$499 PS3 will NOT have HDMI

Discussion in 'Console Gaming & Acc.' started by ne0-reloaded, May 8, 2006.

1. ne0-reloaded

ne0-reloaded [H]ard|Gawd

2. Gnu314

Gnu314 Limp Gawd

I think that means you won't get the HDMI cables...

Edit, after reading that I'm not so sure.

3. Trinitrotoluene

Trinitrotoluene Limp Gawd

Buy the $599 version then. What is there to be pissed about

4. Trinitrotoluene

5. ne0-reloaded

ne0-reloaded [H]ard|Gawd

i was planning on getting the 599 version anyway, but think about how many people who'll buy 499 version thinking their getting blu-ray/wireless networking. i mean the main feature of the ps3 was blu-ray, and if this is true, thats really fucked up what their doing with their sku's.

6. laxmiddi44

laxmiddi44 Gawd

will the $500 be able to play HD movies that is the main question? if th e 500 can still play HD movies without HDMI then i dont care about having HDMI

7. Trinitrotoluene

They are getting Blu-ray with the 499 version, but not the wireless. Look at the freaken picture I posted

component cables can do 1080i and 1080p but the TV is the main issue

8. K10

K10 2[H]4U

i think sony is trying to pull a 3DO. $499 for the 20-gig system is way beyond the price point for a successful system launch. and with rising energy prices and people spending less on consumer electronics across the board, i say this is the beginning of the end for sony's market share dominance. word.

9. Triple B

Triple B Limp Gawd

Taken from wikipedia.org

Another aspect of compatibility is more problematic. Due to AACS copy protection, the Blu-ray players will only output HD content via HDMI and DVI-D connections, meaning that older HDTV models with Component, RGB D-Sub, and DVI-A inputs (currently, majority of HDTVs in US) will only display video at standard definition or not at all.

So no, you most likely will NOT be "getting" blu-ray with the 499 flavor if I'm understanding this correctly.

10. Trinitrotoluene

yeah the HDCP protection limits it to those two outputs. It probably converts to 1080i

11. AndoOKC1

AndoOKC1 Gawd

What Triple B said is absolutely true. New HI DEF DVD standards mandate that all HI-DEF content be transmitted over HDMI and to HDCP compliant monitors. Sof if $499 has no HDMI then absolutely means no HI DEF blu ray capabilities.

12. laxmiddi44

laxmiddi44 Gawd

wait so will component even be able to display 720p movies? or just not 1080p movies.

someone break this down for me so i can understand it please thx

13. Carbon_Le

Carbon_Le [H]ard|Gawd

If there is no blu ray how the hell are you goin to play the games? sony said all games will be in bd format...im getting confuse now. :confused:

14. PikachuMan

PikachuMan Gawd

*this is optional, and will only be done when the movie-disk specifies. None of the initial Bluray/HD-DVD releases will have this limitation.

*this also affects HD-DVD players (they utilize the same AACS copy protection).

---------------
    Sucks that HDMI isn't included in the 20GB version though.

15. Orange.exe

Orange.exe Limp Gawd

I believe (correct me if i'm wrong) the games will play on blue ray, but just not in hd. You will be able to play in 480p and 480i (standard definition) though.

16. laxmiddi44

laxmiddi44 Gawd

you can run HD games without HDMI thats not the issue

you can't run HD bluray movies at full resolution without HDMI tho...or at least thats what i understand it to be

17. lesman

lesman 2[H]4U

Here's the lowdown on HDMI and HDCP: (it's old news BTW)

The player itself will look for something called an "ICT" or "Image Constraint Token". IF found on the Blu-Ray disc, and IF you don't have an HDMI connection, the movie will be downscaled to a smaller resolution.

NOW, if this Image Constraint Token is NOT found on the BD-ROM, then the player will NOT downscale the resolution even if you don't use an HDMI connection.

That said, for the foreseeable future, most studios will NOT use the Image Constraint Token on the BD-ROM, therefore, for the foreseeable future, movies on Blu-Ray media will not be downscaled, even if you don't use HDMI. Google it.

18. Erasmus354

Erasmus354 [H]ardForum Junkie

I have only heard that HD-DVD made it optional, I thought Blu-Ray still required HDMI. In any case, when they limit the resolution over component it is limited to 480P (DVD) resolution.

19. lesman

lesman 2[H]4U

It's both camps. Here's just one LINK

20. PikachuMan

PikachuMan Gawd

No, the downsampling of movies is a limitation caused by overzealous anti-piracy movie producers. It has nothing to do with blu-ray as a storage/game medium.

You do not need HDMI to give you 720p/1080i/1080p output from your PS3. Component cables will work just fine.

21. psychoace

psychoace [H]ard|Gawd

Sony and a lot of publishers have already confirmed they will allow HD over component without downsampling for atleast a few years because there would be no one watching the movies otherwise.

22. ClearM4

ClearM4 2[H]4U

Yes, but from my understanding movie studios are requiring HDMI. So without it your blueray drive will output 480p video (DVD standard).

Edit, above post answers this clear enough.

23. qbert3

qbert3 [H]ard|Gawd

heh.... gas prices... ps3.... wekfjaeblhflawebhFUCK

24. MonkeyShave

MonkeyShave Limp Gawd

More precisely, the movie studios get to decide when to cut you off.

They'll permit you to watch the first few rounds of movies in HD but soon enough they'll drop the hammer with the ICT. Even the dumbest of schoolyard drug dealers know that tactic.

25. Martyr

Martyr 2[H]4U

knowing sony, they will be one of the first to require it. that will make some funny headlines.

26. JethroXP

JethroXP [H]ard|Gawd

Did anyone else notice the weight? 5kg, that's 11 lbs. That's about 50% heavier than an Xbox360 which only weighs 7 lbs. Not a big deal, just sort of raised my eyebrows when I saw it.

27. KompressorV12

KompressorV12 Limp Gawd

it is one thing if HDMI was an additional attachment you could buy later but i'm assuming you can't, and that will be pretty devistating for their "1080p" campaign

28. KompressorV12

KompressorV12 Limp Gawd

it is also much larger than the x360

playstation3 325mm wide x 98mm high x 274mm deep
    xbox360 309mm wide x 83mm high x 258mm deep

29. Coldtronius

Coldtronius Gawd

As I recall, PS2 and XBOX wern't lightweights either during their launches. Hell, look at how big size wise the PSX was.

30. JethroXP

JethroXP [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah, but that was then, this is now. We don't compare the size of new cell phones to ones from a few years ago, because those were bricks and we have razors now. As technology progesses, things get smaller. That's why I was a bit surprised to see how heavy it was. With that much "stuff" crammed in there, it makes me wonder what the thermal specs look like.

31. zero002021

zero002021 [H]ard|Gawd

I sense another overheating console launch fiasco. :p

32. ne0-reloaded

ne0-reloaded [H]ard|Gawd

Hopefully Sony clears this up during e3. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that sony just mean that the cable isn't included, and not the HDMI port. The pdf i posted had hdmi x1...sony has said the ps3 is supposed to have 2xhdmi, so im gonna assume none of the specs have changed regarding that.

either way, im still gonna get one come november. im just hoping for a good launch lineup.

33. dotK

dotK [H]ard|Gawd

Which means we'll have a bunch of 15 year olds failing chemistry giving lectures on heat transfer and why the PS3 is doomed to fail because of thermal issues. Also, they will go on to say they have the solution to the problem and the cure for AIDS.

34. JethroXP

JethroXP [H]ard|Gawd

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/705/705887p1.html

According to this article on IGN, the lower priced model does not have HDMI, and the higher priced model only includes one.

Looks Like Sony scaled back from their earlier announcements.

35. ClearM4

ClearM4 2[H]4U

My biggest disappointment with the PS3 is no ball shaver :(

36. MasterShredder

MasterShredder 2[H]4U

Since they had to axe the rumble feature, the ball shaver had to go too. The rumble was the drivetrain of the ball shaver, so alas, no ball shaver. :(

37. |MaguS|

|MaguS| [H]ard|Gawd

You have to consider that the PS3 also has an internal powersupply unlike the black box the X360 uses. Atleast it looks like it has an internal one do to the power connector on the back of the console.

38. jebo_4jc

jebo_4jc [H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2011

If the $499 model allows full resolution DVDs and games over component cables, I'm in for one. I can live without wifi (I would probably hard-wire ethernet anyway), I DEFINITELY don't need memory card slots on it, and I can deal with the constraints of the 20gb HDD. Besides, before too long Sony will be offering bigger HDDs as an add-on, so I'll just buy one of those if needed.

Really, the $499 model seems to be pretty cheap, if you factor in the cost of a standalone BD-DVD player. As long as the thing isn't limited to 480p over component cables, I'm happy.

I really hope we get a definitive announcement about the resolution supported over component cables soon.

39. MasterShredder

MasterShredder 2[H]4U

Does the PS3 have an option to upgrade the hardware, like a bigger HDD? I can't tell from the pics of it, but it doesn't look like there's any removable slots for HDD replacement on it.

40. jebo_4jc

jebo_4jc [H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2011

It has 4 usb ports I think. An additional hdd could be connected via usb.