4870 X2 what block do you use??

magoo

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
14,700
Going to WC my X2.

Which block...........Danger Den or EK????
Which block do you use and why???

All I've ever used is DD.

Suggestions are welcome, experience is welcome.

Thank you.
 
EK demands milimetric precision on install or it will bend the card. a bit more of strenght on the screws and your card will bend like an anaconda, maybe even die. and DD is cheaper.speaking as an EK 4870x2 owner: it is beautiful, but not worth the higher price tag and more delicate instalation.
 
EK demands milimetric precision on install or it will bend the card. a bit more of strenght on the screws and your card will bend like an anaconda, maybe even die. and DD is cheaper.speaking as an EK 4870x2 owner: it is beautiful, but not worth the higher price tag and more delicate instalation.

Please elaborate on the issues surrounding the use of a EK water block with a 4870X2. Thanks.
 
Please elaborate on the issues surrounding the use of a EK water block with a 4870X2. Thanks.

This is from my last EK block..... If you don't use GREAT CARE or washers, you can brink your card.

HD3870BlockPics015-1.jpg

HD3870BlockPics030-1.jpg

HD3870BlockPics014.jpg


Now I have the new Koolance 4870X2 block and it fits like a glove and looks incredible.

IMG_0619.jpg
 
R1ck, can you post a pic of your entire case in a PM to me? It looks really nice from the shots above :)

I'd go Koolance as well.
 
R1ckCa1n, I assume the issue is that the receiving portion of the WC block is not long enough so if you tighten the bolt in the picture all the way it will cause the board to bend towards the block? I hope you sent those pictures to EK.
 
IDK, I had DD blocks on my 8800 GTXs and I found the same issues; if I tightened the screws too much I could really bend the PCB a bunch.

I had to back way off what I thought was "just right" so the PCB would be straight.

That being said, DD looks like my choice.
 
I love my DD 4870 X2 block, sitting at 38C idle on both GPU's right now. Think about it, I have this monster of a VC, and a E3110@3.6GHz at 1.3V, all sharing a 240mm rad with two 120mm 1500yate loons pushing out of the case. Lol, I was worried I might need an extra rad with this setup.

IMG_2800.jpg
 
I'd like to submit the aquagratiX for HD 4870 X2 for consideration. Same price range as the EK, arguably better quality/looks. Didn't buy one yet, but considering to just order it together with a pump directly from aqua.
 
I'd like to submit the aquagratiX for HD 4870 X2 for consideration. Same price range as the EK, arguably better quality/looks. Didn't buy one yet, but considering to just order it together with a pump directly from aqua.

that was the one i wanted but just didn't want to wait for a USA based reseller to stock them.

that block is the BOMB
 
wow that is one sexy block...

hey rick, if you don't mind can you post a list of what you are using as far as pump, radiator, cpu block etc.

I'm trying to see if I can fit something in my SFF
 
I'd like to submit the aquagratiX for HD 4870 X2 for consideration. Same price range as the EK, arguably better quality/looks. Didn't buy one yet, but considering to just order it together with a pump directly from aqua.

That is one nice looking block. I wish the spacing on any one of these damn full blocks would fit 1/2" 3/4" BP compression fittings! :mad:
 
That is one nice looking block. I wish the spacing on any one of these damn full blocks would fit 1/2" 3/4" BP compression fittings! :mad:

I use the same tubing size and planning for a full coverage block as well. You can also get the 45 rotaries from Bitspower for the cover. I think there are also some kind of BP extension that is normally used for Swiftech products (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
 
I use the same tubing size and planning for a full coverage block as well. You can also get the 45 rotaries from Bitspower for the cover. I think there are also some kind of BP extension that is normally used for Swiftech products (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Yup. My plan is to go with the rotaries but it would be nice not to have to use them. Is there a straight extender from BP? I couldn't find one myself. Thanks.
 
I had the DangerDen waterblock on mine. The temp drop is amazing - friggin 85C full-load to 36C full-load, and no noisy fan. /drool The 4870x2 wasn't performing as well as it should in my system for some reason though (there are a bunch of reported cases on the ATI forums about this...never could fix it with any version of the drivers), and the voltage regulator coil (or so Sapphire says) was oscillating like crazy, making really...really...annoying noises whenever certain 3D games were played. I'll be selling my DD waterblock on here...as soon as i get 50 posts, that is. :\ Silly post requirements.
 
I had the DangerDen waterblock on mine. The temp drop is amazing - friggin 85C full-load to 36C full-load, and no noisy fan. /drool The 4870x2 wasn't performing as well as it should in my system for some reason though (there are a bunch of reported cases on the ATI forums about this...never could fix it with any version of the drivers), and the voltage regulator coil (or so Sapphire says) was oscillating like crazy, making really...really...annoying noises whenever certain 3D games were played. I'll be selling my DD waterblock on here...as soon as i get 50 posts, that is. :\ Silly post requirements.

so if you are selling the DD wb, what do you plan to go w/ after? or are you switching out the x2?
 
I went with the DD WB as the EK silver plated was sold out. I used EK on the 8800GTX and I ran into the problems mentioned above that if you arent careful, you can warp your card. With the DD, there was no problem with the 4870X2. Before the temps with the fans set at 75% was 45 C idle and 65 C during Crysis. Now running quiet with the waterblock and its 36 C idle and 42 C max in Crysis with overclock 865 for gpu and 1850 for mem.

DSCF0270.jpg

DSCF0272.jpg

DSCF0273.jpg

DSCF0277.jpg

DSCF0291.jpg
 
EK, would go with DD if I did it again. Temps are similar and the DD has a safer install.
 
I'd like to submit the aquagratiX for HD 4870 X2 for consideration. Same price range as the EK, arguably better quality/looks. Didn't buy one yet, but considering to just order it together with a pump directly from aqua.

Keep in mind if you want to go crossfire, or simply want inlet or outlet on the other side of the block you have to shell out another 40$ for the adapter and new faceplate. They don't seem to offer a plexi version of this like they did for the 8800GT G92 block.
 
Interesting. I was leaning towards one of the EK blocks (Nickel) but I might be switching that to a DD. While I'm all for looks, function wins out for me.
 
Went with a EK Acetal block. I wanted the nickel block with the acrylic cover, but this one was the only model Sidewinder carried.

Installation wasn't that bad, you don't even have to be so meticulous with the thermal pad like the instructions indicate. You definitely can't gorilla-tighten the screws because they will warp the card with ease; I used the torque required to remove the old HSF assembly as a guide for tightening the block screws. Using the nylon/paper washers is a must, I had a black screen upon first boot up because I was short one washer in the package. I loosened the offending screw and voila, POST. Used a washer from my case hardware pack and everything is dandy.

4870x2ln6.jpg

4870x1xy8.jpg
 
um...why aren't you using any hose clamps? am I not up to date w/ hoses and hose clamps? b/c I would be kinda nervous running a loop like that w/ out hose clamps or some pressure clamps

but if it's secure and you aren't running into any issues than kudos
 
I use a DD waterblock in a loop with my AMD X2 6000+. My 4870X2 is running at a cool 34 Celsius and it doesn't get any higher than 41 on load. I'm loving these temps compared to what I had to deal with on the stock cooler.
 
Back
Top