4870x2 xfire and wow... not overkill :)

Putz

I have a custom title
@ 800 core on each and 915 on the memory a single 4870x2 @ 2560x1600 @ 4x multisample in game and 4x edge detect wow becomes quite choppy at times dipping below 30 fps

with the same settings but both cards its pegged at 60fps, always

the single 4870x2 has no issues with 4x and 1920x1200 however

just and fyi for all the /hate posts i got when i posted my new cards being useless/overkill lol

Technically, yes, that card IS overkill for WoW, even considering the 19x12 res. But rejoice in that you'll need the heater on less this winter! ;)

EDIT: Lulz, I guess you just meant "wow" as an exclamation. :D

What drivers are you using???

Glad this is good for you, but is this really newsworthy???

I've had these cards for 6 weeks in Crossfire and they work just fine, the drivers on the otherhand are getting old to deal with...............
I love these cards, but given all the pain in the ass I've gone through with drivers, this is probably my last ATI card(s).

I'm gonna get one of those X58 boards that has SLI.:eek::eek:

i dunno Ive installed 8.6, 8.7, 8.8, 8.9 and now 8.10 without issues what so ever

no microstuddering to speak of

an for 2560x1600 its not overkill 1 card barely holds 30 fps with two it stick at 60 fps

Enjoy your microstuttering. lulz. But good news for people looking to do that.

f_oldm_9ac6f62.jpg

Side Note: what happened to [H] forums? there's also a recent thread somewhere about MS and half the people there have no clue what it is but are so confident with their misinformation.

f_oldm_9ac6f62.jpg

Side Note: what happened to [H] forums? there's also a recent thread somewhere about MS and half the people there have no clue what it is but are so confident with their misinformation.

LOL.. the real reason is the nv fanboys cant get over the fact that 4870X2 owns every nvidia offering, they deperately need some reasons to discredit the card. It is said be to Far Cray 2 is a directx 10.1 game, they are now hating the game now.

I dont understand how someone can be a fanboy in the video card world.Buy whatever is better and cheaper.I know nvidia has been leading the way but with ati doing the way it is you really cant pass it up.
I had a 8800gt but now i have a 4850.

I dont understand how someone can be a fanboy in the video card world.Buy whatever is better and cheaper.I know nvidia has been leading the way but with ati doing the way it is you really cant pass it up.

There's nothing wrong with being a fanboy period. There are Apple, Honda, BMW, Nokia, etc. Its when they start making non rational and made up crap or spin facts just to bring down another product that is wrong.

you can have preferred companies at the least. I am fond of BFG which helped me get my Nvidia card (it was also 200 dollars cheaper at the time) over the 4870X2. but at the current price points there would be a 4870X2 sitting in my machine. If it wasn't for the Nvidia partners I would not have been buying Nvidia at all.

f_oldm_9ac6f62.jpg

Awesome.

I agree with the OP, under wow i'm running max shadows 1920x1080 and 8x Edge detect

Crossfire 4870's dip a little when i get into tristfal with all those shadows but other wise i stay pegged, and wow still looks very awsome.

Side Note: What happened to [H] forums? there's also a recent thread somewhere about MS and half the people there have no clue what it is but are so confident with their misinformation.

Who does know what MS is? They themselves dont even know.

Anyways, I've read in a couple reviews 8 GB actually hurts system performance over 4GB.

Who does know what MS is? They themselves dont even know.

Anyways, I've read in a couple reviews 8 GB actually hurts system performance over 4GB.
Don't know if you are referring to me? But alot of people know what it is and this has been discussed to death on other tech forums. Seems quite a few on this forum didn't get the memo.
I learned about it from the guy (from XS and big thread there) that created this hype which snowballed into a beast bandwagon topic.

f_oldm_9ac6f62.jpg

That is soooo funny, I almost fell out of my chair this morning.!! :D

I have the same card too, but it plays like sh*te.

First of all, when I play the new patch, in windowed maxed out mode (vistax64, 8gb ram) it crashes the computer regularly. In fact, the card crashes on google photo screensaver.

Second it often dibs down in the 30's (maybe I havent enabled crossfire, havent tried. I thought it did that automatically).

Anyone else have these problems?

Yeah all these clowns talking about microstuttering with CF make me feel funny and laugh at them. Um 2008 is calling with its current hardware to let you know that there is no more microstuttering with CF. I've been running CF since June and have yet to see any game stutter and not run above 30fps at 1920x1200, even crysis. Warhead gave me fits until 8.10 but even it runs 10x better now since the new drivers. If ati could get its driver install/uninstall routines fixed and fix the remaining niggling issues with its drivers then imo it would be hands down the winner of this generation of cards.

well wow in fullscreen or window only uses 1 core with WoW so its like your playing with 4870 1GB card NOT a x2. make sure you have cat AI enabled that seems to help my fps.

and if your haveing trouble with window mode, try and shut off aero... and use rvia tuner to OC the card alittle and keep it in 3d mode. in window mode it stays @ 2d clocks unless you do that.

Does Quadfire perform close to 1.5 times the performance of single 4870x2?

They fixed microstuttering on the 4870 x2 :p

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1324481

So they fixed microstutter... cause one guy said it was fixed? There was nothing official from ATI about this, no hardware fix. Just Sampsa saying "Good news! I can confirm that based on my own tests microstuttering is gone on R700!"

...and I've got a nice tropical island I can sell you cheap....

Does Quadfire perform close to 1.5 times the performance of single 4870x2?

it can, but it seems pretty dependent on the games and it is not the rule. and it will not be fps, it will be the amount of AI you turn up more then FPS. The reason everyone is down on the quad fire is that there is the horrible price/performance ratio. your not going to see anywhere near the scaling of sli or crossfire.

So they fixed microstutter... cause one guy said it was fixed? There was nothing official from ATI about this, no hardware fix. Just Sampsa saying "Good news! I can confirm that based on my own tests microstuttering is gone on R700!"

...and I've got a nice tropical island I can sell you cheap....

microstutter? you should read up, it really hasn't been an issue this generation on either green or red.

There's nothing wrong with being a fanboy period. There are Apple, Honda, BMW, Nokia, etc. Its when they start making non rational and made up crap or spin facts just to bring down another product that is wrong.

there is plenty wrong, YOU usually get screwed in the end and dont get your moneys worth buying a product that isnt the best when there is better out there for your money.

also, i thought WoW didnt actually use SLI / Xfire?

WoW does take advantage of multiple GPUs. It's pretty obvious when I disable Cat AI and my FPS drops considerably. It does seem like the engine scales really terribly to higher resolutions though (talking 2560x1600 here). I get better FPS is just about everything short of Crysis than I do in WoW.

WoW does take advantage of multiple GPUs. It's pretty obvious when I disable Cat AI and my FPS drops considerably. It does seem like the engine scales really terribly to higher resolutions though (talking 2560x1600 here). I get better FPS is just about everything short of Crysis than I do in WoW.

this is semi correct, with AI disabled wow runs like crap for me.. but with gpu-z open for both cores the 2nd core stays @ 0% with and without it disabled.

LOL.. the real reason is the nv fanboys cant get over the fact that 4870X2 owns every nvidia offering, they deperately need some reasons to discredit the card. It is said be to Far Cray 2 is a directx 10.1 game, they are now hating the game now.

if anyone didn't hate far cry 2 before, something is seriously wrong.

i like ati but i like minimum fps the most, and currently nvidia seems to do the best there.

Nah WoW sucks with the 4870 X2. My 8800 gtx ran the game better. I cant even get AA working and when I use in game AA it runs terrible. They need to fix this problem. Its actually pathetic they haven't got it fixed by now.

In left 4 dead, far cry 2, any other game it runs awesome. I still would like to see a boost in performance in those games also. hope the Cat 9's are good

f_oldm_9ac6f62.jpg

Quoting picture because like 10 others have as well.

Good to know about the microstuttering being fixed.
Now perhaps I can buy an ATI X2 card in the future.

Anyone know if Nvidia fixed it with the GTX 295?

f_oldm_9ac6f62.jpg

bahahahahaha

That, sir, is awesome.

It's been fixed for quite some time -- in drivers, I'd think, since I don't get any with a pair of 'ancient' 8800 GTXs. I've yet to hear /anyone/ complain about it on the GTX 260 / 280 though, so regardless, I doubt it will be an issue with the 295. Really, the only Nvidia configuration I remember ever hearing multiple complaints about microstuttering with (discounting the panic period wherein everyone with SLI and Xfire convinced themselves they had stuttering... and didn't) would be the 9800GX2 / 9800GX2 Quad SLI.

It's been fixed for quite some time -- in drivers, I'd think, since I don't get any with a pair of 'ancient' 8800 GTXs. I've yet to hear /anyone/ complain about it on the GTX 260 / 280 though, so regardless, I doubt it will be an issue with the 295. Really, the only Nvidia configuration I remember ever hearing multiple complaints about microstuttering with (discounting the panic period wherein everyone with SLI and Xfire convinced themselves they had stuttering... and didn't) would be the 9800GX2 / 9800GX2 Quad SLI.

9800 GX2 does have a extreme micro-stuttering..

I been experience the whole week of it..

and NO!! They DID NOT FIX IT AT ALL!!!

not even now....

that is also the reason why 9800GX2 aint selling well...

and also been call..."Benchmark Card"

that is a good question but H preview said its on pair or slightly better then a 4870X2. but they never really did fix the issue with the 9800GX2 so I can't say that they have but I would be hard press to believe that this would do the same. after all GTX260 SLI work just fine

Um, out of the 10+ games I played with my 4870x2, there wasn't a hint of this so-called microstutter. Not only have I not experienced it, but no review sites have either. Those who keep insisting that the card exhibits microstuttering need to:

A.) Buy the card and try it for yourself.

OR

B.) Shut the fuck up.

Um, out of the 10+ games I played with my 4870x2, there wasn't a hint of this so-called microstutter. Not only have I not experienced it, but no review sites have either. Those who keep insisting that the card exhibits microstuttering need to:

A.) Buy the card and try it for yourself.

OR

B.) Shut the fuck up.

Wow. A lttile defensive are we?

I have 2 3870s and I never experienced any microstutter at all. Maybe it's still an issue on the x2's though. As far as wow...I am about 99% sure their graphics engine upgrades in wotlk are borked. Some really busy areas I am pegged at 60 fps then in clear areas with no players and little polygons/etc I get low rates. I have the shadows at a peg under half way. If I put them to full the screen just flashes black about every 5 seconds until I lower it back down. I do have all other settings at max with res at 1680x1050 and 4x multisample.

Any of you played with the multisample stuff in game tho? I get maybe a 5 fps difference from 0x and 8x or whatever max is. Same with shadows and a lot of other options of theirs. However, since wow doesnt seem to have a lot of jaggies to worry about I just dont care enough to force it in drivers. I do force 16x anisotropic filtering though.

Also WoW is not programmed for xfire/SLI so any benefit you see comes strictly from drivers/directx and not how the game handles it. Whereas other games (crysis after patch 1.2, farcry 2, etc) are programmed to take full advantage of more than 1 GPU. Also if you run WoW in windowed mode...good luck, I had more issues that way than anything else. Not to mention xfire only works with full screen 3d applications as far as I know.

Back