• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4K Gaming build $5000 budget

rinaldo00

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Mar 9, 2005
Messages
2,928
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$5000 total
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
USA, Chicago
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, MB, RAM, GPU
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Power Supply - Power Bird 1100 W
Storage - Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB SSD
Storage - Seagate NAS HDD 4TB
Case HP - Blackbird Full Tower http://sclick.net/cool gadgets/newe...new-cool-PC-computer-gadgets-hp_blackbird.jpg http://www.thebitbag.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/blackbird002.jpg
6) Will you be overclocking?
Probably not
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
4K UHD 3840 x 2160, 48" Samsung JS9000
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Now
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Firewire, SLI, USB 3.0
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit


Proposed build
PC Hound Part List
CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X ($1025.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI X99S XPOWER AC ($338.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ballistix Sport ($149 @ Amazon)
Video Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 Ti GV-N98TD5-6GD-B ($649.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card #2: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 Ti GV-N98TD5-6GD-B ($649.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2,813.95
Price may include shipping, rebates, promotions, and tax
Generated by PC Hound
 
Your proposed build is way overkill and a waste of money for the following reasons:

1) No current game takes anywhere near full advantage of more than four cores and eight threads.

2) The default Turbo speed (with all cores enabled) of the i7-5960X is significantly lower than lesser CPUs with fewer cores and fewer threads. Thus, unless you'll be overclocking the CPU significantly, the i7-5960X will be quite a bit slower in performance with current games than a much lesser i5 quad-core CPU.

3) Although 16GB total of RAM will more than suffice for a gaming build, installing two very-high-end GPUs in SLI will require more RAM than 16GB because otherwise, the system's performance will be thrown off balance. Thus, if you are going to go with two GTX 980s or 980 Tis in SLI or a dual-GPU configuration, I'd recommend 32GB or more total RAM.

4) I cannot recommend reusing your old 1100W PSU because of the fact that even good-quality PSUs degrade in output over several years (The Topower Power Bird 1100W dates all the way back to 2008). Moreover, Topower has not been renowned for great-quality PSUs to begin with. So, factor in the cost of a new PSU in your build.
 
Last edited:
Why then are so many people using the i7-5960X? I have seen it used on game review sites. Besides Win 10 should make better use of multiple cores, no?

Also I replaced the PSU last fall, less than 1 year ago. I just bought the same PSU that came with the pre-build I bought.
 
Last edited:
I also think the 5960x is overkill for gaming, but if you work on a lot of photoshop etc.. (panoramas anyone) then having a 5960x is useful.
The biggest issue I see is the ram.
While 16GB is OK for now, the fact you are only using 2 dimms on an X99 system is going to be a big hindrance.
You need at least 4 dimms to effectively use the x99 chipset, so just go ahead and double up the ram to 32gb (8gbx4) and you will be good.

Other than that, you should be fine.
I like the recent batches of AIO watercooling solutions so if you have the desire, maybe take a look at the latest coolermaster AIO's that will fit in your case.

D.
 
Why then are so many people using the i7-5960X? I have seen it used on game review sites.
A few reasons:
1) E-Peen
2) E-Peen
3) A feeble stupid attempt at "future-proofing"
4) Discounted or freebie from Intel direct.
5) Legitimate non-gaming uses such as video editing, virtual machines, 3D rendering, audio editing, etc.
6) E-Peen
7) They think they're going to do a quad-SLI setup one day.
8) They're planning on running multiple MMORPG game clients at the same time for multi-boxing efforts.

You'll be fine with the Core i7 5820K CPU. It's actually going to be faster than the 5960X in current and foreseeable games.
Besides Win 10 should make better use of multiple cores, no?
It's not just the OS: It's still the programs themselves that needs to be updated/improved with multi-core support.

Also I replaced the PSU last fall, less than 1 year ago. I just bought the same PSU that came with the pre-build I bought.
I still would recommend getting a new PSU. It's not good enough for your planned setup. As E4g1e said, even brand new it wasn't that good of a PSU. Considering that you have a $5000 budget, a new PSU isn't exactly a major hindrance in your plans. I recommend this PSU as a replacement:
$198 - EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 1300W Modular PSU

If you're wondering what the quality and performance difference is like: Your Power Bird 1100 is a Vespa scooter compared to eVGA 1300 G2's Lamborghini.

I agree with the others that you should double up to 32GB of RAM.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Funny, my first test build had 32 GB ram and then I saw people on other sites claiming it was overkill - lol

Ok. new build coming up. BTW Is it worth waiting for AIB 980 ti? I was looking at the MSI 980 ti gaming
 
NEW BUILD

PC Hound Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K ($379.99 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: MSI X99S XPOWER AC ($384.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.SKILL 32GB (4 x 8GB) Ripjaws 4 series ($246.49 @ Newegg)
Video Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 Ti GV-N98TD5-6GD-B ($659.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card #2: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 Ti GV-N98TD5-6GD-B ($659.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 1300W SuperNOVA 1300 G2 120-G2-1300-XR ($177.04 @ Newegg)
Total: $2,508.47
Price may include shipping, rebates, promotions, and tax
Generated by PC Hound
 
Looks good dude!

Yeah, the only reason I stopped in this thread wwas I was puzzled: if your budget is $5000, what exactly were you going to spend the other $2500 on?

You don't need to spend that much to game at 4k :D
 
LOL

I just wanted it to be clear that price was not an issue. I thought if I put 'unlimited' for my budget it would get insults ;)
 
OK, related question.

I'm a little nervous building such an expensive rig on my own. Does anyone know a service that builds PCs for a fee? I'm in Chicago.
 
Rinaldo00,

If you're nervous about putting this baby together alone, shoot me a PM.
I'm in the Chicago area and have zero issues with helping you on the build.

And, if we let the smoke you, you can blame me and try to kick my ass.

Also, BUY YOUR CPU LOCALLY. There are two MicroCenters in the Chicagoland area. One downtown-ish. One in Westmont.

The 5820K is $300 at MicroCenter. Price may be no option, but why spend more than you have to?
 
You could always buy it from a PC boutique like MainGear or Puget Systems. Of course, doing so means getting closer to your $4000 budget and possibly not being able to reuse your case.

Besides that, you might have to look up any local small business that does it for you.
 
You could always buy it from a PC boutique like MainGear or Puget Systems. Of course, doing so means getting closer to your $4000 budget and possibly not being able to reuse your case.

Besides that, you might have to look up any local small business that does it for you.

I really love the look of my case so I was hoping I could keep it. A few months ago I asked Puget Systems about using my case for a build and they declined, saying 'we are not familiar enough with cases not listed in our builds and do not know about airflow/cooling issues' I thought about trying them again and offering a 10% extra build fee ;)
 
Rinaldo00,

If you're nervous about putting this baby together alone, shoot me a PM.
I'm in the Chicago area and have zero issues with helping you on the build.

And, if we let the smoke you, you can blame me and try to kick my ass.

Also, BUY YOUR CPU LOCALLY. There are two MicroCenters in the Chicagoland area. One downtown-ish. One in Westmont.

The 5820K is $300 at MicroCenter. Price may be no option, but why spend more than you have to?

Hey your offer sounds tempting! I'll let you know!
 
You should really try to put it together your self. There are millions of youtube videos on the subject. It is really not difficult, yet incredibly satisfying to build your own computer.

NewEgg has a decent series to get you started:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIF43-0mDk4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zAdwedmj1M

They ahve a table of contents that you can click through to the parts that you are uneasy about.

Also, i'm not familiar with that case, but if it has great airflow, then you may want to consider grabbing the aftermarkter cooler version. Seems like the two i've seen reviewed (EVGA ACX and Gigabyte Winforce) perform very nice. The 980ti reference does get a tab bit warm.

Lastly, the 5820k doesn't come with a cooler. You'll need to grab one. With your budget, I would grab a nice All in one cooler or if you perfer to stay awayu from that, then a evo 212
 
Triple displays goes a long way for a dedicated gaming rig and is well within your budget. Throw in a 3rd gpu and you're good to go.
 
If you buy 32GB of RAM, you will need to buy Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, or Windows 8.1, or use Windows 10 Previews.

Home Premium x64 has a limit of 16GB of RAM.
 
If you buy 32GB of RAM, you will need to buy Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, or Windows 8.1, or use Windows 10 Previews.

Home Premium x64 has a limit of 16GB of RAM.

Ah thanks, well I was planning on upgrading to Windows 10 next month anyway ;)
 
Which motherboard should I get?

MSI X99S Gaming 9 ACK vs MSI X99S XPOWER AC

my local microcenter only has the X99S Gaming 7, is that good enough?

They look nearly identical, just a difference in number of PCIe 3.0 slots 4, 5. or 6 and RAID which I don't use.
 
Hey I would also recommend you build this yourself, BUT.. no reason why you can't invite Chas to come over, and look over and give you some advice along the way.

I always share this video of my that shows a picture timeline of me "guiding" my kids doing a build to help remove the fear of doing a build.
 
A few reasons:
1) E-Peen
2) E-Peen
3) A feeble stupid attempt at "future-proofing"
4) Discounted or freebie from Intel direct.
5) Legitimate non-gaming uses such as video editing, virtual machines, 3D rendering, audio editing, etc.
6) E-Peen
7) They think they're going to do a quad-SLI setup one day.
8) They're planning on running multiple MMORPG game clients at the same time for multi-boxing efforts.

I LOVE E-Peen!!!

Mind you, I do agree, that if it is a gaming only rig, 6 cores is more than enough.
 
In for 2 of these to replace what is in my SIG.

Any thoughts?

http://www.galaxstore.net/GALAX-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-HOF-6GB-p/98irh5dhf7hf.htm
GALAX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti HOF
Our Price: $699.99
For cards that expensive, I'd go with eVGA on account of their great customer support.
Which motherboard should I get?

MSI X99S Gaming 9 ACK vs MSI X99S XPOWER AC

my local microcenter only has the X99S Gaming 7, is that good enough?

They look nearly identical, just a difference in number of PCIe 3.0 slots 4, 5. or 6 and RAID which I don't use.
The X99S Gaming 7 appears to be a solid enough motherboard. My only gripe with that motherboard is the location of one of the fan connectors: It's right next to the RAM slots so a person with relatively thick fingers could potentially snap off some RAM when you plug-in the rear fan to that fan connector. Personally, I'd go for the Asus X99-A. It's cheaper yet just as good as the Gaming 7.
Hey I would also recommend you build this yourself, BUT.. no reason why you can't invite Chas to come over, and look over and give you some advice along the way.
A six-pack of beer always sweetens the deal....
I always share this video of my that shows a picture timeline of me "guiding" my kids doing a build to help remove the fear of doing a build.
How dare you be a good father! ;D
I LOVE E-Peen!!!

Mind you, I do agree, that if it is a gaming only rig, 6 cores is more than enough.
Who doesn't love E-PEEN? :D

Personally I'm waiting to see how Star Citizen shakes out as it seems to be one of the only games I can tell where a hex-core Intel CPU might be a good idea.
 
For cards that expensive, I'd go with eVGA on account of their great customer support.
Of course I am grateful for your advice and I took all of it so far but I decided to go on a limb on this one. I have two Galaxy 4GB 680s in SLI right now and the performance and support has been fantastic. I already ordered 2. I love that Factory overclocked to 1291 MHz ;)
The X99S Gaming 7 appears to be a solid enough motherboard. My only gripe with that motherboard is the location of one of the fan connectors: It's right next to the RAM slots so a person with relatively thick fingers could potentially snap off some RAM when you plug-in the rear fan to that fan connector. Personally, I'd go for the Asus X99-A. It's cheaper yet just as good as the Gaming 7.
This is great advice! That white Asus board will look great with the white Galax HOF cards ;)
Should I upgrade to the Asus X99 Deluxe? Microcenter has a combo deal with the i7-5820K for $659.98
http://www.microcenter.com/product/437553/X99_Deluxe_LGA_2011-3_ATX_Intel_Motherboard
 
Of course I am grateful for your advice and I took all of it so far but I decided to go on a limb on this one. I have two Galaxy 4GB 680s in SLI right now and the performance and support has been fantastic. I already ordered 2. I love that Factory overclocked to 1291 MHz ;)

This is great advice! That white Asus board will look great with the white Galax HOF cards ;)
Should I upgrade to the Asus X99 Deluxe? Microcenter has a combo deal with the i7-5820K for $659.98
http://www.microcenter.com/product/437553/X99_Deluxe_LGA_2011-3_ATX_Intel_Motherboard
No. The Deluxe has some major teething issues.
 
I have decided to make a few changes to my build, here are the reasons why.

1. GPU - Galax cancelled my order because they cannot ship to IL due to tax issuses. Since I am not very good at overclocking I decided to get the card with the highest factory OC. That is the ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP Extreme, 1,253MHz/1,355MHz base/boost, memory 7,220MHz

2. Motherboard - I keep reading about horror stories about ASUS and RMAs. I decided to go with MSI.

3. PSU - My case has a plug and play HD bay and it is powered by a custom daughterboard. Last time I tried to replace my PSU with a Corsair and after talking to the Corsair tech support I thought I had the PSU connected properly but I fried an HD. If I experience any issues I can replace it later.

4. SSD - I am giving my brother my old Samsung SSD so I thought I would upgrade that too.

I am listing my build this way because the parts are already in my cart just waiting to buy. I wanted to buy from as few sellers as possible to make returns easier,

Microcenter
Motherboard + CPU bundle MSI X99S GAMING 7 + i7-5820K
--------------
$527.98

B&H
GPU ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP Extreme 699.95 X 2
RAM Crucial Ballistix Sport 32 GB (4x8 GB) DDR4 PC4-19200 269.99
SSD Intel 400GB 750 Series HHHL PCIe 3.0 x4 NVM Express 379
DVD LG GS40N SATA Internal DVD Writer 34.99
CPU cooller EVO 212 33.99
---------------------------
$2,117.87

TOTAL PRICE $2679.84

Should I pull the trigger?
 
Can I have the other half of your budget? Please?
 
I have decided to make a few changes to my build, here are the reasons why.

1. GPU - Galax cancelled my order because they cannot ship to IL due to tax issuses. Since I am not very good at overclocking I decided to get the card with the highest factory OC. That is the ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP Extreme, 1,253MHz/1,355MHz base/boost, memory 7,220MHz

2. Motherboard - I keep reading about horror stories about ASUS and RMAs. I decided to go with MSI.

3. PSU - My case has a plug and play HD bay and it is powered by a custom daughterboard. Last time I tried to replace my PSU with a Corsair and after talking to the Corsair tech support I thought I had the PSU connected properly but I fried an HD. If I experience any issues I can replace it later.

4. SSD - I am giving my brother my old Samsung SSD so I thought I would upgrade that too.

I am listing my build this way because the parts are already in my cart just waiting to buy. I wanted to buy from as few sellers as possible to make returns easier,

Microcenter
Motherboard + CPU bundle MSI X99S GAMING 7 + i7-5820K
--------------
$527.98

B&H
GPU ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP Extreme 699.95 X 2
RAM Crucial Ballistix Sport 32 GB (4x8 GB) DDR4 PC4-19200 269.99
SSD Intel 400GB 750 Series HHHL PCIe 3.0 x4 NVM Express 379
DVD LG GS40N SATA Internal DVD Writer 34.99
CPU cooller EVO 212 33.99
---------------------------
$2,117.87

TOTAL PRICE $2679.84

Should I pull the trigger?

No for the following reasons:

1) If you're worried about Asus' RMA issues, then you're really not going to want to go with Zotac considering that they don't have a track record for good customer support here in the United States. If RMA and customer support is really important to you, go for a card from MSI, Gigabyte, or eVGA.

2) Despite your experience, I still would recommend a replacement PSU. Unless that daughterboard uses a specific custom only power connector found only on that PSU, I'd highly recommend replacing it due to its age and quality. You're about to spend $1400 on some of the highest end cards out there and you want to cheap out on the PSU?
 
1) If you're worried about Asus' RMA issues, then you're really not going to want to go with Zotac considering that they don't have a track record for good customer support here in the United States. If RMA and customer support is really important to you, go for a card from MSI, Gigabyte, or eVGA
Well, I hear a lot of the Gigabyte cards have coil whine and the MSI cards don't OC well. I'm sold on trying the Zotac. So what motherboard would you recommend?
2) Despite your experience, I still would recommend a replacement PSU. Unless that daughterboard uses a specific custom only power connector found only on that PSU, I'd highly recommend replacing it due to its age and quality. You're about to spend $1400 on some of the highest end cards out there and you want to cheap out on the PSU?

I thought all modular PSUs had the same outputs if the cables matched, turns out they don't. How did you get the impression I want to cheap out on a PSU? Did you miss the part where I said I tried to replace the PSU before with a Corsair and blew out my HD despite a Corsair tech rep talking me through the connections? (spark flew out) That is why I just bought a new, exact same, Top Power PSU. I will have to do more research to find out how to power that daughterboard.

PS Is it worth upgrading to a i7-5930K for the extra PCIE lanes since I am going SLI?
 
Well, I hear a lot of the Gigabyte cards have coil whine and the MSI cards don't OC well. I'm sold on trying the Zotac. So what motherboard would you recommend?
Does it really really matter how much the video card can overclock? Have you actually looked the actual performance differences brought about by the overclocked cards? You also didn't mention eVGA there. Still not seeing a good reason to get Zotac: Questionable customer support as well as possible questionable build quality judging from my experiences with their motherboards.

As for motherboard, I've already said what I needed to say about the Gaming 7. There is also the ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer Motherboard to heck out.
I thought all modular PSUs had the same outputs if the cables matched, turns out they don't. How did you get the impression I want to cheap out on a PSU? Did you miss the part where I said I tried to replace the PSU before with a Corsair and blew out my HD despite a Corsair tech rep talking me through the connections? (spark flew out) That is why I just bought a new, exact same, Top Power PSU. I will have to do more research to find out how to power that daughterboard.
Because you're trying to reuse a Topower PSU. Topower weren't exactly known for quality. That's why I'm getting the impression that you want to cheap out a PSU. That Corsair tech must've been either incompetent or stupid to not know that modular PSU cables vary from PSU to PSU. Either that or there was a miscommunication there between you and the tech. Either way, I wouldn't let an incompetent or ill-informed tech deter you from getting a better quality PSU.
PS Is it worth upgrading to a i7-5930K for the extra PCIE lanes since I am going SLI?
No, since you live near a Microcenter.
 
Does it really really matter how much the video card can overclock? Have you actually looked the actual performance differences brought about by the overclocked cards? You also didn't mention eVGA there. Still not seeing a good reason to get Zotac: Questionable customer support as well as possible questionable build quality judging from my experiences with their motherboards.
Well with these fatcory OCs I am guarenteed those clocks, clocks that are higher than some other brands can get with manual OCs. From this review
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/84722-zotac-geforce-gtx-980-ti-amp-extreme/
This here beastie runs at 1,253MHz/1,355MHz for base and boost, respectively; figures that are higher than the absolute limit of other cards. The memory, too, sees a boost from 7,010MHz to 7,220MHz. If you ever wanted to sell a product on pure specification alone, the Zotac would be a good bet.
Pushing 4K I want every FPS I can get.

I left out EVGA because what I have to say sounds harsh. I hear often that their customer service is so great because they have to cover for build quality. That and EVGA uses their same soso ACX 2.0 cooler on most of their models.

Because you're trying to reuse a Topower PSU. Topower weren't exactly known for quality. That's why I'm getting the impression that you want to cheap out a PSU. That Corsair tech must've been either incompetent or stupid to not know that modular PSU cables vary from PSU to PSU. Either that or there was a miscommunication there between you and the tech. Either way, I wouldn't let an incompetent or ill-informed tech deter you from getting a better quality PSU.
Yet [H] gave the 900W version of this PSU a gold award (they did like 1100W version less)
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2008/10/07/topower_powerbird_series_power_supplies/8
Considering I am willing to spend over $2,000 on this build I find it amazing that you would think I'm trying to save a lousy $180 instead of assuming I'm afraid of blowing out another HD.
No, since you live near a Microcenter.

How does how my living close to a Microcenter affect what CPU I buy? Microcenter has combos with both, I wondered which is better.
 
Well with these fatcory OCs I am guarenteed those clocks, clocks that are higher than some other brands can get with manual OCs. From this review
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/84722-zotac-geforce-gtx-980-ti-amp-extreme/
That's a triple slot card man. Which means that its cooling it going to be severely impacted due to the PCI-E arrangements on the Gaming 7. In general, you want a full slot worth of space between two cards in SLI/CFX for a better chance at cooling. There's also the issue that your case doesn't seem to have any spare space underneath the motherboard to accommodate the triple slot Zotac.

I left out EVGA because what I have to say sounds harsh. I hear often that their customer service is so great because they have to cover for build quality. That and EVGA uses their same soso ACX 2.0 cooler on most of their models.
I'm pretty sure you can find horror stories of any GPU manufacturer if you look hard enough. Whoever you're listening to more than likely hasn't actually worked with eVGA GPUs. OR at least in the 1000+ quantities like I have.
Yet [H] gave the 900W version of this PSU a gold award (they did like 1100W version less)
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2008/10/07/topower_powerbird_series_power_supplies/8
Considering I am willing to spend over $2,000 on this build I find it amazing that you would think I'm trying to save a lousy $180 instead of assuming I'm afraid of blowing out another HD.
Yet Topower released this crappy 1000W PSU which is the main cause of concern:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/08/30/topower_1000w_gold_power_supply_review/

Now, how old is your PSU? I ask because of this article:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015...1000w_power_supply_7_year_redux/#.VbcZuvlViko

Unfortunately, due to the nature of my job as well as my time here in the forums, I see that exact scenario happen nearly every day: A person is willing to spend $1000+ on a PC but would cheap out on critical parts such as SSD, CPU, GPUs, PSU, or case. So to me, it is not amazing that I would think that you're trying to save $180 on a new PSU considering that I see similar acts nearly every day. Just an everyday occurrence as depressing as that sounds.

How does how my living close to a Microcenter affect what CPU I buy? Microcenter has combos with both, I wondered which is better.
That's my mistake: Looks likes Microcenter has added the 5930K to that list of deal CPU. The answer in that case is if you still have money to burn after accounting for nearly every single part, then yes go for the 5930K as a reward. It'll provide a 5% performance increase over the 5820K. As for PCI-E lanes, that's still up in the air whether or not 980TI SLI requires 40 PCI-0E lanes or 28 PCI-E Lanes. It's also determined by motherboard too.
 
Last edited:
Unfortunately, due to the nature of my job as well as my time here in the forums, I see that exact scenario happen nearly every day: A person is willing to spend $1000+ on a PC but would cheap out on critical parts such as SSD, CPU, GPUs, PSU, or case. So to me, it is not amazing that I would think that you're trying to save $180 on a new PSU considering that I see similar acts nearly every day. Just an everyday occurrence as depressing as that sounds.
I see, but I did give a valid reason for my hesitation in replacing it. I didn't come across by saying 'Yeah I just bought this PSU so I bet it is good enough. Just for info I bought it last Sept.
That's my mistake: Looks likes Microcenter has added the 5930K to that list of deal CPU. The answer in that case is if you still have money to burn after accounting for nearly every single part, then yes go for the 5930K as a reward. It'll provide a 5% performance increase over the 5820K. The extra PCI-E lanes don't really matter unless you're going tri-SLI.

Thanks
 
I see, but I did give a valid reason for my hesitation in replacing it. I didn't come across by saying 'Yeah I just bought this PSU so I bet it is good enough. Just for info I bought it last Sept.
I'm still leery of that PSU but it's your system, not mine, at the end of the day.

Also, see my edits on the Zotac card: If you're serious about it, you're going to have to look at a different motherboard than the Gaming 7.
 
Back
Top