• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4x4 Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawt :p
Specially those 4 16x pci-e slots. It's a shame they didn't have any of the cards in sli :(
 
Oh wow...I suddenly want an AMD 4x4 system...

I think that motherboard might even fit into my Lian-Li PC-62b :D
 
Weird...
4x4 is supposed to be geared toward enthusiasts, and yet they've gone back to the 2-screw mounting design from 754/939/940. I thought everyone preferred the more secure clamps from AM2...?
 
You have to look at that thing, and think, "Damn, amazing what Hypertransport can do!"

If Intel, can offer a platform with as much scalability as 4x4, I'll give them the credit that is due. But at this point in time, If you were to build the "God system" 4x4 would have to certainly be it.

Of course I don't know many people who can afford it, and those I do know, wouldn't do it anyway. So you have to question the viability of the system in a commercial aspect. But even still it's damn impressive that its even possible at all.
 
formfactor looks weired. This thing IS bigger than ATX, right? Still doesn't look like full eATX spec... :confused:

...

ah, and yeah, i want one ;)
 
Mama Mia - that's-a-one spicy meat ball! And ya - I'd love one of those baddies too! Sort of like wanting a dual 4 bbl 426 Hemi or 440 6 pack setup on my road runner! If multiple carbs are good for a car why not mutiple processors, video cards and hard drives for my computer? :p Affording all that is another matter though, but its nice to dream!
 
This hurts :

http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35843

MOTHERBOARD manufacturers are dismayed that AMD's 4x4 team went with Asus alone, as supplier of the first 4x4 boards....
An un-named product manager company accused AMD of, "acting like Intel". "We won't help them in future", he said.

He claimed that AMD knows its 4x4 "QuadFather" won't beat Kentsfield on performance, and this opinion was also voiced by other people we talked with....
 
Inq was contacted by an angry competitor of Asustek , it's not a rumour.Is not uncommon to wage wars through online tabloids...
Anyway , we'll wait and see.
 
I am begining to think 4x4 may have more a following than many of us realized.

Buy a 4x4 system now and still being able to upgrade to a dual quad cores next year does look to be a viable long term system foundation (long term being relative to Hard users :D )

My scenerio is I'm sure like many others. We have decent AMD64 systems but are looking to take the quad core, vista, DX Video card plunge next year.

I could go Kentsfield, but looking at the specs of K8L and more importantly AMD fantastic HT , I would rather put my faith and money on AMD this round once more.

With 4x4 I could purchase my rig soon, take on two (hopefully realistically priced) FX processors and have a kick ass system ready for the R600 and Crysis when it comes out. The sheer power of the system should easily hold me off until next fall where K8L should come down a bit in price. Then when the price goes down pick up two quad cores.
 
Just today my mother sent me an email after reading about ASUS drama at the checkout counter in Acme. :p

Really though, that's hot. It also doesn't look full eATX to me either. I would expect a full eATX board to have tons of DIMM slots. I'm imagining quite an amount of RAM.
 
duby229 said:
You have to look at that thing, and think, "Damn, amazing what Hypertransport can do!"

If Intel, can offer a platform with as much scalability as 4x4, I'll give them the credit that is due. But at this point in time, If you were to build the "God system" 4x4 would have to certainly be it.

Of course I don't know many people who can afford it, and those I do know, wouldn't do it anyway. So you have to question the viability of the system in a commercial aspect. But even still it's damn impressive that its even possible at all.

If you read more than Fansites you'd not make such foolish statements but what's new?

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/415/1/

Dream Machine: Kentsfield + 8800GTX SLI + 680i SLI

I personally would want to see the Xeon version of this.

I do agree with you about prices though. But I know folks who can afford it but still laugh and call them (AMD's and Intel's) Space Heaters or worse.
 
LOL I guess I'm not the only one to see the funny side of that article eh Donnie? :p

AMD accused of 'doing an Intel' is funny enough. That the mobo makers are angry enough to claim it's inferior to Kentsfield before the thing is even launched... that's priceless. Talk about negative publicity FFS! Or, as our man dubya229 likes to say, FUD!!! ;)
 
It's freakin funny :D

I post one thing about 4x4, and the fan boys come flyin in :D

4x4 is not for everyone, but let's face it. nvidia's chipset uses HT..... The wonders of HT. Lets see Intel's platform do the same.. If nVidia chooses to release the platform for socket 775 so be it, but remember that this is the technology that was pioneered by AMD. Once again Intel gets caught following the leader.

When will Intel ever release a truly innovative platform? I can't remember the last time they did. They are still using the same 20 year old platform they have always used. They take two dual core dies and hack them together on an MCM, and you fan boys go nuts. AMD actually gives us a platform that allows memory bandwidth to scale with the number of cores, and you throw a fit.

AMD provides a useful scalable architecture, AND platform, and you guys throw a fit....

This thread is about 4x4... Not your precious Intel... Get out, your not welcome here. If you jack asses want to hijack this thread, like you do every other, I'll have it locked right now.
 
Eh, dubyas having a hard day at the office it seems. Here, have a cigie, it's good for the nerves. :D

I don't see how that is irrelevant. AMD limiting 4x4 to Asus is BIG news. Doesn't matter if it's good or bad news, it's still news at the end of the day. But of course, dubya is only interested in the good news. ;)

"They take two dual core dies and hack them together on an MCM, and you fan boys go nuts."

Actually, most people I've seen are a bit 'meh' regarding Kentsfield, it's cool because it's quad core, but everyone knows there are better quad cores to come in the near future.

It's funny you mention 'fan boys going nuts', because a certain someone in this thread seems to be getting a hard on over a 4x4 mobo pic... ;) :D
 
harpoon said:
LOL I guess I'm not the only one to see the funny side of that article eh Donnie? :p

AMD accused of 'doing an Intel' is funny enough. That the mobo makers are angry enough to claim it's inferior to Kentsfield before the thing is even launched... that's priceless. Talk about negative publicity FFS! Or, as our man dubya229 likes to say, FUD!!! ;)


When you stop and think about it TheInquier has always biased itself toward it’s own best interest.

The claim of AMD doing an Intel, well, isn’t the best defense always a good offence?

Think if terms of politics and the media for a moment then think of who would benefit most from the implied unsubstantiated claims made in the article. In other words, it is possible that company “I” pulled another company “I”?

At any rate I find the 4X4 approach to be a far superior upgrade path, supporting many more upgrade options for either the well heeled enthusiast or AMD’s new found growth in the commercial server market.

I believe this new platform is really nice for the up grader, build as you go so to speak. You don’t have to dump ungodly amounts of money up front, you can do it as you can afford it.
 
BillR said:
I believe this new platform is really nice for the up grader, build as you go so to speak. You don’t have to dump ungodly amounts of money up front, you can do it as you can afford it.

If 4x4 had mainstream CPUs to begin with I'd agree with you. But cmon, how 'cheap' do you think even an FX-70 will be?

AM2 and C2D are both more 'upgrader friendly' budget wise. Both have cheap dual cores available currently and both are upgradeable to quad core in the future. I can't see most enthusiasts needing anything more than a quad core next year, so both AM2 and C2D has that covered.

The ONLY advantage 4x4 has over AM2/C2D is 8-core when QC K8L is released, and quad SLI, both of which won't be cheap. Hey, it's good to have the OPTION of 8 core and quad SLI, but it'll be priced far too high to have any real effect on 99% of the enthusiast market. Still, it's good for e-penis bragging rights I guess. :D
 
Is the 4x4 system going to make ocing more difficult. Maybe not if u buy both cpus and get the same week but if you get different weeks your going to be limited in the oc.
 
WarriorX said:
Is the 4x4 system going to make ocing more difficult. Maybe not if u buy both cpus and get the same week but if you get different weeks your going to be limited in the oc.

They will only be sold in matched pairs, so that isnt going to be a problem. Priced from below 1000$ to above 1000$. Eventually they will be priced as low as 500$. Keep in mind these are FX branded and will only be available in matched pairs.
 
WarriorX said:
Is the 4x4 system going to make ocing more difficult. Maybe not if u buy both cpus and get the same week but if you get different weeks your going to be limited in the oc.

Actually AMD is packaging in matched pairs so that shouldn't be a problem :)
 
ehh, 4x4 is too expensive and power hungry (with too little performance) to consider buying over a Kentsfield....

BUT.... if someone gave me one, I sure as hell wouldnt complain :D

Quad core seems like the sweet spot for me.... sure, most ppl dont see the need, but I know that I'd use more than 2 cores easy, and I know quads will be the standard from 2008 until a very long time.....
 
brucedeluxe169 said:
ehh, 4x4 is too expensive and power hungry (with too little performance) to consider buying over a Kentsfield....

BUT.... if someone gave me one, I sure as hell wouldnt complain :D

Quad core seems like the sweet spot for me.... sure, most ppl dont see the need, but I know that I'd use more than 2 cores easy, and I know quads will be the standard from 2008 until a very long time.....

Truth is I am a fandude of no company. I don’t buy anything Intel because I simply don’t like the way they do business. Creative Labs is another company that falls into my list and a few others as well.

I don’t really come to the AMD forum to be told people are stupid, or are making bad decisions etc, there is an Intel forum for that I believe.

Speaking of Intel, why is it that IBM while choosing once again to build the world’s fastest computer has chosen AMD in combination with Cell processors? I doubt it’s because they have a budget problem. Why did HP pull all of its development money from Intel? Perhaps it’s because they chose to sell AMD servers and they are doing quite well at it I might add.

One last of many points, Why did Lucas/ Dreamworks drop all their thousands of Spark rendering machines and rebuild the entire rendering farm with AMD?

One of the answers is many compaies are fed up getting stuck with code optimized for Intel. Part of this is understandable because of Intel’s long history but more and more companies are writing proprietary code these days to meet their special needs. Code one can’t buy on the open market. Hell, even certain distros of Linux are geared specifically at the AMD 64 core (s).

This market changes too quickly to make snap decisions based on a few benchmarks. Many good things are coming from both CPU makers and every once and a while one has to step back as things go back and forth and take a look and see who might have the longer term solution for us who can’t / Won’t replace a system every 6 months or a year.

An example would be like ordering a 2008 high performance car based on specs without even having seen one let alone driving it. ;)
 
brucedeluxe169 said:
ehh, 4x4 is too expensive and power hungry (with too little performance) to consider buying over a Kentsfield....

BUT.... if someone gave me one, I sure as hell wouldnt complain :D

Quad core seems like the sweet spot for me.... sure, most ppl dont see the need, but I know that I'd use more than 2 cores easy, and I know quads will be the standard from 2008 until a very long time.....

What benches have you seen? I'd certainly be interested in them. Its claims like this that have no basis in reality that need to be questioned.
 
duby229 said:
They will only be sold in matched pairs, so that isnt going to be a problem. Priced from below 1000$ to above 1000$. Eventually they will be priced as low as 500$. Keep in mind these are FX branded and will only be available in matched pairs.

You've got to be an AMD employee, no doubt about it. I gave you the links showing them them going for $999 to $1500.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34918

FX-70 CPUs will be clocked at 2.6 GHz, with the price of $999 for a dual-processor retail box.

FX-72 will be clocked at 2.8 GHz, and with the price of $1132, it presents an interesting choice, since it outclocks Kentsfield.

FX-74 is clocked at 3.0 GHz and finally breaks the 3 GHz clock barrier for desktop and dual-core CPUs in general. However, the price is currently planned at sky-high $1500, so who ever spends that amount of money in the year of K8L (Barcelona) arrival, it should better have another $1,500 in the bank - for quad-core Barcelona babies, of course.

These are tray prices or before markup.

Now just because you're on the AMD side of the forum doesn't mean you should lie or try to BS people in the name of spinning a good story for AMD. Sure now come back with some kind of Lame personal Attack LOL! YOU are full of it!

Yes Harpoon, that crack about Intel showed that the Inquirer has a soft spot for AMD. Have them show some similar that Intel did? Shouldn't AMD f@ns be protesting?

Any negative news towards AMD is something only Intel Fanbxys bring up according AMD F@ns and clearly Duby is not the only one. He can't keep Intel out of his posts but whines and cries when they're defended. If he just posted about 4 X 4 and not try some poor assed example of FUD toward Intel, I don't post to him.

The nVidia Intel board uses Hypertransport between the north and south bridges.

To: BillR.

Deal with it! Intel and Creative are the best right now, like it or not. Settle for 2nd rate products if you like, that's fine: When better sound cards than Creative's ships, I'll buy just like better than C2D, I'll do the same. The market needs consumers, not loyalists;)
 
The king of the fan boys has arrived.....

Those prices have been known for months now Donnie. At the same time its also been known for months now that those are just simply the intro products. Everything, including your precious Intel does the same thing. Look at the quad core prices they set. Same thing... Will they remain that high? No... Period. Deal with the facts donnie. And quit calling me a liar.

Like I said this thread is about 4x4, Not your precious Intel. If you cant stay on topic, then I'll have this thread closed.
 
BillR said:
Truth is I am a fandude of no company. I don’t buy anything Intel because I simply don’t like the way they do business. Creative Labs is another company that falls into my list and a few others as well.

I don’t really come to the AMD forum to be told people are stupid, or are making bad decisions etc, there is an Intel forum for that I believe.

Speaking of Intel, why is it that IBM while choosing once again to build the world’s fastest computer has chosen AMD in combination with Cell processors? I doubt it’s because they have a budget problem. Why did HP pull all of its development money from Intel? Perhaps it’s because they chose to sell AMD servers and they are doing quite well at it I might add.

One last of many points, Why did Lucas/ Dreamworks drop all their thousands of Spark rendering machines and rebuild the entire rendering farm with AMD?

One of the answers is many compaies are fed up getting stuck with code optimized for Intel. Part of this is understandable because of Intel’s long history but more and more companies are writing proprietary code these days to meet their special needs. Code one can’t buy on the open market. Hell, even certain distros of Linux are geared specifically at the AMD 64 core (s).

This market changes too quickly to make snap decisions based on a few benchmarks. Many good things are coming from both CPU makers and every once and a while one has to step back as things go back and forth and take a look and see who might have the longer term solution for us who can’t / Won’t replace a system every 6 months or a year.

An example would be like ordering a 2008 high performance car based on specs without even having seen one let alone driving it. ;)

dude, 4x4 is all about desktop high performance, not Lucas' render farms, custom Linux distros, and w/e nonsense you brought up....

Anyway, Core 2 has proven itself to be all around superior to the K8 architecture, and the Kentsfield has shown itself to scale wonderfully with the 2 added cores. Now please don't insult me and ask for benches... because anyone with a 1/2 a brain can google them. 4x4 is nothing more than a DP opteron system... and honestly, if one K8 X2 can't compare to a Conroe, two K8 X2s wont compare to Kentsfield....

anyone that thinks that 4x4 will be more power efficient, better price/performance, or just plain better performance than a Kentsfield on a desktop is delusional.


And yes, back to the base topic of the 4x4.... I will give you guys one thing: motherboards bought that support it will definately have a long lifespan. With K8Ls being backward compatible with 4x4 boards, the potential to have 8 cores based on a next gen arch is very awesome. I honestly don't think going 8 core will be as easy to obtain on an Intel setup since they will probably stick with one socket (with good reason, since that FSB *is* still there after all). So yea, until Nehalem or w/e chip brings the CSI comes out, AMD will be the only 8 core game in town.
 
Donnie27 said:
To: BillR.

Deal with it! Intel and Creative are the best right now, like it or not. Settle for 2nd rate products if you like, that's fine: When better sound cards than Creative's ships, I'll buy just like better than C2D, I'll do the same. The market needs consumers, not loyalists;)

So you are saying that IBM is going to build a record setting computer using second rate parts. Very logical indeed. Your comment also applies to HP and Dreamworks as well. you might want to rethink your unthought post.

As for being a consumer there are over 20 PC’s in my house all bought and paid for by me. Two weeks ago a customer brought over his Dell 24” LCD to be properly calibrated. Once done he and I agreed things like Far Cry and HD movies were lifeless and dull. I showed him the same material on my Samsung 244t. The Dell went back that day and he is now the proud owner of a 244t.

As for sound cards in general, why would I want a sound card in my computer with all that electrical noise? I simply plug my PCM output into a pretty good surround system as I have yet to hear ANY computer speakers that can handle the dynamic range we deal with these days in movies and games.

On that note:

Please take your superiority complex back to the Intel forum, you will have friends there who will agree with you and make you feel better and certainly help make you more secure with your latest purchase.

There is simply no reason to drop in here to sell the AMD customers on what you believe we should be buying. :rolleyes:
 
brucedeluxe169 said:
And yes, back to the base topic of the 4x4.... I will give you guys one thing: motherboards bought that support it will definately have a long lifespan. With K8Ls being backward compatible with 4x4 boards, the potential to have 8 cores based on a next gen arch is very awesome. I honestly don't think going 8 core will be as easy to obtain on an Intel setup since they will probably stick with one socket (with good reason, since that FSB *is* still there after all). So yea, until Nehalem or w/e chip brings the CSI comes out, AMD will be the only 8 core game in town.

Well, thank you for that one concession :rolleyes:

Once again; On that note I give you the same invitation I gave Bruceluxe:

Please take your superiority complex back to the Intel forum, you will have friends there who will agree with you and make you feel better and certainly help make you more secure with your latest purchase.

There is simply no reason to drop in here to sell the AMD customers on what you believe we should be buying.
 
umm I think the other plus about 4x4 is simply put 4 16x sli slots, meaning quad sli, if the drivers are there, and if there is another gx2 the possibility of oct-sli (if the drivers are there of course) mean it could be very possible to run 8 K8L cores and 8 8800 gpus.... this is nothing more then e-penis....even if you have 4 K8 cores, you still could have 4 8800GTX's in sli, something intel cant do, and can hold it over their heads, and if it makes a difference AMD can claim that their 4x4 systems are getting higher fps then any 4 core intel machine.
 
duby229 said:
DAMN!! Look at that beast!! I'd hate to be the one who routed those cables!!

Haha I agree! I ususally enjoy routing my cables, and have even done so for friends at LANs but that is a bit extreme. Looks really cool though.
It is amazing what's being done and the potential there is for us down the road.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top