4tb 105 Bucks

Are those I wonder pmr or smr?

The revamped Barracuda Pro 8TB and 10TB prices are more than I paid for a 10TB Ironwolf.

It's probably SMR. Those are the only ones I've seen that cheap

To my knowledge, Seagate SMR drives actually start at 5TB. 4TB should be safe.

I used to run lots of the older model Seagate 4TBs, no problems (anecdotal, I know). The 5TBs pissed me off though due to the SMR which at the time Seagate was kind of hiding from the marketing materials.

Deal is back. Newegg and Amazon, $104. Just got one from Amazon. Newegg says sale still has 21 hours left.

What is the RPM on this drive?

It's not in the advertising, the online spec sheet or user manual, the label on the drive....

They are the same drive, the Amazon one is a 3.5" 4tb for $104. The 2.5" 4tb is $184.

I nearly had Microcenter price match this drive yesterday when the guy was simply like, why not spend $10 more dollars and get the Toshiba 4TB 128meg cache 7200rpm high-end drive for $115? So that's what I did.

Due to personal experience and preference, I'd rather have the Seagate over the Toshiba. The greater cache won't mean much.

Exactly zero as a backup drive.

Might be tiny bit faster if you're using it to run your OS.

My point exactly.... Gone are tho days that HDDs are being used for booting OS, ever since SSDs and NVME drives came out.

For a HDD my primary use would be for backup and therefore preference would be space first and then maybe some speed....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back