4g ram ?

JSF35rhino

[H]ard|Gawd
anybody running 4 gig of ram on a nf4-MB ?

my a8n-sli deluxe with 3200venice is running 2 gig of HD @ 200mhz

now i can put in another 2x256 of inferion and still get a default of 200mhz .

but if i put in 2 x 256 of tccd it defaults to 166mhz?

now i'm thinking if i can put in another 2 g of the same ram-- will i get a default to 166? or will this system default to 200mhz on the 4 g of ram ? :eek:

I've had to manually set my 4x512MB memory for 200MHz on my Gigabyte board with my Venice, because it does auto set to 166.

I'm wondering if this is more of a BIOS/motherboard issue than with the RevE memory controller?

you have 4x512--and it kicks down to 166 --

i have tried 2 1g+ 2x 256tccd--and it boots @ 133 !

now 2x1g + 2x 512 pqu turbo boots up at 166 ?

here is wat is really tripping me out-- i can put in the 2 1g sticks + 2 128's inferion-- and then it will boot up all 2 sticks @ 400 cl-3 ?

i'm trying to decide if it is just the number of sticks--or the numbers of modules --or the single-sided/duble sided --or the type/mix of modules causing this . i would like to get two more 1g'-sticks--but i don't know if its worth the trouble if they are not compatable a 4x 1g

-- i would like it to run 2 1g sticks of the same ram and boot up @ 3200speeds cl3 default--LOl

i wonder if it is just a a-64 issue with the e3 venice ?--LOL :eek:

I suspect you'll be fine with using 4 of the exact same modules. Now, it might default to 166, but you should be able to force 200 in BIOS without a hitch. I know it sucks to rely on a whim like this before shelling out the bucks, so I hope it goes well for you when you get the other modules installed.

some info is better than none at all. i figure it will work because the 4x512's you have are likely DSSD's-- similar to these 1 g sticks .

Actually, I'm using cheapo Kingmax value ram! Since you're going to be installing better memory than I have, hopefully it helps ease your mind a bit.

this is the generic stuff i got of hot deals for $45 for a a 1 g stick.

i got these running @ 2.5cl 400mhz @ 2.6v

they seem to be pretty good as long as you don't overclock them much and run clost to spec. :eek:

Same here. I'm using a 150MHz ram divider and a 267fsb on my 3000+ Venice = 200MHz final memory clock. Everything runs smooth and stable.

The reason you get your ram speed moved down to 166Mhz divider is because of the BIOS/A64 memory controller. Most BIOSes for A64s are programmed to drop RAM speed as soon as you have more than 6 banks of memory, which is why you get dropped with all of your RAM except the 128MB sticks, because they are single-sided, and therefore all the RAM together equates to 6 banks, which won't trip the safety feature in the BIOS. This "feature" is there for compatibility with older processor's, namely the CG and D0 revisions, which didnt support more than 6 banks of ram unless it was running at 2T AND a 166Mhz divider.
With the new E3/6's, this is no longer needed, as the updated memory controller supports running up to 8 banks of memory at full speed BUT at 2T.
So, to conclude, put in the sticks you want, and change the settings in the BIOS to show a 2T command rate (CPC) and full speed divider (1:1 - 200Mhz).

Back