4k resolution VS Ultrawide resolution

Mcklain

Limp Gawd
Ok newbie question here.

I am currently debating between getting a 21:9 Ultra wide screen 34'' 3440x1440p and a 16:9 4K 28'' 3840x2160p.

The question I am asking myself is wich screen is gonna give me the most viewing on each sides?

I always thought that even if the 28'' screen is smaller I would see wider on each side since the resolution is higher. (Hence watching a movie in 1080p on a 55'' vs 1080p on a 32'', I will see the same thing on screen since it's same resolution).

But when I look at these pics here, it seems the 21:9 is the clear winner here even if it's resolution is smaller.

4k (16:9)
http://www.wsgf.org/f/u/contrib/dr/28249/ingame_4k.jpg

21:9:
http://www.wsgf.org/f/u/contrib/dr/28249/ingame_21x9.jpg

16:9:
http://www.wsgf.org/f/u/contrib/dr/28249/ingame_16x9.jpg

Are those pics a good indicator (accurate)?

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Looks about right, which is why my next monitor is going to be 21:9 34". In fact, I'm not sure why anyone would choose a smaller 4K monitor.

Looks about right, which is why my next monitor is going to be 21:9 34". In fact, I'm not sure why anyone would choose a smaller 4K monitor.

Every game scale differently, 4k has a lot more pixel than 21:9 1440p.

If every game worked perfectly in 21:9 then I would choose that.

This.

Some games do not support 21:9, you posted pictures of WoW and I understand that many WoW players also play Diablo3. D3 does not natively support 21:9 so if you also play it, the LG monitor may not be for you.

However, games that aren't supported still look and play great on it, you just lose the extra wide aspect. Also, myself and many others here feel that 4k isn't really worth it on smaller monitors (sub 40“).

That said, I would prefer the LG ultra wide in pretty much every scenario unless you are in need of a non IPS and higher refresh rate for fps gaming.

Just purchased the LG 29UM65 earlier tonight via Best Buy. Damn, this monitor is a monster, absolutely incredible colors and clarity. I wanted the 2560x1080 version, I liked the pixel density of the 29-inch version, more so than the 34. I have my PS4 hooked to it and I'm exceptionally impressed, was going to get the curved 34-inch version, though just don't see the value in spending $1,300 on it, next year it will be less than half of that price, bought my unit for $392, I was also lucky to get one with no backlight bleed as well, supposedly that's been an issue with these ultra wide monitors.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys.

Yeah I was looking into getting back in WOW for the x number of time due to the expansion comming out soon hence the pics.

So if we compare games that support natively 3440x1440 and also 4k resolution, we will always see wider on the 21:9.

If that is so, will seriously consider a 21:9 monitor.

I have a 34UM95 and it's one of the best monitors that I have ever owned. I'm lucky because all the games that I generally play work on this aspect ratio. The colors are quite vibrant. 4k is very nice however most of the affordable 4k monitors are TN panels and the colors appear washed out IMO.

3840x2160 has 67% more total pixels than 3440x1440. I recommend a 32" 2160p. If you want to make the 4K monitor ultrawide, just use black bars to set it to 3440x1440.

3840x2160 has 67% more total pixels than 3440x1440. I recommend a 32" 2160p. If you want to make the 4K monitor ultrawide, just use black bars to set it to 3440x1440.

That's not how aspect ratio works.

I advise sticking with whatever you have now, and getting good big (at least 39") 4K in a year or two, skipping 34" 21:9. Current 4K offerings suck, ultrawide 34" may cause lot of problems in classic games.

I advise sticking with whatever you have now, and getting good big (at least 39") 4K in a year or two, skipping 34" 21:9. Current 4K offerings suck, ultrawide 34" may cause lot of problems in classic games.

How's that? I understand if you're talking about the AOC equivalent (no scaler AFAIK, but I forget since I only like its stand :p), but UM3495 and the various curved versions all have an internal scaler, and because of this already support 2560x1440 16:9 without issue....

Moreover, it supports any other resolution a 16:9 monitor would with its scaler, so I fail to see how it would cause a "lot" of problems if any.

It's as in: if i pay big bucks for top notch monitor, i don't want wide black bars and usable screen estate worth like some 27" costing less then half of it, even if proportional scaler works fine. I also don't want flattened oval objects in games that i love but which don't support ultra wide res. And even in those very few latest ones, that do support, i don't want to sideglance each time for essential indicator bars/nfo, usually placed near side corners. From games i play only 10% are latest. Rest - relatively old/classic ones (and i somewhat doubt that other gamers play just and only new ones, and launching old ones only in very rare ocasions). i am willing to pay for getting something better but i don't want to pay money for getting enjoyment of fight/hackaround problems by something, if i simply can choose something without them instead. Also even in not games .. why should i miss vertical resolution for desktop/apps/work? In most cases for browsing generic web & forums/reading mail/reading documentation/reading books happens in portrait window shapes. Again pay extra for something that provides vertically same what i can get from 27"? I'd prefer big 16:9 4K where i get improvement on all aspects with no limitations/problems as with 21:9 ones. Just that for now current 4K offering has it's own share of problems/limitations, but i'm certain that it will improve in a year or two, pricing/available size/input options wise (next gen Seiki with supposedly DP 1.3 & HDMI 2.0 sounds promising). In two years also gpus required for 4K at acceptable performance will drop prices. Hence the advise to skip ultrawide ones and stick to current monitor until really worthy products start selling.

Last edited:
Imho it's better illustrated by this: http://www.displaywars.com/27-inch-16x9-vs-34-inch-21x9
- what one gets, is same old 27". Unless in desktop/apps, or in few very latest games. And homepage in browser should be set to wsgf.org to find fixes and workarounds. :)

That is a good site to compare the size difference between 2 different screens.

But my question is more specificly around what I see on screen in WOW (lets say for PVP advantage). I want to be able to see the most things around me on screen using only 1 monitor. 4k resolution on 28'' 16:9, or 3440x1440 on a 34'' 21:9 display?

Last edited:
You can run it with black bars and it's going to be vastly smaller because it does not fit the screen's aspect ratio. It's not ultrawide, it's just a resolution that does not fit properly.

Envision this: http://www.displaywars.com/32-inch-16x9-vs-34-inch-21x9

Except it's going to be small as hell in the middle of your screen.
you said that's not how aspect ratio works and you were flat out wrong. Of course there's going to be black bars but they are not really a problem for me with a 23 inch screen in some games where I want the wider field of view.

Hello Op,
The keywords you are going to be looking for when researching this stuff is hor+ or vert-.

hor+ means that the game has a fixed vertical field of view (FOV) and stretches the horixontal field of view (FOV) to give a wider view.

vert- means that the game has a fixed horizontal field of view (FOV) and stretches the vertical field of view (FOV) to give a taller view.

What you are looking for is hor+. A hor+ game will take a wider screen and fill it with a larger view of the world. From what I am reading online, WOW used to be vert-, but was converted to hor+ starting with lichking. So for WOW you should be good to go.

Most games are generally hor+, but you will find vert- ones once a while. Some games will allow you to adjust the FOV completely manually, in which case none of this hor+ vert- crap matters.

You guys need to stick to the facts and debate the facts alone. When things turn personal, you can count on mod or admin attention and may not be thrilled with the results. Your choice.....

Good points guys. I am really on the fence now too. I placed an order for a 34", but I have a couple of days before it processes. lol.
I really wanted an "affordable" 4k monitor, but all of the affordable ones (<1k for me) lack, SIZE. Are you guys with me that in order to really take advantage of the 4k res, you need size. a 28" 4k monitor is overkill. I have a seiki 39" 4k tv/monitor, and I love that size, but I HATE the 30z, and the tv actually burns out my eyes after staring at it for a few hours. I don't have that problem with LCDs. However, I saw some news that korean panels are coming out soon with 32" sizes for an "affordable" price.
the 34" 21:9 has everything I'm look for (well maybe a little bigger), except I think I'll always be wishing it were 4k, so that I could take advantage of the impending shift to 4k material. It will suck to not be able to view that content natively. Will this monitor even be able to scale it efficiently?
I have a dual 290x setup now, so I think i should be fine in either scenario...
decisions decisions! what do you guys think?

4K is good even on a 22" LCD like the IBM 3840x2400 monitors.

I guess if you have perfect vision. or if you have a great text/image scaler (windows still sucks in that aspect). But if you need to scale, then you are stuck with the real estate of a 22" screen. but that's just my opinion.

I still have bad memories of the transition from 4:3 monitors to 16:10, and then to 16:9 immediately afterward. I still die a little inside every time I fire up an old game for some nostalgic indulgence only to find it stretched out with no easy way to fix it other than crossing my fingers and embarking on an epic google quest.

HSome games will allow you to adjust the FOV completely manually, in which case none of this hor+ vert- crap matters.

In an ideal world this would be the case for all games. Though to be fair, for multiplayer games it might make sense to have a server setting limiting everyone to the same FOV.

I remember seeing some crazy FPS gamers back in the day with massively high FOV settings so that they could see guys coming up behind them.

In an ideal world this would be the case for all games. Though to be fair, for multiplayer games it might make sense to have a server setting limiting everyone to the same FOV.

I remember seeing some crazy FPS gamers back in the day with massively high FOV settings so that they could see guys coming up behind them.

I used to some FOV hacks way back in the days of Clan Arena Quake 3 :D but yea, they have to level the playing field somehow...

I still have bad memories of the transition from 4:3 monitors to 16:10, and then to 16:9 immediately afterward. I still die a little inside every time I fire up an old game for some nostalgic indulgence only to find it stretched out with no easy way to fix it other than crossing my fingers and embarking on an epic google quest.
I believe you can set any customer resolution and aspect ratio you want in the amd/nvidia drivers with black bars. I'm not 100% certain though. I'm usually to lazy to fix it and just let it stretch my games :p

Back