• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4890 HDMI sound out

Joined
Oct 14, 2005
Messages
50
I wondering if I should spend extra $20 for 4890 with HDMI out or not
I like to use my TV with computer sometimes and having sound would be good
but I heard it doesn't always work like it's supposed to, driver problem?
anyway, is it worth it?
 
are you asking about a 4890 with a built in hdmi port or one that comes with the dvi/hdmi adapter? i've never seen that card with built in hdmi in the before. if you're asking whether audio through hdmi on an ati card works well, then my answer is a resounding yes. i find it worlds better than having to run a pass through from the audio connectors on the mobo to the video card. if you're trying to get it to work in xp, then it can be quite a challenge getting all the right drivers to work with each other, but in vista it is as simple as installing the catalyst drivers. i've had ati cards in my htpc's since the hd 2xxx series cards and that will continue for as long as ati puts audio chips on their video cards.
 
It'll take a lot of re-wiring for me to test this out - but can anyone confirm what kind of audio the ATI cards can handle over HDMI? Will it do Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.? What about LPCM 5.1 or 7.1?
 
i wouldn't spend an additional $20 just for a built in hdmi out. fairly sure every ati card 46xx and above supports lpcm 7.1.
 
It'll take a lot of re-wiring for me to test this out - but can anyone confirm what kind of audio the ATI cards can handle over HDMI? Will it do Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.? What about LPCM 5.1 or 7.1?

The 5000 series can send out Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio (8 channel, 195KHz/24-bit) over HDMI.

The 4000 series can send out 8-channel LPCM audio output over HDMI
 
That's great. I wish I had another HDMI spot on my receiver, but my 360 and PS3 are taking up the only two I have. I running a multi-out from my PC instead.
Now I not only need an LED TV, I need a new receiver, too :) Stupid lack of an endless budget...
 
The 5000 series can send out Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio (8 channel, 195KHz/24-bit) over HDMI.

The 4000 series can send out 8-channel LPCM audio output over HDMI

This is a big win for the 5000 series in my book.
 
i have a msi hd4890 with 2x dvi outs and an svs. i use a dvi to hdmi cable (no adaptor) straight into a 37" viewsonic tv, and do not get any sound from the tv speakers. i am using 9.10 drivers and the ati hdmi driver. the tv is set up correctly for sound, as is the pc. i do get sound thru the tv speakers from the hdmi feed from my cable/dvr stb. do i need to run the cable thru a receiver or some kind of home theater amp to get sound from this?
 
What kinda reciever? Usually you need to "set" the in/out of the receiver for the corresponding input.
 
Are your settings correct in the OS? Is all other sound disabled and the ATI enabled?
 
Does the 4890 have an onboard sound chip? Or is it streaming the one you already have.
 
Does the 4890 have an onboard sound chip? Or is it streaming the one you already have.

Yes, it has a realtek onboard audio chip. It also supports EAC 1& 2. It can bitstream AC-3, DTS and supports up to 7.1 LCPM over the DVI-HDMI adapter which is included with the card. It works fantastic with the latest HD Audio Drivers on realtek's website. I can listen to TrueHD and DTS: HD MA once decoded into PCM format.

wait a min!
you can out put audio through dvi port as well?

Read the above info.
 
wait a min!
you can out put audio through dvi port as well?

all ATi cards of the 4000 gen can (I dunno about the 5000 gen), using a special DVI-HDMI adaptor, typically supplied with most ATi cards that do not have a HDMI output.

adaptor cables do not work, in my experience.
 
all ATi cards of the 4000 gen can (I dunno about the 5000 gen), using a special DVI-HDMI adaptor, typically supplied with most ATi cards that do not have a HDMI output.

adaptor cables do not work, in my experience.

All 5xxx series so far have a built in HDMI port along with 2 DVI ports.
 
All 5xxx series so far have a built in HDMI port along with 2 DVI ports.

Thank you!

I wondered whether or not the (ATi) DVI ports still retained their ability to stream audio over then? (5000 series)

Also, the 5970 has only DVI/DP, but....

if you are using that for a HTPC....
We got :eek: and that's it.
 
Thank you!

I wondered whether or not the (ATi) DVI ports still retained their ability to stream audio over then? (5000 series)

Also, the 5970 has only DVI/DP, but....

if you are using that for a HTPC....
We got :eek: and that's it.

14-102-863-Z05


It comes with an adapter for one of the ports and I think theres an adapter dongle for HDMI.
 
Hmm, when did DVI support audio? Er I should say its confusing because there's so many variations with ATI.

HDMI = DVI and DVI = HDMI. It both has the same 19pin configuration needed for audio support. They're the same thing except the pins are just spread out differently.
 
Hmm, when did DVI support audio? Er I should say its confusing because there's so many variations with ATI.

All ATi 4000 series, for sure, supported audio via the DVI output.

However, it required a DVI-HDMI adaptor to use, as most/all DVI monitors do not accept audio via DVI.
 
To reiterate thats using the dvd-d connector and a special dvi-d to hdmi just in the 4000 cards?
 
To reiterate thats using the dvd-d connector and a special dvi-d to hdmi just in the 4000 cards?

ATi cards all use DVI-I.

The adaptor is usually shipped along with the card.

Otherwise, a thrid party adaptor might not actually have leads connected to the audio pins.
 
The 5000 series can send out Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio (8 channel, 195KHz/24-bit) over HDMI.

The 4000 series can send out 8-channel LPCM audio output over HDMI

Can the 5000 series do 8-channel LPCM over HDMI as well?
Also, what audio is the 3870 able to pass over HDMI (LPCM/Bitstream)?
 
3870

5.1
LCPM

I'm not sure of 5000 series LCPM support, but I know it has bitstreaming.

The 3xxx series can only do 2 channel LPCM and it can bitstream AC-3 and DTS.

The 5xxx series has a HDMI 1.3 port which can bitstream the full Dolby Digital suite along with the full DTS suite. It can also send up to 8 channels of LPCM.
 
As far as the 4000 series, I could only get HDMI audio out of the so-called "smart" adapters that shipped either with the card or could generally be ordered seperately. I have a million of them at home now, from my 4 4870s. 2 for crossfire + 2 got RMA'd. I think my 5870 may have one in the box, even.

But yeah, you won't get HDMI audio out of it without.I tried several different adapters and cables to make it happen when I was shy an adapter somehow. Only the ATI ones worked for me. I was able to get it to pass through pretty much everything from my MKV files, but then my receiver only handles DD and DTS 7.1. None of that extra fancy stuff.
 
so i have a hd4890 with 2x dvi ports and an svs. i connect directly to a viewsonic 37" tv with a dvi to hdmi cable (no adaptor) the tv is set up correctly for sound, as is the pc. i am using win7 , 9.10 drivwers and the ati hdmi drivers, but i do not get sound from the tv speakers. i do get sound from the hdmi in from my cable/dvr stb. i have tried to set sound in on auto, hdmi and dvi on the tv. do i need a receiver or some kind of ht amp to output this sound, ie plug the dvi to hdmi cable from the vid card to the receiver, then out to the tv?

re above, so you use the card, then the ati dvi to hdmi adaptor, then a standard hdmi to hdmi cable?
 
My sapphire has HDMI HD audio and it was one of the cheapest 4890 out there. 190 bucks!

I recommend it, because.. if you don't get it there is going to be a time down the line where you wish you did, and from what i see there isn't kind of price difference.
 
To revisit this topic - the ATI drivers package has an HDMI audio driver built within. Besides that driver, do you need to (or should you) install the Realtek drivers as well? I'm speaking on the 5x series.
Also - what kind of audio configuration settings are available for these? Are you just using the standard Windows settings, or are there more detailed items available? I ask because on the Creative cards you typically need to tell it to re-route bass to the subwoofer in Vista/7. Is there an option for surround while playing MP3's?
 
if you're using a fully patched version of vista or win7 you don't have to install the realtek ati hdmi driver to get audio out through your video card. you only need to run the realtek drivers if you want more control over your audio options, because it installs the realtek control panel as well.
 
Back
Top