• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5.1 vs. 2.1 for games?

Wildman_CAL

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
97
Perhaps I am missing something here but it seems to me there is a major shift in sound cards to 2.1 audio rather than 5.1 (at least via analog). Anyone tell me why the newer sound cards coming out don't have 5.1 for analog anymore? I'm contemplating upgrading my X-Fi Gamer to something new but would have to also get new speakers since they are an older Logitech 5.1 system.

Appreciate any feedback.
 
Not many 5.1 computer audio sets are coming out these days.
 
Get a receiver + 5.1 setup, not these snakeoil computer speakers with glaring freq. holes that logicrap are peddling. My 2 cents.
 
Last edited:
Damnit, I just spend the last few hours going through 7.1 mixing stuff. It really is an underappreciated technology, but TBH it only works in certain situations and is very positional. To have the full effect of all 6 speakers you need to be center to all of them, which might not be possible in your seating arrangement. With 3 speakers (2.1) you only really need to be between the 2 satelites with them pointing at you (I know theres more rules then that but I wont go into them). So basically, it might be already dictated to you by your room, if you dont have any way of surrounding yourself with speakers.
 
Is this for game "immersion" or for multiplayer? If it's for the oomph of speakers and 'feeling' the game, then a 5.1 set can be nice but I don't find them necessary anymore. Many 2.1 systems out right now are just phenomenal in performance for the price.

If it's for multiplayer, where hearing footsteps positions and what not, I've found that a good pair of headphones is the way to go. Nothing beats it really.
 
I have an X-Fi Titanium Fatality card with Boston BA7900's which are 5.1 that do a good job.

5.1 Surround is one reason I got the corner desk I have.
 
Back
Top