4K 50" Sideways Mount, Multiple Feed?

Weeth

Gawd
For a very special application I want to mount a 4K 50" TV sideways (turned 90 degrees CW or CCW) and then provide at least a double feed so that the top half of the screen would be displaying one feed from a video card and the bottom half would be displaying a completely different feed (it could be from a separate video card if necessary.) Any ideas on how best to accomplish this?

Do you need 4k? Reason I ask is that you would only need that if the info you have on the screen has small text, and that will require the viewer to stand closer to the screen.

Do you need 4k? Reason I ask is that you would only need that if the info you have on the screen has small text, and that will require the viewer to stand closer to the screen.

Yup, need 4K for the application. The bottom screen will have someone viewing it from all of about 16 inches away. We can go with Win8.1 if absolutely necessary in order to take advantage of that OS' 4K scaling. I'll set it up so that it will boot directly to desktop so I never have to see that nightmarish puke-inducing Metro crap.

Honestly, the only way I see of doing something like this is having a third computer with some PCI-E HDMI capture cards which could display multiple 1080p streams at once which could be re-aranged on the screen from the computer that just displays the streams while the display is in portrait mode.

I do see input lag being a potential issue with this setup though...

Honestly, the only way I see of doing something like this is having a third computer with some PCI-E HDMI capture cards which could display multiple 1080p streams at once which could be re-aranged on the screen from the computer that just displays the streams while the display is in portrait mode.

I do see input lag being a potential issue with this setup though...

Would it be easier to just set up the vertical display mode with two windows, one taking up the top half and another the bottom, and then running whatever is wanted in each? That way we would run the whole thing off one PC? If so, what is the status of running 4K vertically? Is that something that would be possible in the AMD or Nvidia video software? Sorry for all the questions, but I really gotta figure out how to make this work.

4k will work just fine in portrait mode. If I weren't so claustrophobic with portrait mode, I'd use it esclusively. 3800 pixels of code??? yes please.

Would it be easier to just set up the vertical display mode with two windows, one taking up the top half and another the bottom, and then running whatever is wanted in each? That way we would run the whole thing off one PC? If so, what is the status of running 4K vertically? Is that something that would be possible in the AMD or Nvidia video software? Sorry for all the questions, but I really gotta figure out how to make this work.

wait wait wait.... You originally said that you need to have two 'feeds' going into the display even from a separate video card. Maybe I mis-understood what you were asking by how you said it but if you would need some sort of capture device to have multiple devices outputting to a single 4k display. Now I mentioned a separate system only because I would see potential issues with windows being placed over or under where you have the capture card output which would possibly cause productivity issues (although this depends on your use-case).

Anyway it is no problem to run the display in landscape or portrait mode. My dad actually runs one of his 39 inch seiki's flipped 180 as its turned upside down so the thinner parts of the bezel touch each other. Each is running at 3840x2160:

The only annoying issue with this is eyefinity won't do screen rotation (it will work fine as a single monitor or extended desktop) and that the OSD is upside down on the monitor when going into the menu's and stuff.

You might have to use an external video mixer which does split screen.
Example: http://www.ambery.com/duvgadvipipv.html

the problem with that is the 4k. That is why my suggestion was a computer with HDMI capture cards which would essentially be doing a similar function but support 4k. Good luck finding a similar project that can do that and output to 4k. If they exist they are probably very expensive.

Sorry for the misunderstanding on the dual feeds. The best way to run this monitor would be by just turning it on its side, running it in portrait mode, then having a window that is simply sized to fit at the bottom half to run the video feed conventionally through the PC and then the top part of the monitor which would be used for "desktop" applications. Simplest and easiest way I figure.

Would running 4 1080 monitors in portrait be easier? Have source 1 drive the top 2 and source 2 drive the bottom 2?

Back