Votes: 36 38.7%
  • 2x Evga 260 GTX in SLI

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Evga 285 Gtx

Votes: 23 24.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two GTX 260 in SLI should be faster than any other setup, with the HD 4870 X2 following closely. The GTX 285 should be the slowest of the 3, but not by much in many cases. To avoid the hassles of a multi-card setup, I recommend you get a powerful single GPU, which falls into either a HD 4890, GTX 275 or, of course, the GTX 285.

GTX260 can be had for $199 - $50 rebate. Tiger Direct
HD4890 $229 - 20 rebate. Tiger Direct

GTX275 is about $249
Gtx285 is about $334 at buy.com

What's the best deal?

Legendary for you dragging it on. Choose a setup and be happy. Both perform very well and should not give you any problems.

yes but what makes it so difficult is I can get the 4870 x2 or the 2 gtx 260's at Both The SAME price..... I just dont want to make the wrong choice and regret it later on.

and in the end, every single setup is going to play your games at good fps at your resolution with no problems... flip a coin if you need to

your name says nvidia101... there is your answer (not to start a flame war, but normal reasoning doesn't work with this guy)

Yeah but their both the SAME PRICE. Not sure if I should leave that to chance.

LOL! That's even more reason to leave it to chance: They're the same price, they offer pretty much the same performance judging from the Bit-tech and Anandtech reviews, same in terms of driver support, same support if you go with the XFX branded HD4870X2, etc.

Shit no matter what you do, you'll end up with a good setup. Now you're just nitpicking.

Dozoy is right, this thread is going in circles. Just look through all of the information in this thread and figure it out yourself.

PhysX. CUDA. Folding. I'd say Nvidia :cool:.
These aren't really deciding factors, but considering everything else is equal, these features should give Nvidia the edge.

PhysX. CUDA. Folding. I'd say Nvidia :cool:.
These aren't really deciding factors, but considering everything else is equal, these features should give Nvidia the edge.

sarcasm .... :p (hey red got Havoc to go .... )

look at the bright side....

in a few months, new GPUs are coming out that are going to make your cards look pathetic anyways.

haha!

GTX260 can be had for $199 - $50 rebate. Tiger Direct
HD4890 $229 - 20 rebate. Tiger Direct

GTX275 is about $249
Gtx285 is about $334 at buy.com

What's the best deal?

Is the GTX 260 the "216 Core (Stream Processors)" version ? If so, that one is the best deal. If it's the older model with 192 Stream Processors, then the best deal would be the HD 4890, followed by the GTX 275. The GTX 285 is clearly overpriced, since the GTX 275 is not too far its performance and is almost $100 cheaper.

If I were going with a single card it would be a GTX285. I however do have a 4870x2 I bought in February. I was quite displeased with the drivers until the 9.5 came out, and am now very happy with this card. It happily runs anything I throw at it at 1920x1200 without issue, but does suck a lot of power. As for heat if you manually increase the fan speed, it doesn't run that hot. I would go with the GTX285 or the 4870x2, depending on if you want a single card or a dual card. I wouldn't go lower end sli because for the games that don't benefit from dual cards you would be limited by the speed of a single card that wouldn't keep up with the other 2 options.

for some reason i doubt that.

Your dual GPU solutions are always going to be overwhelmed by the next generation single GPU solution. one single fast card always has less problems than two lesser GPUs.

best of luck with your nitpicking.

Your dual GPU solutions are always going to be overwhelmed by the next generation single GPU solution. one single fast card always has less problems than two lesser GPUs.

best of luck with your nitpicking.

Except the 280 (which is of course faster than the 4870) wasn't twice as fast as 2 8800 GTXs (not even ultras). So now you think the 380 will be faster than 2 280s? Doubtful.

depending on your res, the gtx 280 is actually a little faster and far smoother than the 8800gtx sli; and faster than than the 9800gtx SLi as well

You probably mean "They're". But anyway, JacobC1983, you're totally wrong. 2 3870's were still faster than 1 4870, and 2 8800GTX was still faster than 1 GTX 280.

Unless you NEED a DirectX 11 card, upgrading now will suit you very well down the line.

Silus, Fry's is selling the EVGA GTX 260 - 216 for $199 - $50 rebate. Will EVGA rebate you $50?

frys-electronics-ads.com

Silus, Fry's is selling the EVGA GTX 260 - 216 for $199 - $50 rebate. Will EVGA rebate you $50?

frys-electronics-ads.com

LOL.... my rebate chance is always around 5%.... rarely they actually give you the money back..

Hey Nvidia101,

I know you've already decided but I posted up my 3dmark06 results of all my hardware changes over the past 7-8 months.

The content you may find interesting is the performance differences between the single 9800gtx+ to Single Gtx 260 (192core) to Dual SLI Gtx 260s, to single Gtx 285 to dual Gtx 285s and then back to dual 260 (216core). You'll notice how even dual Gtx 285s just barely edges out dual 260s at the end there making it probably one of the worst values while proving the dual 260s is an awesome value. I really do think you made the right decision. :cool:

Check it out: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1420519

i would def go with 2 gtx260 core 216s, i have one and love it. two would be even better

This talk about two 8800's or 9800's being faster than a single gtx280-285 is correct in pure shader power and 3dmark. My 3dmark scores and my games showed much higher FPS's with two 9800gtx+'s (890core speed on both with voltage mods) but the minimum FPS was the killer of those. (due to 512mb ram and 256bit memory interface on the 9800's) When I switched to my gtx285 I was disapointed in the fact that it didnt rip 3dmark up and my max frames went down in most of my games. But when you start and turn the AA wick up to 4x-16x this gtx285 is an entire different animal. Every test I did showed the gtx285 pulling away when pushed with high AA and resoluton above 1080P. I purchased 1 gtx285 over 2 gtx260 because I figured when the new 300series comes out I will just pick up another 285 for cheap. All of my friends that have gtx260's (5 of them, two with SLI)wish they would have picked up a single 285 after seeing what it does without the need for a bigger power supply and for what they use it for. I feel if you purchase two GTX260's you will envy the other guys with single 285's as my friends do with my rig. The 512-bit memory interface is what sold me on the extra $$$ for the 285, I just dont understand why nvidia didnt make the 295 with the 512bit interface or would have been all over that. Also consider the older gtx280 on 65nm since you can voltage mod with bios tweaks where my 285 is stuck doing cap mods to crank her up.

Stop creating new accounts and voting for what YOU bought, Mr. Nvidiapants!!! :D

Haha. I'm just messing. :p

I never Created any new accounts I only voted 1 time for the 260's and thats it. I would be misleading myself if i voted like 7 times in a row :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back