4K Resolution Goodness

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
2FA
Joined
May 18, 1997
Messages
58,540
PC Gamer gives us 2160p new reasons to be looking forward to newer more powerful high end GPUs with the upcoming Project Cars game due in November of this year. Might be time to start figuring out if that new motherboard will support Eyefinity or SLI while allowing good airflow to your new video cards.
Whether that's immersive 3D virtual reality using Oculus Rift or Sony's Project Morpheus, the beauty and clarity of 4K and even 12K visuals, utilizing the raw power of the latest graphics cards, or putting the control in your hands via the latest steering wheels and peripherals, Project CARS provides breathtaking new ways to experience racing that go #BeyondReality.
 
I had an argument with a self proclaimed expert about how the XBone could easily handle 4k resolutions due to its ability to off load processing to the cloud. I simply pointed out that the R9 295X2 was $1500 dollars and could only play a couple of games at high settings with playable FPS.

Seemed to have no affect on the guys stance.
 
I had an argument with a self proclaimed expert about how the XBone could easily handle 4k resolutions due to its ability to off load processing to the cloud. I simply pointed out that the R9 295X2 was $1500 dollars and could only play a couple of games at high settings with playable FPS.

Seemed to have no affect on the guys stance.

You mean "the cloud" won't magically be able to handle the processing needed for millions of Xbones in low latency for gaming? :rolleyes:
 
Can we upgrade the cars?
Since the game covers such a variety of motorsports, each with their own performance restrictions, all vehicles are non-upgradable and come pre-installed with the best parts possible.

This bummed me out. I thought this was suppose to be like Forza or Gran Torismo?
 
4K gaming at 30hz on a LCD? Awww heeeeeell no... LCDs don't look all that fantastic for video games without motion blurring at 60hz, yet alone half that.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some high res, but until HDMI2 is out and 60hz with 120hz/240hz for watching videos is out (or with low enough latency you can leave interpolation on for gaming) its so not appealing.
 
4K gaming at 30hz on a LCD? Awww heeeeeell no... LCDs don't look all that fantastic for video games without motion blurring at 60hz, yet alone half that.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some high res, but until HDMI2 is out and 60hz with 120hz/240hz for watching videos is out (or with low enough latency you can leave interpolation on for gaming) its so not appealing.



I still don't understand the technical reasons why we are deadlocked at refresh rates. The only thing I can think of is the cabling not supporting the bandwidth for higher refresh rates on Monitors and TV's. I can't see any possible technical reason why we couldn't have a 120Hz 4K display right now.

You'd figure every LCD Monitor made in the past 5 years would be nothing but 120Hz to push the industry forward instead of them hiding behind this, "Bah the consumer doesn't want it" crap. You mean they aren't going to pay a hundred dollars more for more Hz like they did with the TV scam?
 
4K gaming at 30hz on a LCD? Awww heeeeeell no... LCDs don't look all that fantastic for video games without motion blurring at 60hz, yet alone half that.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some high res, but until HDMI2 is out and 60hz with 120hz/240hz for watching videos is out (or with low enough latency you can leave interpolation on for gaming) its so not appealing.

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ID2HJL0/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

4k@60hz & HDMI2. Good luck on the 120hz requirement tho unless you meant 1080p.

I can do 4k@60hz with DP on my current monitor (Asus PQ321Q).
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I had an argument with a self proclaimed expert about how the XBone could easily handle 4k resolutions due to its ability to off load processing to the cloud. I simply pointed out that the R9 295X2 was $1500 dollars and could only play a couple of games at high settings with playable FPS.

Seemed to have no affect on the guys stance.

Good gosh--those poor, demented people. Microsoft deserved its comeuppance for all of the launch-lying they did about the lower mid-range PC it calls xBone, but I'm surprised to hear that this nonsense about "cloud processing" is still being circulated. Unbelievable. People will believe just about anything, won't they? (AKA Global Warming, etc.) Microsoft can see these people coming from a mile away. :rolleyes:
 
@ Liger88, yes HDMI 1 can't handle more than 30hz at 4K due to bandwidth limitations, but HDMI 2 can. Displayport can too.

@ Sufu, I wasn't expecting it to accept 120hz or 240hz, just hoping onboard processing could either do your run-of-the-mill interpolation, or at least the fake 240hz blank frame strobing which seems to clean up the motion either way. So for now, I'm planning to wait.

I know a LOT of people are jumping on those $500 4K TV sets that are out, but I think its going to harm the industry as people will see them in the store with tremendous clarity using some barely moving scenery shot, then bring it home to watch some soccer fruits tickle each other on the field and maybe score by accident once, and be gravely disappointed with the ghosting/smudge and consider 4K a gimmic. Plus, I hear netflix is offering 4K, but its at such a low bitrate that it looks crappier than 1080p Blurays.
 
Plus, I hear netflix is offering 4K, but its at such a low bitrate that it looks crappier than 1080p Blurays.
Netflix is using H.265, which even at 15mbps on 4k looks better than a Blu-ray. VP9 that google is pushing is the same way. If you haven't checked it out, you should before bashing it, especially if you have a >1080p display.
Also, as others pointed out but people keep ignoring, HDMI 2.0 is out now. You can do 4k at 60hz through it OR display port (which could handle it before).
 
Want to know the problem with 4K? It merely exists to maximize the potential of a (large) display rather than improve the quality of content.
 
Netflix is using H.265, which even at 15mbps on 4k looks better than a Blu-ray. VP9 that google is pushing is the same way. If you haven't checked it out, you should before bashing it, especially if you have a >1080p display.
Also, as others pointed out but people keep ignoring, HDMI 2.0 is out now. You can do 4k at 60hz through it OR display port (which could handle it before).

H.265 in practical use, offers about 40% better compression.

At the same bitrates, an H.265 encode should look better than a good blu-ray.

15mbps peak is less than half the peak bitrate of a good blu-ray and with that many pixels-----not enough to do away with banding and other issues in dark scenes. But in well lit, slow paced scenes, it makes a good impression.

The general consensus is that the better blu-rays are still better, because they have the raw bitrate to support dark scenes and really busy and/or fast paced scenes.

You also need to have an capable internet connection. Many still do not.
 
Cool game and all, but I can't play car racing sims. The lack of acceleration forces kill it for me.
 
Good gosh--those poor, demented people. Microsoft deserved its comeuppance for all of the launch-lying they did about the lower mid-range PC it calls xBone, but I'm surprised to hear that this nonsense about "cloud processing" is still being circulated. Unbelievable. People will believe just about anything, won't they? (AKA Global Warming, etc.) Microsoft can see these people coming from a mile away. :rolleyes:

Queue Eff Tee. So true. Also, loving my 60hz ips 4k monitor.
 
Meh, so what's so news worthy of 4K support?

PC games have supported any resolution since forever... graphics cards capable of pushing ultra quality at high resolutions... not so much.

Tell the guys running five 2560 x 1600 30" monitors that 4K games are "about to be released" and they'll laugh at you since they've been running a higher resolutions for years already.
 
Meh, so what's so news worthy of 4K support?

PC games have supported any resolution since forever... graphics cards capable of pushing ultra quality at high resolutions... not so much.

Tell the guys running five 2560 x 1600 30" monitors that 4K games are "about to be released" and they'll laugh at you since they've been running a higher resolutions for years already.

Lol, yeah I always laughed at exclamations of "1080p is coming!!!!!!!!!" when I was running a 2560x1600 monitor at the tail end of 2007. Now running a 4k monitor, multiscreen never appealed to me.
 
Lol, yeah I always laughed at exclamations of "1080p is coming!!!!!!!!!" when I was running a 2560x1600 monitor at the tail end of 2007. Now running a 4k monitor, multiscreen never appealed to me.

Well hell, you can run DOOM at 4K if you want. I think the news here is that there will be texture support for these resolutions.
 
The game looks amazing. I've been playing it for 2 years now and it's just plain fun.
 
I had an argument with a self proclaimed expert about how the XBone could easily handle 4k resolutions due to its ability to off load processing to the cloud. I simply pointed out that the R9 295X2 was $1500 dollars and could only play a couple of games at high settings with playable FPS.

Seemed to have no affect on the guys stance.

Well I mean its technically true.. if you are offloading processing and you have a big enough server farm it could be possible. No whether or it not it will ever happen is completely up to microsoft lol.
 
Well I mean its technically true.. if you are offloading processing and you have a big enough server farm it could be possible. No whether or it not it will ever happen is completely up to microsoft lol.

The latency lag would make it horrible to play any game that way. You'd have a 4k image slide show. Getting something to work on 1 PC/console that is on the same LAN as the server farm and getting it to work on thousands/millions of PCs/consoles spread over different geological regions is a completely different story. If it was truly possible right now it would be done and not talked about.
 
The Cloud may be magic, but that 32 MB of eSRAM is real! As soon as developers learn to use that, we'll have games running at 4k and 60 FPS on XBONE!

:rolleyes:
 
The latency lag would make it horrible to play any game that way. You'd have a 4k image slide show. Getting something to work on 1 PC/console that is on the same LAN as the server farm and getting it to work on thousands/millions of PCs/consoles spread over different geological regions is a completely different story. If it was truly possible right now it would be done and not talked about.

I agree but the technology does exist. Look at things like On Live/Citrix/Remote FX etc.
 
Back
Top