5 years... It's time.

Cabn12

Limp Gawd
I haven't upgraded my board and processor since 9/8/2009. I used to be big into over clocking and upgraded every 6 months. But competing hobbies have taken me away from the cycle and for a long time it wasn't financially worth upgrading for such a small percentage gain. I've been thinking about it for some time but today after processing vacation pics in Light Room the rendering process took far too long.
I'm still running a Core I7 920 at 3.2MHz with 6GB of memory on an Asus P6T. Who says overclocking can shorten the life of a processor;)

What are my options for a mid range processor board memory combo? Would todays processor in the 200 -350 price range be worth the upgrade?

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Some Gaming, Adobe Light Room, Video Rendering
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
600 US and under. Best bang for my buck!
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
U.S. NH
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU,Memory,Board,
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Reusing the SSDs and Raptor HDD, GTX 570
6) Will you be overclocking?
Only if I dont have to touch the voltages and the heat is easily managed by a reasonably quiet HSF
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Two 22" NEC EA231WMi @ 1920 X 1080
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Now but can wait a few months is something on the horizon
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Need RAID. Everything else would be gravy
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Win8 64. legit.

Last edited:
It would help if you answered the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!" so that we can help you better.

Back