4870x2 reviews beating gtx280 sli

I hate all the cards you just mentioned above. All cards are competing with the 4850 at this point.

hey i'm jsut stating the fact. this is what nvidia is doing to itself. its totally rediculuos.

the fact that they JUST released the 9500GT and the 9800GT, when they BOTH compete with their own previous and current series (9600GT and the 8800GT) is retarded.

so obviously, they DO NOT have the answer...
not this round.

hey i'm jsut stating the fact. this is what nvidia is doing to itself. its totally rediculuos.

the fact that they JUST released the 9500GT and the 9800GT, when they BOTH compete with their own previous and current series (9600GT and the 8800GT) is retarded.

not this round.

it clear NVIDIA has no answer this round....u can tell because they are just shrinking thier old tech to 55nm....

nvidia will be back in 09 i am assured

I hate all the cards you just mentioned above. All cards are competing with the 4850 at this point.
not this round.
You guys don't understand the computer market. What nVidia is doing is securing itself extra profit in the low end market because of it's mid/high failures. Contrary to the belief of this "microcosm," the new GTX and 4000s series aren't even on the radar of the average gamer. When this average gamer wants a better gaming experience, he or she will stop at Best Buy and pick up an overpriced 9500GT because some idiot in a blue shirt tells him or her its a good idea. By offering extra products in the low end (<$150) nVidia is playing smart economics. ATi needs to pump out its low end 4000 series soon to compete for that large, and profitable, market.

The fact that the 4850 is now hitting < $150 with rebates tells me that more than a few gamers know of it. Yes, the low to mdi market is where most of the money is made, but at its price point the 4850 has really won the hearts of the low to mid range market. That and because its pushed the 3800's and 8800GT to $100 mark.

The fact that the 4850 is now hitting < $150 with rebates tells me that more than a few gamers know of it. Yes, the low to mdi market is where most of the money is made, but at its price point the 4850 has really won the hearts of the low to mid range market. That and because its pushed the 3800's and 8800GT to $100 mark.

You can't consider the 4850 low end. It's mid-range...and certainly the best mid-range card out. The only single gpu solution that can top a 4850 is the 4870 or GTX280, so your getting a lot of performance for the money.

You guys don't understand the computer market. What nVidia is doing is securing itself extra profit in the low end market because of it's mid/high failures. Contrary to the belief of this "microcosm," the new GTX and 4000s series aren't even on the radar of the average gamer. When this average gamer wants a better gaming experience, he or she will stop at Best Buy and pick up an overpriced 9500GT because some idiot in a blue shirt tells him or her its a good idea. By offering extra products in the low end (<$150) nVidia is playing smart economics. ATi needs to pump out its low end 4000 series soon to compete for that large, and profitable, market.

I think the 4850 is on the radar. The fact that they sell it at best buy is a good indication that a card is on the radar for the average consumer. You won't see a gtx280 at best buy, I'm pretty sure of that. You'll see a 4870 though.

You can't consider the 4850 low end. It's mid-range...and certainly the best mid-range card out. The only single gpu solution that can top a 4850 is the 4870 or GTX280, so your getting a lot of performance for the money.

Right but its price range certainly puts it right where B&M stores will sell it.

Keep in mind that a year ago, at the same price range the 4850 is, we had a lovely choice between the 8600GTS, 2600XT, or the X1950Pro.

It's clear that in a year, we've gotten triple the performance at the same price point, and those cards were sold at B&M stores.

I think the 4850 is on the radar. The fact that they sell it at best buy is a good indication that a card is on the radar for the average consumer. You won't see a gtx280 at best buy, I'm pretty sure of that. You'll see a 4870 though.

Best Buy only puts Vid Cards on its shelf what move big units.... so its safe to say the 4850 is moving like hot cakes

if i didnt have this Sli board with my twin 9600's ... i would have copped 2 of them already

Best Buy only puts Vid Cards on its shelf what move big units.... so its safe to say the 4850 is moving like hot cakes

You hear these kinds of statements and just really wonder what are the true numbers? I'm sure that the 4850 is selling very well as far as video cards go, but what are the numbers really? I've never see good info on this. AMD and nVidia don't release these numbers. All I ever see are general rumors.

There was an article on tom's hardware that stated how badly the gt200 series is doing.

Actually according to Fudzilla, the GTX 260 was going pretty well, not so for the GTX 280.

At any rate, these cards are going to be soon replaced, even Charlie D said something almost nice about the 55nm part: http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/31/taipei-update-graphics-sorrows

Still, it should be able to rule the single-GPU market till end of this year, even with just GDDR3 memory. The 55nm G92b, the one in the 9800GTX+, was also reasonably well received for the segment between mid-range and high-end, as long as there are no new inventory rehash shenanigans with number spins there.

At any rate, the GTX 280 was a failure. With the 4870x2 coming in two weeks and the 55nm coming right after that, all these debates we've been having are about to be obsolete.

It's very possible that AMD will have the best performing single slot card and nVidia have a performance vs. price edge in only 4 more weeks. That's competition!

i actually bought a 4870 last weekend from best buy.

They also had a visiontek 4850 and bfg tech gtx 260 on the shelf.

price wise, they were pretty competitive as well.

What's up with best buy, they haven't had a 25% off sale on their visiontek cards lately. Imagine getting a 4870 for $225.

I would love to have a great gaming card for less than $200, but after moving to 30"@2560x1600 i must remenber you that the 4850 can not move these beasts:

A-The 7% edge that the 4870 has over the 4850 at the same clock at 19x12 is not much but the 2GB DDR5 of the 4870X2 makes games that the 4850 moves below 40fps/0xAA go over 70fps with all eye candie:)

B- an overclocked 280 ( and to a lesser degree a 4870 also) can manage 25x16 if you dont demand high AA levels, but Age of Conan is still crawling bellow the 60fps mark. even if you dont play Age of Conan rest assured that the Blurr effects inside are the future of Dx10 gaming.;)

If the just released 1GB 4850/4870 could manage 25x16 games then i dont see a market place for the 4970X2/280. but no 1GB version of 512MB cards have ever showed any performance gain, even at 25x16, mostly because the memory speed is more important than the memory size as the 260 vs 4870 @2560x1600 results have demonstrated in another tread here.

Will 1GB DDR5 be enough for 25x16 gaming or must we use multiGPUs solutions?

I would love to have a great gaming card for less than $200, but after moving to 30"@2560x1600 i must remenber you that the 4850 can not move these beasts:

A-The 7% edge that the 4870 has over the 4850 at the same clock at 19x12 is not much but the 2GB DDR5 of the 4870X2 makes games that the 4850 moves below 40fps/0xAA go over 70fps with all eye candie:)

B- an overclocked 280 ( and to a lesser degree a 4870 also) can manage 25x16 if you dont demand high AA levels, but Age of Conan is still crawling bellow the 60fps mark. even if you dont play Age of Conan rest assured that the Blurr effects inside are the future of Dx10 gaming.;)

If the just released 1GB 4850/4870 could manage 25x16 games then i dont see a market place for the 4970X2/280. but no 1GB version of 512MB cards have ever showed any performance gain, even at 25x16, mostly because the memory speed is more important than the memory size as the 260 vs 4870 @2560x1600 results have demonstrated in another tread here.

Will 1GB DDR5 be enough for 25x16 gaming or must we use multiGPUs solutions?
This is a generic answer, but no one can accurately predict the future anyway. The higher amounts of bandwidth available on newer cards certainly makes it easier to run high resolutions, but high resolutions and good game play depend on more than just memory bandwidth. Just because a card can "manage" a game a 2560x1600 doesn't mean it offers the best gaming experience. Economics always wins here - if there's a market for a faster card because someone wants 8xAA or to run 60FPS vsync nonstop, there will be a card for it.

Right but its price range certainly puts it right where B&M stores will sell it.

Keep in mind that a year ago, at the same price range the 4850 is, we had a lovely choice between the 8600GTS, 2600XT, or the X1950Pro.

It's clear that in a year, we've gotten triple the performance at the same price point, and those cards were sold at B&M stores.

if i didnt have this Sli board with my twin 9600's ... i would have copped 2 of them already
i actually bought a 4870 last weekend from best buy.

They also had a visiontek 4850 and bfg tech gtx 260 on the shelf.

price wise, they were pretty competitive as well.
As far as these comments go, having the cards in the store definitely gives them exposure. However, remember that for most of the population (i.e. nonenthusiasts), dropping $200 on a video card (HD4850) is a big investment. For the $300 4870, the point stands even more so. I saw 8800GTX's at Best Buy when they first came out, but they certainly didn't fly off the shells. The simple fact is it is difficult to market such high priced "esoteric" items. Still, if AMD can offer a similarly scaled 4000 series part (4650?) in the MSRP range of $150, they'll definitely capture a lucrative market.

As far as these comments go, having the cards in the store definitely gives them exposure. However, remember that for most of the population (i.e. nonenthusiasts), dropping $200 on a video card (HD4850) is a big investment. For the $300 4870, the point stands even more so. I saw 8800GTX's at Best Buy when they first came out, but they certainly didn't fly off the shells. The simple fact is it is difficult to market such high priced "esoteric" items. Still, if AMD can offer a similarly scaled 4000 series part (4650?) in the MSRP range of $150, they'll definitely capture a lucrative market.

Yeah, b/c Best Buy tried to sell the 8800 gtx for $1000 sometimes.

You sure...or did you forget about Intel and Nehalem? :)

Well its rumoured that Nvidia will be leaving the chipset market soon as it has no Nehalem license and nothing from AMD's Cpu division to help them.

SLi may be going the way of the DODO

So it still has microstuttering, but some serious raw performance. About what I expected.

I don't know, I am very tempted to go with a bfg gtx280 OC which is selling for only $384.99 at tiger. I am so close to pulling the trigger. I won't be taxed which makes it a even better deal. Maybe this is just me wanting to go back to the 8800ultra glory days? I just don't know, that's such a good price / performance ratio now. I'm just scared of the temps. I wonder if re-gooping the gpu with ceramique will lower temps on that stock cooler? Any GTX280 owners try this? :confused:

I was tempted to buy a gtx 280 and step-up to the 55 nm shrink that's coming up, but then I remembered all the problems I've had with nvidia drivers etc and said forget it.

I don't know, I am very tempted to go with a bfg gtx280 OC which is selling for only $384.99 at tiger. I am so close to pulling the trigger. I won't be taxed which makes it a even better deal. Maybe this is just me wanting to go back to the 8800ultra glory days? I just don't know, that's such a good price / performance ratio now. I'm just scared of the temps. I wonder if re-gooping the gpu with ceramique will lower temps on that stock cooler? Any GTX280 owners try this? :confused:

I've heard that redoing the thermal material doesn't necessarily fix the problem. I can understand your concern, but there are plenty of people around with no problems as well.

I wonder if re-gooping the gpu with ceramique will lower temps on that stock cooler? Any GTX280 owners try this? :confused:

I "re-gooped" my HD 3870s with Artic 5, and this is what I noticed. My idle temp is at 52 C, and it used to be at 58 C (805/1200). OC to 830/1200 it idles at 58 C, and it used to be at 63 C.

Not that bad considering how easy it is to do, but I was thinking of using the cooler that Zalman makes for most single processors. My processor consistenly idles at 29C (Zalman 110mm), and thats a Q6600 at 3.6 Ghz.

3870 doesn't get as hot as a gtx280 though.

Say's who? http://www.techspot.com/review/76-asus-radeon-hd-3870/page8.html

This is about what my THREE GTX 280's get to when running Crysis for an hour according to this, 90C is the highest I've seen on the top card. I have gotten it to 94C running Furmark for 30 minutes. I don't think that the 3870 is cool relative the GTX 280. Maybe a few degrees but then the performance difference between the two, I don't know if it makes a lot of sense to compare the two. At idle there's no difference.

With the current solutions for cooling offered on the 3870s now, they are cooler. My old Sapphire Toxic 3870 only got up to a max of around 50. This was under full load running crysis for a few hours. This thing just wouldn't get hot. Now with regular stock coolers, I imagine that they would be pretty similar. Now on the side of performance, that just isn't fair. That is like comparing a man with no legs to a person on steroids running a mile lap.

Say's who? http://www.techspot.com/review/76-asus-radeon-hd-3870/page8.html

This is about what my THREE GTX 280's get to when running Crysis for an hour according to this, 90C is the highest I've seen on the top card. I have gotten it to 94C running Furmark for 30 minutes. I don't think that the 3870 is cool relative the GTX 280. Maybe a few degrees but then the performance difference between the two, I don't know if it makes a lot of sense to compare the two. At idle there's no difference.

I understand this but the gtx280 is a different beast. Idle power consumption is quite remarkable on the gtx280...gotta give props to Nvidia for that...but at Load this things turns from Dr. Jekyl to Hyde and it's sucking up a lot of juice and therefore producing probably twice the heat of a 3870 and then some. Perhaps the 3870 cooler is poor, which is why it has higher temps, but with a 3870, you still got the option to use an accelero. With the GTX280 you are stuck with stock cooling, unless you want to fork over another $500 for a descent water cooling kit...and I sure as hell don't, I'd rather use that extra $500 for some aero wheels.

it might have microstuttering, but it wont have microstuttering issues, as in people getting angry that its happening, it will be so faint that a human eye cant detect it.

it might have microstuttering, but it wont have microstuttering issues, as in people getting angry that its happening, it will be so faint that a human eye cant detect it.

Well that's all that counts obviously. So let it be set in stone, that THE 4870X2 DOES NOT HAVE MICROSTUTTERING ISSUES. :cool:

Can't say the same for GTX280 SLi though. :confused:

Well that's all that counts obviously. So let it be set in stone, that THE 4870X2 DOES NOT HAVE MICROSTUTTERING ISSUES. :cool:

Can't say the same for GTX280 SLi though. :confused:

Good grief you love to make stuff up. A lot more can be said about GTX 280 SLI since it’s actually is in people's hands right now. For you to set something in stone about an unreleased product is at best premature.

I can say that with my 3x SLI setup that MICROSTUTTERING IS NOT AN ISSUE in far more stone than you can set about the unreleased 4870x2. I thought that I saw in CoD4, but I enabled triple buffering and since the game is running at over 100+ FPS at max settings, 16xAA, 16xAF it probably wasn't microstuttering because of inconsistent frame rate speeds below a threshold. Once that that was set the game flies like an eagle and visually amazing. GRID Demo, Call of Juarez, UT3, TimeShift, F.E.A.R., HL2 and sequels, DiRT, Mass Effect, Lost Planet, Gears of War, Crysis: I’ve played these games for considerable amounts of time each one at least an hour on this sig rig, NO MICROSTUTTERING. Let me repeat NO MICROSTUTTERING. As in NONE. Sure there’s the omnipresent stuttering when scene loading, that type of thing, but no stuttering that isn’t present in single GPU gaming.

Most games are going have such high frame rates with 2x and 3x SLI that I don't see how that microstuttering is an issue with the vast majority of current games. This kind of GPU crushes almost anything, even Crysis with 3x SLI.

Could you PLEASE stop making things up. Once again, you're making indictments about hardware you don't have and have not used. Microstuttering is an overblown issue I believe and I would think that the majority of people with GTX SLI setups and 4870x2 are not going to see it.

Microstuttering has been blown way out of proportion ever since that one website posted about it, only later to do more reviews and be completely confused as to their own definition

People seeing stuttering often mistake it for MS - they're not the same!

Microstuttering has been blown way out of proportion ever since that one website posted about it, only later to do more reviews and be completely confused as to their own definition

People seeing stuttering often mistake it for MS - they're not the same!

Yah, they must be playing crysis...that game is one big stutter fest regardless of what your running...please don't confuse poor optimization in games like crysis with microstuttering.

Yah, they must be playing crysis...that game is one big stutter fest regardless of what your running...please don't confuse poor optimization in games like crysis with microstuttering.

How is crysis badly optimized again?

Back