- Joined
- Jun 6, 2000
- Messages
- 6,348
Ronco said:How about the 5.1 phones and sitting on a sub?Or more realistically, something like a Buttkicker?
if I sat on my sub.. my head would touch the ceiling.
http://www.thunderpimp.com/subwoofer/page.html
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Ronco said:How about the 5.1 phones and sitting on a sub?Or more realistically, something like a Buttkicker?
The Daddy I guess.Mister X said:Baby O's or Daddy O's?![]()
Ronco said:The 5.1 idea is still interesting. I think I might get a pair of the Medusas.
It's great isn't it, everyone has a totally different opinion and are equally reasonably convincing in their own way I have to say my curiousity's piqued. I use the Sennheiser Orpheus for my gaming needs (pulling double duty as regular listening phones of course) and I find that unless I hear the transition from left or right, sometimes I find it difficult to tell front from back. It could just be wrong settings but I've pondered if there is a more fool-proof solution to this problem.
I assume you do NOT own these $20,000 headphones...
But 5.1 headphones surely is more then a gimmick. Hi Fi people will not like it but then these people doesn´t seem to enjoy gaming very much.
As for music you don´t need more than stereo for music and thus you can for sure get headphones for the same price that sounds better. My Kinyo was about 100$ or something don´t recall and it did come with an amp which I am sure helped it some. The similar priced 890 and the cheaper Porta PRO both didn´t have any amp. Now the amp is hardly high end. The headphones hiss a lot when no audio is produced but I guess it helped them keeping up with those supposedly better sounding headphones.
Ronco said:The Daddy I guess.
Ronco said:I think it's been said or implied by more than one person on this thread that absolute sound quality is not the issue for some gamers. I would agree with that to an extent. Many of the reviews and denegrations of these phones seem to be from a listening point of view, and whats more I distinctly get the impression reading through many of the 5.1 headphone threads that many who're commenting on them haven't tried them. As I said myself, whether they sound good is not an issue for me. Whether they do 3D well is far more of interest. I've been asking for comparisons, yet there's not been much in the way of answers to that. It's always focused around how terrible they sound. If they do positioning well, in games it may not be necessary to feel every boom. At least that's the way I think about it. Anyone willing to give more specific comparisons of how the positioning ability differs in 5.1 phones versus regular ones?

standard141 said:ok final question what are the best headphones i can get for 50 bux or less that can be used for eeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvverrrrrrrrrything??
ray4389 said:By earbuds I mean the ones that are the canal ones..
serbiaNem said:I love the X-fi CMSS with my a900s. The 3d mode adds depth positioning I've noticed and extends part of the left and right channels to the back of the head. I don't see how a 5.1 headset could compare..
Yeah, but we've been through this. It's all in your head, literally. Good 3d positional audio on decent cans will pretty much always win against the surround headphones out right now, and with the constant advances in that kind of positional audio it's hard to see them really dropping behind. That's mature technology, the way we perceive position is fairly well understood. A properly manipulated sound doesn't need physical direction to have perceived direction, our ear is just a canal so all the different directions aren't taking very different paths once they've entered our heads.oqvist said:By actually physically move let and right channels back and forth from the head.
thore said:i answered this back on the first page.. its all about sound stage you only have 2 ears... the only advantage you would get out of haveing more speakers would be the fact that the different drivers thump on your skull in different places, and you cant call these earphone's 5.1 any way... its not possible to have 5.1 sound out of 6 speakers in this config, as there are only 6 drivers, what this would mean is that you have front left rear left frot right and rear right... this means that the bass drive is all in one ear and the middel channel is all on the other... and that would compleat the 6 drivers needed, you would have to have 8 drivers to simulate 5.1 or 4 to simulate surround sound other wise its fudgeing the center and lows and totaly fucking with the setrio image. if they use an electronics network to make a center left and center right ect, then it would have to be getting the info from the front and rears to compleat the image, and i doubt they are doing this as such a curcuit i would imagen to be quit costly and would cause some lag in the sound output for processing the image, not to mention you would need a power supply for it .. and i dont see one.. and , if it is useing the front and rears to compleat the image , then all 6 speakers would be basicly produceing a .... sterio image...... positional audio will NEVER beat sound stage sterio, as far as true position is concerned... if it dose help in games it is only for the resonate factor (different drivers beating on your head) allow you to feel the sound on your skin, and you interpret it as coming from that direction .
its kind like e-machines.. just because they make them dosent mean its right
thore
oqvist said:If so why does 5.1 speakers work![]()
This has always confused me. I mean in real life I can tell if sound is coming from my back or from the front even despite I only have two ears
Just common sense...
