4890 vs GTX 275 review - maybe the hype will now be over :)

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=819&p=5

"The Radeon HD 4870 has always been the king of value, not performance, and with 1GB cards selling for as little as $190 US, this has never been truer. The Radeon HD 4890 threatens the great value of the Radeon HD 4800 series, as it delivered just 5-6% more performance while priced at around 25% more. It was disappointing to find that in so many tests the Radeon HD 4890 was just a few frames per second faster than the original. "

A little bit faster but not a whole new card, ah well 4870's should be cheaper then !!:eek:

Changed the misleading title, still hoping there is some real difference then jut clock speeds :)

remember that this article used an overclocked 4870 to 4890 speeds to simulate the 4890
Today’s performance preview is not using the Radeon HD 4890 or the GeForce GTX 275, but rather we have acquired the right hardware to simulate each product. The Radeon HD 4890 performance will be simulated by a Radeon HD 4870 which will be overclocked to 850MHz using a high-end cooler, while the memory will also be pushed to 975MHz. This will give us the exact performance of the upcoming Radeon HD 4890.

i saw this thing earlier on the front page and immediately saw that line and didn't read any further. Should just wait a few days until real results for both cards are in.

Things were changed on the die i heard on the new 4890 so i think that renders this review obsolete.

Its been said clock for clock the 4890 is faster than the 4870, but for some reason i think that is BS and makes that review totally legit, for the ati fanboys crying, grab a napkin and buy an nvidia gtx 275 so you can have drivers that work, not break with every new release.

what a stupid review. The 4870 isn't the same thing as the 4890 besides just clocks. If this were digg, this would be burried. =p

what a stupid review. The 4870 isn't the same thing as the 4890 besides just clocks. If this were digg, this would be burried. =p

Actually i know people who have the card, it is the same thing and this review is on point, about 5-8% increase is what should be expected, nvidia didnt release a GTX 275 for no reason, it is a direct competitor for 4890.

for some reason i think that is BS and makes that review totally legit

your assertion doesnt make any sense. we cant extrapolate results, just be patient and we'll have proof of the cards performance soon enough.

::edit::

so you know "people" who have this card in their rigs, with proper drivers, and its the same marginal increase in speed? well i sure hope not.. but hows the OCing? if you know people with the cards, you've gotta know about that :)

your assertion doesnt make any sense. we cant extrapolate results, just be patient and we'll have proof of the cards performance soon enough.

::edit::

so you know "people" who have this card in their rigs, with proper drivers, and its the same marginal increase in speed? well i sure hope not.. but hows the OCing? if you know people with the cards, you've gotta know about that :)

Stock cooling should get you anywhere from 900-950 ish, water and volt mod should do 1000 MHZ and higher, its going to sell around $250-300, Fry's will have it soon for $279.99

Stock cooling should get you anywhere from 900-950 ish, water and volt mod should do 1000 MHZ and higher, its going to sell around $250-300, Fry's will have it soon for $279.99

Ya just stop already. MSRP is $259 as of a few weeks back. I have the documentation, it may be even lower now. It doesn't take a volt mod to hit 1000mhz either. IF you knew anything about the chip you would know that features a bigger die size and also optimized shaders.

It isn't the same thing.

Hmmm.... how about you ask yourself that question, you seem to be a moron who cannot take someone else's opinion, ati sucks, my opinion and experience, you dont have to agree, they cannot make drivers if their life depended on it. I build computers for high end video streaming, gaming, workstations and no one prefers ATI, everyone uses nvidia, there must be a reason for that, the fact that ATI made hundreds of streaming computers crash because of their crap drivers, and nvidia worked flawlessly tells me something, i speak from experience, not a fanboy little girl such as yourself.
LOL, you are half-ass internet hack at best, and you are talking like your mom and dad are buying you video cards with your allowance and you have a personal vendetta against ATI. It's a fucking video card company. If you don't like their drivers, fine, go buy something else, but throwing out the words "fanboy" left and right and talking about peoples "tears" over a review screams that you are a biased 12-year old.

I don't give a shit what people "prefer", either, especially on an unsubstantiated internet post. I'm sure if you take a trip down to the HTPC forum and ask around you will find people who ATI for video streaming, and there are obviously a number of people on this forum using 48xx cards for gaming - take a look at the Steam user #s and note that 4800-series cards are one of the most popular around now. There is a reason for this, and it's not that they suck.

Also when it comes to experience I've been on this forum for almost 9 years and I have used NVIDIA cards since the first GeForce and ATI personally shipped me a demo kit for the very first Radeon board to be released, plus I have owned two 4850s in the last four months and have two NVIDIA cards in my system now. Please :rolleyes:

ati sucks, my opinion and experience, you dont have to agree, they cannot make drivers if their life depended on it.

You're wrong.
Microsoft's data suggest Nvidia is the one who can't make reliable drivers. I'll take their crash reports over your personal experience any day.
http://media.arstechnica.com/news.media/vistacrash-1.jpg

Not only are ATI drivers better, their cards are more reliable.
http://i41.tinypic.com/16arxxx.png

I won't even mention how bad their notebooks GPU's have been failing.

lol @ thread and review.

Nice read anyway, but as many mentioned the 4890 is NOT just a higher clock speed, although that is primarily what it is. I don't honestly believe it will be a huge difference by any means, but I also don't believe that the results found by OC'ing a 4870 to the same clock should be taken as a definitive result. I know we are all impatient, but that is just silly. Wait for the card to come out and be tested correctly people :).

Simulated review.
How professional. Oh well, that's LegionHardware for you.

I didn't click the link after seeing the posts stating it was based on a 4870 OC.
I trust ATi to release a worthy refresh. :)

Someone needs to tell LegionHardware that ATI isn't NVIDIA, and this kind of stuff only works on NVIDIA hardware.

8800GT -> 9800GTX -> GTS 250 anyone?

But these retarded NVIDIOTS are pretty entertaining. Anybody got anything else to feed these trolls? This thread is shit anyways (no offense OP).

Wasn't it established that the 4890 was not just an overclocked 4870 and the die WAS different? Did they miss that memo?

Anyway, the true worth of the 4890 will be in its overclocking potential. If people are regularly hitting 1000MHz overclocks on air, as some preliminary results have indicated, Nvidia is going to have a tough act to follow with its GTX 275.

And yes gar, I have used nVidia cards too (8800GT most recently) lest you call me a ATI FaNb01!!!

I read the two pages and really some things are just fuckin plain dumb, how the fuck do you justify backing a review of a product when the product is not even present in the review. Really now, I wanna see review of an actual product not some simulated bullshit, i wanna see how the hd 4890 overclocks, and please don't tell me that if the card overclocks like hell you won't do it, I have nvidia and I have ati, and the day we start favoring one company over other without realizing the value of your dollar, you are not hurting anyone but your wallet, or may be your wallet is too fat for your own good.

How very disappointing the 4890 is, not even worth the money. What was the point of both NVIDIA and ATI releasing the 275 GTX and 4890 anyway? Just a few FPS increase on both cards and it costs more? Not worth it.

How very disappointing the 4890 is, not even worth the money. What was the point of both NVIDIA and ATI releasing the 275 GTX and 4890 anyway? Just a few FPS increase on both cards and it costs more? Not worth it.

RTFA

Legionhardware is probably pissed of that ATI didnt send them any hd 4890s so they !@$@ all over ATI by doing a review with OC'ed HD 4870 simulating a HD 4890 thus getting owned by GTX 275.

The news pipelines must be drying up for them, with no g92s being rebadged and the 275 being a paperlaunch.

As has been said, the review is a simulation, not an actual review with the card in hand.

More of a review of 'how would a 4870 perform with 4890 clocks', and 'how does 295gtx only run with 1 core'

The thread title is seriously misleading. Why hasn't this thread been locked yet? :rolleyes:

This is most pointless review ever. It's a synthetic version of two cards running synthetic benchmarks.

I'm waiting on the [H] review.

I have read reviews with the real cards, and the 4890 was faster in games most of the time, go figure.

I hope these things can hit 1ghz OC on a regular basis, cause if they can I'm getting one for sure! I'm an overclocker damnit and products like this are great in my opinion. I wish we could get em to tweak the designs for overclockers from day 1.

Back