• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4k 30"+ single panel for ~$4,000?

Chrisroman

Gawd
Joined
May 29, 2011
Messages
692
I currently use 3x30" monitors (Dell U3011) powered by a single 7970. I'm very interested in replacing this setup with a single 4k display. What do you recommend?

Budget - $4,000
  • I'm assuming I can move the 3xU3011 monitors for ~$750ea (Perfect condition with original boxes and 1 year of warranty remaining)

Ideally, I would like a 40" display, but 30" is absolute minimum.

I game very little, maybe 20% of usage. I'm open to GPU upgrade if needed for overall performance, but gaming performance alone is a low priority right now.

I do want a minimum of 60Hz refresh, I'm not very sensitive to benefits of higher refresh, but I do get headaches at low refresh rates. 60Hz is my minimum.

Strongly prefer single panel setup. I know the very early 4k displays had two panels in a single monitor that effectively acted as an "eyefinity" setup in a single monitor. I would very much like to avoid this if possible, as I do plan to game a bit (more in the future) and I don't want to hassle with multiple monitor issues.
 
You just got to wait until SST card and monitor coming out first. I'm the same boat as you.
 
You just got to wait until SST card and monitor coming out first. I'm the same boat as you.
Is DP 1.2 even capable of handling 4k@60Hz in SST mode? If not, even if they start selling monitors that can push 4k using SST, we'll need new graphics cards with updated ports to actually use them.
 
Why not go 3x 4K? Either the new $1300 Dell 24" or the forthcoming sub-$1000 Dell 28"? There's no need to wait for SST mode monitors. The video drivers automatically sort out the 2-in-1 display issues.
 
Why not go 3x 4K? Either the new $1300 Dell 24" or the forthcoming sub-$1000 Dell 28"? There's no need to wait for SST mode monitors. The video drivers automatically sort out the 2-in-1 display issues.

Does amd now allow for 6x1 setups? because I haven't seen that any where.
 
OP, I'd seriously wait for 4K to mature even just a little bit. There will be so much new 4K tech coming out in the next year, you'll be sad when your $4K/4K is obsolete as soon as you open the box.
 
Op it sounds like the ASUS 39 inch that uses the same panel as the seiki will fit the bill nicely and should be coming out in the next month or two (first q 2014).

Its larger like you wanted and I can say from experience its excellent for gaming when the refresh rate is good. Unlike the seiki it will be capable of 60Hz. The panel in the seiki is like $300 and they have gone as cheap as $400 so odds are it will be well under $1k and more at the size you were aiming for.
 
OP, I'd seriously wait for 4K to mature even just a little bit. There will be so much new 4K tech coming out in the next year, you'll be sad when your $4K/4K is obsolete as soon as you open the box.

Not that fast though, but I suspect 50% loss in value after a year.
 
Back
Top