GTS 512 or anything with 512MB of RAM.

And in comparison to onboard:

8800 GTX = 128 SPs.

HD 3000 = 12 SPs.

A 50$ graphics card should be up-to 10 times faster than the best onboard today.

Ok, once again I thank everyone for their contributions, it has been very helpful. I have narrowed it down to a few cards, and this is what I am seeing:

eVGA 8800GTX 768MB Superclocked
eVGA GTS 250 1GB
Sapphire HD4850 1GB

The 4850 is like 15% more $$, what would you pick and why?

Ok, once again I thank everyone for their contributions, it has been very helpful. I have narrowed it down to a few cards, and this is what I am seeing:

eVGA GTS 250 1GB
Sapphire HD4850 1GB

I would get the 4850, because it does a little bit better in most benchmarks than the GTS 250. Also what coolers are on the cards? My Sapphire 4850 1GB has a single slot cooler that made a ton of noise, and if that's also the case with the one your looking at I would probably go for the GTS 250.

My 4 year old 8800GTX is still kickin! I'm enjoying GTA:SA right now with all settings maxed @ 1920x1200 @ 60+ FPS with a few dips down to 30ish. :)

If you're not in a huge hurry, you'll definitely find some decent cards in the lower $$$ range. I picked up a XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB Card a few months ago for around $75 after rebate. Just search the deal forums here. Another option is to pick something used up off of eBay...

eVGA GTS 250 1GB
Sapphire HD4850 1GB

here is a comparison between a 4850 and the 8800GT:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/177?vs=178

Good choices above. I would swing towards the 4850 if you could find a XFX version properly registered so you would be the 2nd owner (and covered under their lifetime warranty). If the premium isn't too high. Otherwise one of the Nvidia cards from a person with good Heat that could help if you needed to do a warranty claim.

What is the comparison with the 5670 Sapphire Vgal cards? These are $60 and $70 after rebates.

Last edited:
I'm running a used Sapphire 4850 512mb on a 1920X1080 monitor, and I game honestly at about 80% of the level I did with my 570. Same resolution, graphics maxed out on BFBC2, Just Cause 2, L4D2, etc. The only thing I sacrifice is detailed shadows and a ridiculous AA (used to run at like 32x, now its like 2x) but to be honest I don't notice the difference.

Thanks again, still hunting around. I have been watching the For Sale list here, still not quite enough posts to list a WTB ad, I do have one over at Anandtech, got a few offers, basically the items I have mentioned, but still looking. I think I have been pretty much convinced the 4850 is the way to go, just trying to hit one for $50 shipped.

I am in the Twin Cities, not many listed. I think I will try a posting here and maybe have better luck!

Well I found my card. Ended up going with a GTX260 Core 216, got it for $60 shipped which is the same as I what I was seeing for 4870's. I was looking at some reviews and it looks like that card does better for Oblivion which I will be playing a lot of waiting for Skyrim to come out. I appreciate everyone's help and comments, been too long since I built a machine and having great forums like this make it so much easier!

you should post some benchmarks when you have a chance. Almost all the GTX 260 benchmarks to be found will be with older cpus so yours could be useful to some people.

I just sold a GTX 260 for 60 bucks. Buy used, they work just as good and you get more card for your money.

I know I am not supposed to sale stuff in this forum so I wont. But if you PM me I would like to offer you a Radeon HD 6570 2GB edition. It sitting on my desk. Its a new card that was release not more than a few months ago. It uses the AMD Turks GPU.

Other than that there is nothing for $50.00 that will exceed the IGP new atleast.

I know I am not supposed to sale stuff in this forum so I wont. But if you PM me I would like to offer you a Radeon HD 6570 2GB edition. It sitting on my desk. Its a new card that was release not more than a few months ago. It uses the AMD Turks GPU.

Other than that there is nothing for $50.00 that will exceed the IGP new atleast.

OP got a GPU already.

you should post some benchmarks when you have a chance. Almost all the GTX 260 benchmarks to be found will be with older cpus so yours could be useful to some people.

Got the card today and everything seems to be working quite smoothly. What benchmarks would be best? I would be more than happy to run some and share with everyone, least I could do. Let me know what you would like to see and I will do my best! Don't really have any new games to benchmark, so anything freeware, just let me know.

What games do you have?

Looked up some free game benchmarks and came up with this:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/four-free-game-benchmarks-that-will-make-your-pc-scream/

Not sure if its current but they say Crysis, Just Cause 2, Mafia 2 and HAWX 2 all have benchmarks you could use for free. Out of those I'd say at least Crysis because so many people have used it and there are tons of other ones to compare it to (using older cpus). Not sure how much of a difference the cpu would make but that is where you could help! Try to do Mafia II also

Look in cdw bstock...I think they have 5750's for about $65 or so. Is that close enough to $50 for you ?

I think they have a 4850 for $52

Back