4K Display at [H] Video Card Testing Lab

I know this has no bearing on benchmarking since vsync isn't used while testing GPUs, but does that screen do 60hz via DP? How are you liking it? Just curious.

I can't wait for 4k to become the norm in a few years. I love higher resolution screens. That said, I definitely would consider 30hz to be a non-starter. I do think some 4k screens are 60hz while others aren't.

Very cool that [H] has a 4K display to test. To bad that thing's MSRP is $5250....it will be a long time before I can afford one.

I know this has no bearing on benchmarking since vsync isn't used while testing GPUs, but does that screen do 60hz via DP? How are you liking it? Just curious.

I can't wait for 4k to become the norm in a few years. I love higher resolution screens. That said, I definitely would consider 30hz to be a non-starter. I do think some 4k screens are 60hz while others aren't.

Single DP, 60Hz

You could have at least thrown some 4K [H]-logo or Denise Milani wallpaper on that thing for the glamour shot, guys. :) But seriously--this should make for some interesting benching, if a bit more work for y'all...

Which colorimeter and oscilloscope will be used? There are plenty of 4k benchmarks but no reviews which tackle the Sharps pixel response times, LED PWM Dimming tests and pre+post calibration results.

[H]'s review, from what I know, won't be about the monitor. It'll be about new and existing video card performance under 4K and other resolutions. If [H] does decide to post a review about the monitor then it will be in a separate article. I could be entirely off-base with my assumption. We'll see... ;)

Which colorimeter and oscilloscope will be used? There are plenty of 4k benchmarks but no reviews which tackle the Sharps pixel response times, LED PWM Dimming tests and pre+post calibration results.

Yeah, academically interesting but this shiz won;t be real for another 3 or 4 years for me. Love to have one oh and tri SLI 780s or whatever is required to run it too!

Nope. Lame. If you were really [H]ard you'd have three in Eyefinity/Surround to show us. :D

I know, which is why they should send it to me after and buy/loan me an oscilloscope.

Manufacturers like Asus can go fuck themselves for thinking is ok to use LED PWM Dimming in 3,500$+ monitors.

Prad.de rated the Asus monitor at an incredibly bad 120 Hz PWM. Now I don't know if it's directly Asus's fault as these panels most likely come with the backlight designed like that from Sharp, the panel OEM.

I do find it sad that one of the most expensive panels out there uses one of the worst and cheapest methods of backlight control.

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2013/test-asus-pq321q-teil10.html#Backlight

One of the major reasons I never bothered with this panel. PWM should be eliminated from all displays. So should heavy AR film.

Respectfully, why would Brent be concerned about this? I appreciate such details with displays, but he is only benchmarking video cards. I really think such details would be better left to those who specialize in such matters as opposed to a gaming / PC hardware website. TFTcentral perhaps.

Respectfully, why would Brent be concerned about this? I appreciate such details with displays, but he is only benchmarking video cards. I really think such details would be better left to those who specialize in such matters as opposed to a gaming / PC hardware website. TFT Central perhaps.

Because there are 5,000 other 4k tests, plenty of Asus reviews but no Sharp reviews. Why not separate oneself from other sites instead of offering content those who are interested have already seen 100 times?

The Asus 4K monitors pixel response times, lag, black levels and colors are inferior to the 300$ Qnix...Aside from not being able to afford one (Asus=3-4 months of pay), the fact that the Asus 4K monitor is embarrassed by the 300$ Qnix would prevent me from buying one if I could afford it.

Curious, was this acquisition brought about through a requirement driven by the 290x emargo restrictions? :)

99% of games support it, it's just another 16:9 resolution. Doesn't require any specialized support.

Yep. No problems with support. 21:9 on the other hand has some issues in terms of support (eg 2560x1080) but 16:9/16:10 will never be a problem. Unless you're playing a game from 2003 or something.

Maybe because you already took the boxes inside your home and are in the process of testing the contents? :p

For the love of GOD, what will it take to get you to properly use the QUOTE function?:confused::confused: A cookie? 10? C'mon man, let's talk here:p...

Awesome, I'll be following this. 4K is definitely my next monitor upgrade, and I have my eye on the Dell 32" 4K that's supposed to be released later this year (although I may not get it until summer).

Waiting a year or so to buy a 4k Monitor.

This is the best idea- everything out right now sucks. It's either a cheap Chinese panel with crappy electronics, or it's a severely overpriced Sharp panel, also with not so great electronics (but at least it can hit 60Hz).

Back