4pin fan - PWM and power from different sources?

I'm considering using an Arduino Nano microcontroller to control the fans in my system. Trouble with that idea is that the Nano cannot source the current to run the fans.

As long as the DC source for the fans and the PWM signal have the same 0v reference, would it be any problem to feed the fans power needs via molex or even mobo headers, and run the PWM signal to them from the Arduino?

I do it all the time. Use PSU 12v power and ground to fan motor, fan RPM to & PWM signal from motherboard header / aquaero 5 LT fan controller. The only thing that might make a difference is if fan power source and PWM / RPM source/monitor are not using same neutral / ground .. so as long as boht your Arduino and fans are using same power source you will have no problems.

There are all kinds of PWM splitters and hubs that do the same thing.

I do it all the time. Use PSU 12v power and ground to fan motor, fan RPM to & PWM signal from motherboard header / aquaero 5 LT fan controller. The only thing that might make a difference is if fan power source and PWM / RPM source/monitor are not using same neutral / ground .. so as long as boht your Arduino and fans are using same power source you will have no problems.

There are all kinds of PWM splitters and hubs that do the same thing.
Awesome. I can't for the life of me find a fan controller that does what I want, so since I've got a little experience with Arduino and they're USB powered/interfaced, I'm just gonna use one to make my own. Time to start speccing parts! =D

Have you looked at aquaero 5 and 6 series controllers? The LT version is same controller as 5.25" optical drive bay units but for inside case use.
5 LT does not come with heatsink other 5 series have on it's 4 channel analog variable voltage channels, so with lots of fans needs heatsink.
6 series uses digital voltage control so no heat buildup on variable voltage channels .. and 6 has 4 PWM channels and are
If you only need 1 channel PWM aquaero 5 LT is now less than £50 here, heatsink is another 9 and aquaero 6 is about £85. Extremely good controllers that can do almost anything but wash windows. ;)
https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=3092

Have you looked at aquaero 5 and 6 series controllers? The LT version is same controller as 5.25" optical drive bay units but for inside case use.
5 LT does not come with heatsink other 5 series have on it's 4 channel analog variable voltage channels, so with lots of fans needs heatsink.
6 series uses digital voltage control so no heat buildup on variable voltage channels .. and 6 has 4 PWM channels and are
If you only need 1 channel PWM aquaero 5 LT is now less than £50 here, heatsink is another 9 and aquaero 6 is about £85. Extremely good controllers that can do almost anything but wash windows. ;)
https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=3092
I've seen those, but never had much luck discerning their exact capabilities. I want to control 2 PWM channels (intake fans x3 and exhaust fans x3) based on the temperature of a single thermocouple input (coolant temperature) on a custom curve. You seem pretty familiar with those controllers: can you tell me which one would be able to do that?

seems like newer motherboards can do that with built in fan headers, one of the bonuses for me upgrading to z270

seems like newer motherboards can do that with built in fan headers, one of the bonuses for me upgrading to z270
Some motherboards can, but mine can't. No thermocouple inputs. Plus, even on the mobos where I've seen them, the thermocouple inputs are scaled for air cooling - something like 20°c to 60°c - and don't have the input resolution for smooth fan speed control according to coolant temperature.

I've seen those, but never had much luck discerning their exact capabilities. I want to control 2 PWM channels (intake fans x3 and exhaust fans x3) based on the temperature of a single thermocouple input (coolant temperature) on a custom curve. You seem pretty familiar with those controllers: can you tell me which one would be able to do that?

What Speedeu4ia said.

I only know a little about aquaero fan controllers. I got mine just before I quit using custom loops and moved back to air cooling, and on my older otherboards it was great to be able to monitor air temps different places, set multiple temp to rpm curves for different components, etc. There are all kinds of accessories, sensors, poweradjust, etc. .. and the software is easy to use too.
https://shop.aquacomputer.de/index.php?cPath=62_690
Aquacomputer has an aquaero forum .. and most other computer forums have aquaero group forums too.

I hate to admit it, but I haven't used mine in a few years now except for it's PWM control for testing fans.

Some motherboards can, but mine can't. No thermocouple inputs. Plus, even on the mobos where I've seen them, the thermocouple inputs are scaled for air cooling - something like 20°c to 60°c - and don't have the input resolution for smooth fan speed control according to coolant temperature.
Missed the part about thermalcouple.

Maybe give a bit more about your cooling setup so maybe someone who has similar can share how they handled it

What Speedeu4ia said.

I only know a little about aquaero fan controllers. I got mine just before I quit using custom loops and moved back to air cooling, and on my older otherboards it was great to be able to monitor air temps different places, set multiple temp to rpm curves for different components, etc. There are all kinds of accessories, sensors, poweradjust, etc. .. and the software is easy to use too.
https://shop.aquacomputer.de/index.php?cPath=62_690
Aquacomputer has an aquaero forum .. and most other computer forums have aquaero group forums too.

I hate to admit it, but I haven't used mine in a few years now except for it's PWM control for testing fans.
The more I look at it, the more I think it'll fit the bill. I was unaware that the LT version was displayless, that looks awesome.

Missed the part about thermalcouple.

Maybe give a bit more about your cooling setup so maybe someone who has similar can share how they handled it

Well, my setup is pretty simple at the moment. Three case intake fans, three case exhaust / radiator fans, one DDC310 pump.

I want to be able to control fan / pump speed based on coolant temperature. It looks like the Aqauero will let me do that. It's a good deal more expensive than my Arduino based solution, but will require a lot less custom wiring.

The more I look at it, the more I think it'll fit the bill. I was unaware that the LT version was displayless, that looks awesome.

Well, my setup is pretty simple at the moment. Three case intake fans, three case exhaust / radiator fans, one DDC310 pump.
Yeah, main difference better LT and others is 5.25" panel. But to really use all the feature requires using mouse, keyboard and monitor to use software. Honestly I never used the front panel on my 5 Pro USB .. or the remote control .. mostly small window in taskbar on monitor and keyboard and/or mouse.

Both aquaero 5 LT and 6 LT are great. When aquaero 5 came out PWM was rather new. New aquaero 6 is is basically just newer upgraded version of 5 with more PWM channels and digital instead of analog variable voltage control.

Maybe a little on the expensive side and more features / functions than needed, but the user interface is easy and will never run up against something we need that it can't do. ;)

Yeah, main difference better LT and others is 5.25" panel. But to really use all the feature requires using mouse, keyboard and monitor to use software. Honestly I never used the front panel on my 5 Pro USB .. or the remote control .. mostly small window in taskbar on monitor and keyboard and/or mouse.

Both aquaero 5 LT and 6 LT are great. When aquaero 5 came out PWM was rather new. New aquaero 6 is is basically just newer upgraded version of 5 with more PWM channels and digital instead of analog variable voltage control.

Maybe a little on the expensive side and more features / functions than needed, but the user interface is easy and will never run up against something we need that it can't do. ;)
Yeah, it's pricey for a fan controller, but for the capability it has and for the fact that it will likely migrate from build to build... looks like maybe it's worth it.

Yeah, it's pricey for a fan controller, but for the capability it has and for the fact that it will likely migrate from build to build... looks like maybe it's worth it.
I think it is. If I was buying one today I would get the 6 LT. Biggest reasons are 4x PWM channels (more than 1 is needed with PWM fans) and digital variable voltage (no heat buildup when running fans on low voltage for low speed.)

You can download the manual. It explains basics pretty well.
http://aquacomputer.de/tl_files/aquacomputer/downloads/manuals/aquaero_5_6_en_2014_04_14.pdf

you can dowload aquasuite here
https://aquacomputer.de/software.html

Lots of info on different forums, etc. If you google you should be able to find them.

Last edited:
Back