4870x2 8.54 drivers = Wow Performance in COD4!!!!

Right when the level starts
Time: 60000ms - Avg: 73.483 - Min: 51 - Max: 175

From when you get downstairs and have to shoot the tanks
Time: 60000ms - Avg: 122.900 - Min: 56 - Max: 235. From when you put on the night vision to up stairs killing everyone on top.

I only tried cod4 actually. I start single player, get to the menu, and exit the game. After you exit the game, watch the temps drop to the floor.

i run 100% fan in game and 65% normal, so my temps are always low. Actually, ive ran the fans at 100% around the clock these past few days..

Well heres my benches, started like 3 sec into the mission and stopped at the end after u regroup

Min Avg. Max
29 70.816 214

Min was when i was getting shot, reloading, etc all at once. Anyway thats the frames i got when playing CoD like i used to on the xbox, nice, fast and quick, so it seemed to keep up. But, are those frame numbers good?

I installed the 300 mb file. As stated previously I do not have AA so I must have missed the modded INF.

Do I need to reinstall with the modded INF or can I drop a file in place of another to enable AA.

Frames: 7374 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 122.900 - Min: 56 - Max: 235. From when you put on the night vision to up stairs killing everyone on top.

so you started after the game begins, like you go down and that guy is jumped? and ended after going upstairs and killing everyone up top?

If yes, bench the whole mission, or a harder sequence, because that part of the mission isnt stressful compared to the rest of the mission.

so you started after the game begins, like you go down and that guy is jumped? and ended after going upstairs and killing everyone up top?

If yes, bench the whole mission, or a harder sequence, because that part of the mission isnt stressful compared to the rest of the mission.

I'll bench the entire mission, but the beginning is the most stressful.

From Beginning to last part about 5 min:
Time: 300000ms - Avg: 89.703 - Min: 37 - Max: 249

Card rocks. Install it right or give it the hardware/juice it needs. There is nothing wrong with it. The End.

FYI games are like 95% GPU/ram heavy not CPU so if you upgrade to Nehalem just for this card you won't see any improvements from a core duo/quad above 3.0ghz in games.

Dan,

New NV drivers out now, thought you may be interested in comparing these. The release notes are interesting.

Release notes:

Supports GeForce 6-series, 7-series, 8-series, 9-series, and 200-series GPUs, including the newly released GeForce 9800 GTX+, 9800 GT, 9500 GT, and 9400 GT GPUs.
Adds support for NVIDIA PhysX acceleration on all GeForce 8-series, 9-series and 200-series GPUs with a minimum of 256MB dedicated graphics memory (this driver package installs NVIDIA PhysX System Software v8.08.18).
Experience GPU PhysX acceleration in several full games and demos today by downloading the GeForce Power Pack.
Adds support for 2-way NVIDIA SLI technology with GeForce GTX 200-series GPUs on Intel® D5400XS motherboards.
Supports single GPU and NVIDIA SLI™ technology* on DirectX 9 and OpenGL.
Supports CUDA™.
Supports Folding@home distributing computing application. Download the high performance client for NVIDIA GPUs here and join the NVIDIA team: #131015.
Supports GPU overclocking and temperature monitoring by installing NVIDIA System Tools software.
Includes several 3D application performance improvements. The following are examples of improvements measured with v177.92 WHQL versus v175.19 WHQL driver:
Single GPU increases up to 11% in 3DMark Vantage (performance preset)
Single GPU increases up to 11% in Assassin's Creed DX10
Single GPU increases up to 15% in Bioshock DX10
Single GPU increases up to 15% in Call of Duty 4
Single GPU increases up to 8% in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
2-way SLI increases up to 7% in Bioshock DX10
2-way SLI increases up to 10% in Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts DX10
2-way SLI increases up to 12% in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
2-way SLI increases up to 10% in World in Conflict DX10
Includes numerous 3D application compatibility fixes. Please read the release notes for more information on product support, features, driver fixes and known compatibility issues.
Users without US English operating systems can select their language and download the International driver here.
*Note: Quad SLI technology with GeForce 9800 GX2, 3-way SLI technology, and Hybrid SLI technology are only supported on Windows Vista.

Edit:

I'm going to remove my X2 and put my 280 back in with the new drivers and have a go at four of the more demanding multiplayer maps such as: overgrown-downpour-creek-pipeline.

I'm going to go on my *subjective* feel compared to the X2 and report back in a bit.
Edit/Delete Message

I'll bench the entire mission, but the beginning is the most stressful.

From Beginning to last part about 5 min:
Time: 300000ms - Avg: 89.703 - Min: 37 - Max: 249

Card rocks. Install it right or give it the hardware/juice it needs. There is nothing wrong with it. The End.

FYI games are like 95% GPU/ram heavy not CPU so if you upgrade to Nehalem just for this card you won't see any improvements from a core duo/quad above 3.0ghz in games.

weird, we're using the same card and same settings but ur at a higher res and still getting higher frames? doesnt mae sense. Also you have 2gb ram and a quad core, but in CoD, should it be a difference of 20 frames especially since your at a higher res?

/facepalm/

lmao, I'm gonna look for his "alt" @ evga forums, w/ these results :p

btw thank Cactus for the direct links, gonna DL and try the out tonight in CF

btw I have 2 extra copies of Vantage ;) (from Sapphire)

Ok guys,

I've reinstalled my 280 GTX running at 706/1529/1300 and also at stock clocks of 648/1400/1161(177.92) did some testing on COD 4 to compare to the X2 with the final 8.8's.

My set up is in my sig, cpu at 3.0 to level the playing field for the average joe and a 22" 2 ms LCD.

AA/AF turned off in the CP, and set to supersampling and High Quality for textures.

In game 4AA/AF maxed-shadows off-sync every frame-otherwise everything is maxed.

I used the maps Creek/Downpour/Pipeline/Overgrown on multiplayer on at least 2 full runs each.

Every map there was slow down off and on, fluidity just was not there, which made me feel like I was playing on my 8800GTX. At this time I didn't have the fps counter on, I did this to get a feel of how game play was without being biased by concentrating on the fps.

Rebooted, and started all over again, this time with the FPS counter. Disappointment ensued for all maps-once again.

On Creek-which is easily the most brutal map, had me playing in the 30's most of the time, which was crap any way you look at , and not even worth the pain after twice on that map-my ping was always 50 or under.Every map I listed had it's slowdown, and lack of smoothness.

Now I decided to disable *sync every frame* same crap, frames plummet and slowdown.

Disappointed, hell yeah.

I'll check a little later on how the x2 handles it, but I already know it's substantially better than the showing I just had. I just didn't have any of the mentioned issues with the x2, so again, I'm a bit pissed at the results.

Random eyecandy pics:

Sorry to go off topic, but those screens are so damn sexy! Is that in the single player campaign with default settings? custom config? custom map?

How does it run at those settings, is it smooth gameplay?

Those shots are just so awesome looking, I thought Crysis looked good on my PC, but WOW! Playing at those settings on a HDTV would be so sexy.

lol dude thats like a 180 from speedy and dan's findings :D

I know it, but that's the results I have.

I'm not playing favorites to either card, I'm trying to decide which one stays and which one goes. I had the preconceived notion that the 280 was going back in and staying in, now I'm no longer sure of that.

You guys don't have to believe me either, I'm not asking anyone to, I'm taking it from my hands on with my setup.

EDIT:

I'm also not into max fps, the minimum is what I'm after. For me, it's essential to run with vsync on, I won't tolerate frame tearing.

ugh, i want to know why kadozer gets more frames at a high res than me.... Also im thiking about doing what i thought last night. Return my 4870 x2. Wait until december, compare final nehalem build reviews with current generation reviews. Pick the better of the two, build new comp, including the newest card at that time. Which may or may not be the 4870 x2. And if it is, well it'll be cheaper buy then :) Cause right now, im not happy with my 4870 x2 since people are more frames at a hgiher setting than me :(

Psshhh Dan_D sold out to Nvidia finally. They promised him 3 x gtx290x2 plus two 2000W psu all for free if he said that 4870x2 COD4 performance was subpar despite the card working great for him in every other game. ;)

Alright guys,

Those of you who have 280's and COD 4, hop into a populated server with these 4 maps:
Creek
Downpour
Pipeline
Overgrown

Use 4AA/Max AF and sync every frame, then let me know what you came up with.

I realize Dan didn't test these maps,so give it a try and post back how you were treated.

I did do a reinstall of the game as well and it's the same story.

After thinking about my results, I truly feel that if one is going to bench COD 4, then the only way is with the most taxing maps, yes? that makes the most sense if you want to see how it performs while being stressed.

So, with that said, Creek-at this time, is the be all end all maps for torment....by far, and I feel that will give results that show a cards capabilities.

It's a multiplayer map, I know, and the most gpu intensive. Test it by going into a server populated with at least 10 people, see how it goes. I can guarantee that it will make Bog feel like a walk in the park.

That's undoubtedly how COD 4 should be benched-in case you don't believe me, fire it up ;)

Edit:

In other words, I feel COD 4 reviews without this map are terribly generous(I've yet to see a review with this map included) to the final numbers and are not painting the whole picture, and producing inflated results.

So Sphere, from your POV

how would you rate the game play of the 280 vs the x2? Although I haven't reach any of the intensive areas of COD w/ the 280, it still performed w/ out any issues....I haven't had a chance to try it on my x2, as I've been @ work all weekend =(

Some CoD Screens at 1280 x 1024 12x Q AD CFAA 16x AF and in game max. Avg Frames = 70

15-30 seconds in

o6jmtv.jpg

End of mission

4tt2za.jpg

the game does look beautiful, but look at the frames, too low :(

Is that w/ your x2 speedy? and did it feel "choppy?" @ all?

yup, with the x2 and its only becomes choppy once in a while when i go from an area wheres its like 100 frames average to like 50. But still, compared to otehrs like kabozers, im getting really low frames for the res im playing at, and i cant find a fix or the problem :(

Also, in your opinion, do the shots look nice, or is the quality i experience with my 4870 x2 not that great?

are you using the new 8.54 betas? It's weird that everyone is getting such vast differences in performance w/ different drivers...guess I better download a bunch of different drivers to test out

are you using the new 8.54 betas? It's weird that everyone is getting such vast differences in performance w/ different drivers...guess I better download a bunch of different drivers to test out

yup, the 8.54 have been out for a some time now. i installed them on like the 20-21st i believe. i also got a bunch a new screens, uploading now.

have you tried any other drivers? and if you have, do you see improvement w/ the 8.54's?

Heres 9 new pics from Bog_B. Again frames aren't great...but enjoy!

Code:
[URL="http://www.picturepush.com/album/28439"]http://www.picturepush.com/album/28439[/URL]

thanks for the SS', they look pretty damn good...but I'm @ work w/ 800x600 resolution haha

Some CoD Screens at 1280 x 1024 12x Q AD CFAA 16x AF and in game max. Avg Frames = 70

15-30 seconds in

End of mission

the game does look beautiful, but look at the frames, too low :(

This is with vsync on...the frames never go below 60 fps in the beginning of this level now that I'm using the 8.54 drivers. This level is particular is extremely smooth with the 8.54 drivers with my set up. Some screens:

I'm telling ya, if you have to reinstall vista and then install 8.54 to get this thing running like I am, it's worth it. All settings maxed 1920x1200 4xaa/16xaf default settings in ccc panel. soft smoke endges on, etc.

shot0000.jpg

shot0007.jpg

thanks for the SS', they look pretty damn good...but I'm @ work w/ 800x600 resolution haha

haha thanx. but im thinking about, like later in the week, probably friday, to remove all the drviers etc. and install my 8800 gtx back in and see the frames. if it can do *decent* against the 4870 x2, then ill retrurn and wait till december. in the mean time ill get fallout 3 for the x360 and be immersed :)

well the 8800gtx is still a beast, I'm sure it will still be able to hold you over until Dec.

This is with vsync on...the frames never go below 60 fps in the beginning of this level now that I'm using the 8.54 drivers. This level is particular is extremely smooth with the 8.54 drivers with my set up. Some screens:

I'm telling ya, if you have to reinstall vista and then install 8.54 to get this thing running like I am, it's worth it.

1) what res r u playing at and what settings?

2) i formatted, clean install, and installed the 8.54 drivers like 3-4 days ago haha so i dont think i need another reformat. and ill ive installed since then is fraps, cod4, wic, and grid, all another hdd so it doesnt interfere. So its already clean :D

well the 8800gtx is still a beast, I'm sure it will still be able to hold you over until Dec.

haha, ill put in the 8800 gtx, oc it again, start CoD, put it on max, and the card will get like 10 frames lol if that happens ill be sad :( :p

so the 8.54's that people were claiming were the 8.8betas are actually the 8.9 betas? so they would be.. a more recent then the official 8.8s released a few days ago? did i get that right?

1) what res r u playing at and what settings?

2) i formatted, clean install, and installed the 8.54 drivers like 3-4 days ago haha so i dont think i need another reformat. and ill ive installed since then is fraps, cod4, wic, and grid, all another hdd so it doesnt interfere. So its already clean :D

1 - 1920x1200 4xaa/16xaf, all settings maxed. I'll try the bog at 8xaa and see what's up. It seems 4xaa on the bog is a bit too easy for this card with 8.54 drivers.

2 - You positve that the 8.54 drivers installed? Did you install it the way I installed it? When you cleaned the old ati junk, did you delete your old profiles, delete all your old ati junk in the "program files" folder. Install it the way installed it o see if it works that way. Also make sure you installed all the latest vista updates BTW.

so the 8.54's that people were claiming were the 8.8betas are actually the 8.9 betas? so they would be.. a more recent then the official 8.8s released a few days ago? did i get that right?

Yes, they are the newest drivers out on the net, and is what we can probably expect from the official 8.9s coming out next month.

1 - 1920x1200 4xaa/16xaf, all settings maxed. I'll try the bog at 8xaa and see what's up. It seems 4xaa on the bog is a bit too easy for this card with 8.54 drivers.

2 - You positve that the 8.54 drivers installed? Did you install it the way I installed it? When you cleaned the old ati junk, did you delete your old profiles, delete all your old ati junk in the "program files" folder. Install it the way installed it o see if it works that way. Also make sure you installed all the latest vista updates BTW.

Yes, i formatted my Hard Drive. Reinstalled vista. Installed the 8.54 drivers. As for the updates, im installing all 26 updates available to see. But my drivers are correctly installed, and they are the 8.54's. And they've been installed for aprx. 4 days.

w7jxj6.jpg

Back